Friday 21 September 2018

Mailbag

Subject: Re: The Ticketmaster Nightmare

Hi Bob,

I am in charge of the fan club and band tickets for an act who play amphitheaters, "sheds" and arenas.

I have to fight for a reasonable allotment for our fans (and the band's guest list) and often lose. Credit card companies, sponsors, venue "patrons" and yes, Ticketmasters "Platinum" ticket program, are all allotted a HUGE majority of tickets before the sale ever reaches the public.

We have one of the biggest agents in the world however they have better things to do than to help me fight the 30+ individual venues for a better allocation. Even if we have the language in the contract to delineate our requests they simply strike it. So, our fan club members get a scattered amount of tickets in the first 5 rows and then random tix across the venue. Every pre-sale I get angry emails from fans about the available tickets. ESPECIALLY when it is a TM venue that shows the available tickets as people can see how many tickets are not available 10 seconds after the pre-sale starts. I then ALSO receive the angry emails the day before the show when all of those "holds" are released. "I paid to join the fan club and paid for a VIP package fee and got 12th row and now I see 2nd row is available for face value". Or, "I paid $275 for a VIP package and the person next to me bought their ticket two days ago for face value". This happens at EVERY show.

The days of blaming the scalper are over. All the above (including the band) are also the scalpers. However, in my experience the allotments to other parties are higher (and often have better seats) then the band is allotted. The age of social media has definitely increased transparency in all sectors of the ticketing business but most fans still expect great seats if they login right when a pre-sale or public sale begins.

In the mid-eighties I camped out overnight for numerous shows and was always one of the first in line. I ALWAYS received first or second row. Mostly front row. That just doesn't happen anymore.

My name is withheld for obvious reasons and I am not using my main email (but happy to let you know who I am if you want and keep it anonymous - we had dinner together years ago) :)

Cheers!

PS: Love that you stayed at Fergusons. I enjoyed talking to Tony at an event a couple years ago and he spent most of the conversation talking about it and how he loves the stimulation from the community vibe of his tiny house community. I didn't get it at all. It's the total opposite of the vibe I enjoy (solitude) but he did get me thinking… maybe I need to change.

______________________________________

Subject: Re: The Ticketmaster Nightmare

CBC and the Toronto Star caught them doing what they have told us they don't do and don't facilitate and want legislation against.

As for the fake sells outs- that can reduce interest- people assume its sold out

True story

My wife and Pal wanted to go to "hot ticket show". Sold out no tickets at face+

I call a friend on the tour to ask about buying- they are papering thousands
Free tickets for us.

These guys with the public companies have little accountability and don't act like they plan in being there next year

2 cents

TS

______________________________________

Subject: Re: The Ticketmaster Nightmare

Hi Bob,

I've been on the warpath all week with Ticketmaster. I was diagnosed with Stage 4b endometrial cancer 12/2017. Surgery 1/24/18. Six rounds of carbo/Taxol chemo from 3/20/18 until 7/2/18. CT scan three weeks after my last chemo. My amazing surgeon/gynecological oncologist, Leslie Boyd, MD at NYU Langone tells me I'm N.E.D. No Evidence of Disease. They saved my life!

My son (28-year old only child) gets me a $400.00 Ticketmaster gift certificate for Christmas. I hold on to it, as I'm diagnosed with cancer two days before. My 59th birthday was September 7. There's a single front row center seat on Ticketmaster to see my favorite act, Tedeschi Trucks Band, opening night of their Beacon Theatre residency October 5 for $699.00 before fees. To me, this show is worth the price. My son gives me a $500.00 for my birthday to make my wish come true. I go to buy the seat, shaking with excitement.

Can't complete the sale, and spend two days before I get a Ticketmaster customer service rep on the phone. Well, it turns out you can't use a Ticketmaster gift certificate to purchase a seat on the Ticketmaster website if it's a Ticketmaster resale. I've been paying the resale prices for years. Never would have my son waste his money if I knew about this policy. You have to dig through the gift certificate FAQ's to find this information. Also found out you can only use one gift certificate per show. I've attached a copy of my gift certificates to show you how deceptive the actual gift certificate looks.

I used twitter for the first time this week, posted on their Facebook page, my Facebook page, my public Instagram www.instagram.com/colleenrubinophotography and have responded to two emails with no success or resolution. That ticket is still for sale. Ticketmaster is a monopoly. They didn't care about my situation, and I will do my best to purchase my resale tickets from StubHub going forward. I am still passionate about live music, but fed up with these schemes. Thank you for listening. Love your work!

Colleen Rubino

______________________________________

From: Corey Spears
Subject: Re: The Ticketmaster Nightmare

I find it interesting that the article leaves out how it affects artists. As a bass player for a developing country regional act, we make our money off of touring. We get paid on guarantees. We justify our guarantees with ticket sales, alcohol sales, and other forms of generating revenue for the venue so we can get paid. We have had 500 plus people in a show drinking constantly and get paid 1-3k. If they make 10k or more we are getting a small portion of that.

Although the author is well meaning, they seem to be void of a solution to combat these issues. The "solution" is limited to "scalping is evil ohhhh fake accounts" without looking at how much venues screw us. Or how much pay to play is in the industry with media purchasing.

Our band gets lectured on our overall numbers even if the venue itself didn't promote the event. Honestly, the secondary ticketing sites fill a gap. The gap being poor promo by the venue/promoter/talent buyer.

As far as the fans go, this is how we get good deals because the idiots at the door try to upsell way too much. Then the price goes down and they take a loss, which we get blamed for.

These guys should worry more about how to help the artist and less about the poor venues which they are calling "fans". If they were doing their job correctly we wouldn't have to rely on scalpers to promote our shows.

"Well hey Corey shouldn't that be in your rider?"

Yeah, good luck getting them to sign it unless you are big.

"Well, contracts?"

Generally, you have to go to court in the venue's area for litigation. It's way too expensive for us to even bother with. Artists are getting screwed constantly. Again although well meaning, they offer no solution. Scalpers help us put asses in seats since society decided music was free, but God forbid we hurt the precious venues.

______________________________________

Subject: Ticketing and your upcoming event at City Winery

Bob, we are looking forward to having you at City Winery on your tour—very cool. We wanted to make a comment about ticketing, as this is one of the many reasons that since opening, City Winery ticketing has been paperless. 10 Years ago we looked around but decided to build our own ticketing solution to serve our fans. We've offer a loyalty program called "VinoFile" where the fan doesn't pay any service fees and gets 48-hour advance notice of concerts before the public on-sale. It's been tough and we've had lots of challenges, as we are not a technology company, but a music venue (that also makes wine:) and in 6 cities now and growing, but we're proud to keep ticketing in-house. While not giving Live Nation or AEG a run for it, we are now selling over 500,000 tickets a year, we make most of our money from the sale of Food and Beverage, and let the artist take the disproportionate amount of the ticket income. It seems a good balance especially to our older audience who appreciate an intimate, yet luxury concert setting and great wine list, real food, and wine served in Reidel glasses, not plastic cups. We look forward to hosting your event here at City Winery NYC next month! https://citywinery.com/theloft/lefsetz-vs-flom-at-the-loft-10-18.html

Michael Dorf
CITY WINERY | FOUNDER & CEO

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Hot Tuna At The El Rey

Bob,

Thanks so much for the wonderful telling of your experience seeing my old friends Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen. I too, went to see their show in Seattle, and visited them backstage before the show. I have a beautiful story to tell about myself and them.
Before I was ever in Santana, there was a possibility that I might be playing in Jefferson Airplane. I first saw both Jefferson Airplane and Santana at a concert at a small park in Palo Alto CA. Silicon Valley now. A free concert that blew my mind. The San Francisco scene was already happening and in full bloom. I must have been 17 years old. An aspiring jazz drummer, but this hippie scene was strong and compelling. Actually, it was the music that got me. Anyway, Santana was really something. I had seen them, literally, at a church dance in San Carlos with my brother Kevin, and was impressed enough to proclaim to him that, "This is the band I want to play with!". And later, at that day in Palo Alto, I observed Carlos from a distance, at this concert, again with my brother Kevin, and Carlos. was dressed in a blue fishnet t-shirt and strange big bell bottom type of jeans with a big black belt that was really long and hung down the front of his pants. It, and he, I noticed, were different. Like, really different. That moment made a strong impression on me.
Then Jefferson Airplane came on. Everybody knew this music at the time, even though they were up and coming. They were already big news, but as a teenager standing there watching this band, and looking at Jack Casady, with his hair, and his shades, and his clothes, and that big electric bass, the one thing that I remember thinking was, "What does it take to be THAT cool?" I was already familiar with Jazz cats like Miles Davis and Roy Haynes who embodied severe coolness, in style and fashion, but this was a different thing. Plus it was white guys!
OK, cut to I don't know how long later, but Jack and Jorma contacted me to get together and play. Apparently there was talk of finding another drummer for the band. So, up I went to the infamous Airplane mansion at 2400 Fulton Street in San Francisco, and proceeded to have a series of all night jam sessions with the two of them, and others that would come in at times. As you can imagine, this is heady stuff for an 18 year old aspiring jazz drummer..
Cut to the San Francisco Airport, where things seemed serious enough that Jorma and Jack invited me to fly down to LA with them and observe them recording. This was my first time on an airplane and I'm flying with Jefferson Airplane! ...Hello!!!
I stayed with them at the Landmark Hotel (confirmed last week by Jorma). So here's my Forrest Gump story...
Jim Morrison drops by to visit! I kid you not. Mind you, this is before Jim Morrison was an icon. He was just another singer in a popular band. Eric Clapton dropped by with a reel to reel tape (I though it was a cassette, but Jorma confirmed last week that it was a reel to reel) Of course, This was BEFORE cassettes!. Anyway, Eric was very excited about this new group called "The Band" and this was there first record. So, let me stop here and tell you that my brother Kevin, a great guitar player , and I devoured, like everyone else, the John Mayall Record with Eric Clapton. Everyone did.but, lest you think I took this stuff lightly, you would be wrong! This was all absolutely amazing to me. But Jack and Jorma were so chill, so cool, in the way they just let me be there with them.....But! That's not all!!!
So we go to the recording studio that night. The year was 1968. The album was Crown of Creation. Who walks into the studio? None other than David Crosby!! Now, I could literally post a photo here of me in high school with a photo of the first Byrds album that changed my life. I'll spare you that. But I
What I did observe was David showing Jefferson Airplane the most beautiful song. It was called "Triad" Later, years later, David and I became close friends, sharing our respect for writers like Dylan Thomas and musicians like John Coltrane. These relationships still last to this day. I am grateful, appreciative and have the most respect for all these guys.; My last conversation with Jack was how do you keep in shape? And man, this guy does miles of hiking and biking. I think that is so cool that these guys are setting new examples for us all. Much respect.

Much Love.

Michael Shrieve

______________________________________

From: Jorma Kaukonen
Subject: Of Cabbages And Kings

Dear Bob...

Jorma here, but you probably figured that out anyway. Needless to say thanks for the writeup. About a hundred of my friends sent me emails with a link to your site wondering if I had seen it. Good stuff. I look forward to having a longer conversation with you at some point if you're still into it. I think we'd have some fun. Now, as I'm fond of saying, where I live is a destination not a waypoint but we do occasional Pho dinners at the Fur Peace Ranch. I've eaten a lot of Pho in my time and ours is as good as any and better than most. In addition, my friend John Hurlbut (who is our Ranch Manager) and I play for the supper crowd. It's a lot of fun.

In any case, again thanks for the heartfelt review. I say about our music the same thing I tell people about my book. You may or may not like what we do, but we are always honest.

Nuff said...

I look forward to seeing you down the road.

Be well

Jorma

ps I can't believe my old buddy Steve actually stayed all night.

jk

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Leon Bridges At The Greek

One of the best first lines I ever heard from an artist was when Ludacris played my venue. With just over 4,000 people in the crowd, only 3 were black. He said "Where are all my peeps" Everyone died laughing and the show began. That's exactly what I was thinking when Leon Bridges played my venue Labor Day Weekend. (3700 people and I think 6 black.)

Where are all my peeps???

PS The show was AMAZING!

Will Korioth
Owner/Buyer Whitewater Amphitheater

______________________________________

From: Ritch Esra
Subject: RE: Eagles At The Forum

Bob,

Great piece - 1 Thing though - Seven Bridges Road was a single. They issued it as a single, with "The Long Run" (live) as its B-side; It reached #21 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 becoming the group's final Top 40 hit until "Get Over It" by in 1994.

"Seven Bridges Road" also became the third Eagles' single to appear on the Billboard C&W chart, reaching #55 there.

At the time Eagles charted with "Seven Bridges Road" the song's composer Steve Young commented: "I didn't like the Eagles' version at first. I thought it was too bluegrassy, too gospel. But the more I hear it, the better it sounds."

______________________________________

Subject: Fwd: Eagles At The Forum

They truly are a band that keeps getting better….I promoted that first show at the Forum 43 years ago…it was their arrival into the major leagues..…and played them in shows all over the US including putting them on California Jam in 74….saw and worked with these guys and Irving from the very begiinning…and their chops kept getting better….no matter how many years they took off, or who was added or left the band. I Had the opportunity to see them both at the Garden and Forum on the last tour with Glen…and they were spectacular…and got a great backstage hug at the Garden from Glen after some 30 years of separation which I will always remember…..Can't wait to see them this time around…Glen will be there somewhere smiling that this vision is still rolling down the highway……they truly were too great to go away.

Sepp Donahower

______________________________________

From: Seymour Stein
Subject: Re: Second Try

Totally agree!!!

Savoy Brown were one of the best of several British Blues bands produced by Mike Vernon. Another great Blues band Mike produced at Decca was Ten Years After.

Mike was at Decca, back in the mid-60's. Like most staff producers, Mike could do just about anything. He produced David Bowie's first recordings, released under his real name David Jones.

Perhaps best known for producing John Mayall's Blues Breakers which provided launching pad for Eric Clapton. Other members included Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. The Blues Breakers we're responsible for starting the British Blues movement in the UK. When any members asked Mayal for more money he would promptly fire them; seems there was always someone new ready to fill their shoes.

When Peter, Mick and John all confronted Mayall for a raise, thinking there might be strength in numbers, he fired them all. Mike Vernon suggested they start their own band
and launched Blue Horizon Records, as home to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and the rest is history.

On Blue Horizon, Fleetwood Mac's early hits included, "Albatross," "Black Magic Woman" and "Need Your Love So Bad."

Soon after, Mike signed Chicken Shack, fronted by Stan Webb with Christine (McVie) Perfect, on keyboards. Christine had her first hit, "I'd Rather Go Blind" on Blue Horizon, before leaving the band and eventually joining Fleetwood Mac.

Other great Blue Horizon artists were Duster Bennett and Johnny Almond.

Mike also brought Fleetwood Mac to Chess studios in Chicago and co- produced with Marshall Chess, an amazing set of recordings with blues greats Otis Spann, Willie Dixon and many of the other Chess blues players.

Mike Vernon is very much responsible for the British Blues movement in the UK.

In addition, Mike produced Sire's first million selling single, "Hocus Pocus" and Gold album "Moving Waves" both by Dutch band, Focus, I signed to Sire.

Mike also produced an amazing album with Sire artist, Martha Velez, "Fiends and Angels,"
which featured Eric Clapton, Stan Webb and Paul Kosoff, all on guitar, Christine Mc Vie on
piano, Jack Bruce on bass, Brian Auger on organ, one of two fabulous albums Martha released on Sire. The other was "Escape From Babylon" produced in Jamaica by Bob Marley, early on in his career. Her version of "Get Up, Stand Up" was I believe, first recoding of the song.

In my opinion, British Blues do not get enough credit for their contribution to music in the late 1960's and beyond and most certainly Mike Vernon was greatly responsible for this.

All the best,

Seymour

______________________________________

From: Joel Selvin
Subject: Re: Tom Johnston-This Week's Podcast

No. 1 influence on the Doobies?
Moby Grape.
They literally styled themselves after the Grape in the earliest days. At "Stampede," they added Jeff Baxter on guitar to get that three-guitar, three-voice Grape sound. Once heard Tiran sing the living shit out of "Fall On You" during a sound check.
Also interesting that you thought they were Rolling Stone darlings. They didn't. They thought Rolling Stone ignored them and belittled them. I was supposed to make up for the magazine having disrespected the band with a cover article around the release of "Stampede," just before Tommy collapsed. The rehearsals for that tour I sat through at Winterland remain some of the best rock and roll I ever heard.
You're right -- the Doobies get no respect. Good one.

______________________________________

Subject: Re: The Emmy Ratings

Bob

You are so right about the things we take for granted that the kids don't care or even know about.

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.kcra.com/article/expert-millennials-can-t-find-stamps-don-t-mail-in-ballots/6428798

This echos a story a friend told me a few months ago about her intern. She wanted him to mail a thank you card. He was completely befuddled. The envelope was "the white thing". He don't have any vocabulary to articulate that he needed help writing "the destination" (address) and where could he get one of those "government stickers" (stamps)?

But why should he know? When I was a kid there was still such a thing as a telegram but I had no clue how to send one and didn't need to know any more than how to shoe a horse.

Best,

Michael McCarty

______________________________________

From: Edgar Koshatka
Subject: Re: Fergusons

Got a 40' Motor home a couple years ago. LOVE IT. Great for all kinds of special outdoor events, as well as music festivals (where tens-of-thousands of CD's are sold for CASH, all over the country, that Billboard or IRS knows nothing of), dog shows, weedmaps camping, and on & on.

______________________________________

From: Amanda Moore
Subject: Re: Fergusons


Please don't publish this, but this line is so disappointing to read from someone I've spent my entire career following that I had to say something.

"I hate Vegas. It's got no class. Money talks, and only money."

I've lived in San Francisco, LA, NY, Nashville and, for the past 5 years, Vegas has been my home. This statement could not be more incorrect. Perhaps it applies to tourists on a casino floor at 3 am, but not to the local community, who will without fail scoop up that belligerent human celebrating god-knows-what to get them to their room safely with a water bottle on their bedside table.

We also take care of our own and accept everyone as they are and rally around those that need help outside of the neon strip. This is the most philanthropically active city I have ever lived in - by far - and that world is not exclusionary. Though of course, like the rest of the world, the generosity of our wealthier residents is an important aspect of it, volunteers sustain the plethora of local charity needs - and EVERYONE volunteers.

Vegas Strong is truly representative of the soul of our city. The people that live here are educated, creative, savvy, kind, fun, supportive, and non-judgemental. Perhaps that last part is why a statement that is the antithesis of who we are upset me so. Or perhaps it's because, as we prepare for the one-year anniversary of the extraordinary tragedy that took place at Route 91, a remark so glaringly ignorant and insensitive about my home stands out even more.

Either way, you're as wrong about our city as you are the "huge llama" at Fergusons that is actually an average-sized alpaca (roughly 150 lbs - about 250 lbs less than an average llama).
https://www.inkari-alpaca.com/en/blogs/thealpacablog/10-differences-between-llamas-and-alpacas/

Amanda Moore
VP of Marketing
Live Nation Las Vegas

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Lefsetz Live!

BTW, your story about Louis CK (and now Les Moonves) - I've lived it. Was a lawyer, got excommunicated (i.e., disbarred) over basically sex harassment, and only because I (along with my wife) happened to make millions of dollars before all this went down am I able to keep my life. No, not the life I had (I'm much more isolated now, so-called friends abandoned in droves), but a very nice life nonetheless. Not sure what happens to all other offending males who don't have safety net. Something though should/needs to be done.

I mean, are we at the point where we are tossing men outside the city gates? On accusations alone? Sure seems that way. Someone needs to tell the story. I thought about writing a book, I've got time on my hands, but let's be honest, nothing good ever comes to those who get more publicity. My name is already perpetually tarnished on the 'net …. another truism, never read your press, good or bad. Folks treat #metoo offenders worse than rapists and murderers, at least those folks get second chances ... People went crazy over Louis CK and for what? Because he got out of his house and tried to ply his trade once again. Thanks for shining a light. I for one am not a boy scout; I fucked up, paid the price and still pay it daily. But still, aren't we too entitled to another chance?

Restless in Midwest! (If you print this please do not print my name or email; thanks)

______________________________________

From: Barry Lyons
Subject: Another tragic death

Bob -

It is with great sadness that I must pass along news of yet another tragic death that has struck the ranks of beloved music industry legends. Yesterday, at about 7:20PM, my beloved Kenwood KR-V9020 surround sound receiver/amplifier passed away quietly, in a corner of my living room. Purchased in 1975, it's acquisition inspired by audio classics such as CRIME OF THE CENTURY and THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON; it had spent most of the last 2-3 years alone in a corner, collecting dust. Possessed of an iron will, and 130 watts of awesome power, it had been little-used in its final years. Rather than "going out in a blaze of glory", it went quietly, pushed aside, despite its awesome sound, by a relentless tide of smaller, lighter, and yes, mostly inferior new technologies. Time marches relentlessly onward.

The receiver is survived by its offspring, a pair of still-spry Yamaha NS-10 speakers. Services will be held at Mesnikof Funeral Chapel on Friday. Those attending will receive a copy of WHO'S NEXT and a freshly rolled doobie.


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-TuneIn: http://tunein.com/lefsetz
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.