Tuesday 3 December 2013

Mailbag

From: David Ponak
Subject: RE: Gaga Tour

Bob,

Shame on your for mistaking a fun sample from Brenda Lee's "Sweet Nothin's" for "Kim's kittenish squeals so ridiculous you can only laugh."

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/211376/Kanye-West-Charlie-Wilson-Bound-2-Brenda-Lee-Sweet-Nothin%27s/

_______________________________________

Subject: Billy Joel
Date: November 25, 2013 1:51:19 PM PST

Long time reader. Wanted to share a little story with you. I have actually done well in your industry, but funny thing is I have invested in brokers business. Found them much more honorable than those on the primary. So last deal that came to me was for a Billy Joel series at MSG. Seemed like great idea. Then I heard the price..6X face value is what the BJ camp wanted. Then I got the same deal from another party...then another. I committed to my first guy. The money for the whole run had to be put in escrow. $3 million. Then word leaked, its not just 4 shows, they are just saying that...It's a 12 month run...plus a new years show in Brooklyn,,then it might be a 30 month run. After hearing all these new things I backed out, but I haven't gotten my money back yet. I see the seats all over Ticketsnow, a TM affiliate. So deal was done. So the man of the people William Joel, not only sold his tickets out at at 6X face value he isn't even letting the people know he might be doing 30
shows...Oh plus Summer stadium shows in the NYC area. Add another 120k seats! Maybe you can share with your people, don't rush to buy at crazy prices because there area a lot more tickets coming. Tweet it to the world. Please leave all my info out because I am in middle of lawsuit to get deposit back.

Jilted investor

_______________________________________

From: Gil Moore
Subject: Re: How To Make It

Bob,

I have the answer to your question:

"Oftentimes it's the drummer who both manages the band and gets gigs before professionals get involved. As to why it's the drummer, we're still trying to figure that out."

Back in my Triumph days, Allen Grubman asked me the same question - the answer ??

Drummers are always counting !!

Haha
Gil

_______________________________________

Subject: Re: How To Make It

About why it's usually the drummer who acts as agent in the beginning: in my experience, it's because he hauls the most gear and has the complicated sound check, so needs to be at the venue before the rest of the band, therefore is the logical choice to deal with club owners etc.

Mark

_______________________________________

From: Tom Rush
Subject: Re: Why The Major Label Doesn't Want Your Album

Bob,
From the trenches:

The Majors have been irrelevant to most working musicians for decades now.
Going it alone isn't really a choice that most of us have to make. I
remember being in a meeting at Columbia in the early '80s, pitching them my
latest project. Somewhere in the middle of it the A&R guy said, "We lost
$123 million last year, we have to be very careful." I thought, "Damn! In
one year alone I made $123.25 million more than these jerks -- what am I
doing here?" I haven't looked back.

For me, the advantage to working with a small label (Appleseed) is that 1)
they really do love the music, which is SO refreshing in this day and age,
and 2) they do a very good job with the promo, PR and distribution end of
things, which is stuff I'm not good at and don't have time for. I can make
more money putting stuff out on my own and selling just to the fans, but the
projects are totally invisible to anyone not on my email list or at one of
my shows. They get the word out, and it's very valuable.

TR

_______________________________________

From: Chris R
Subject: Re: Re-We Don't Want Your Record

I was playing an old tape of Slade for my daughter while driving. She liked a couple of the songs as do I but she said "Slade sucks". It took me 20 minutes to explain about albums and filler songs. She has no concept of listening to something because it's next on a list, or watching something because it's what's on TV. I downloaded the Slade song she liked and its part of her playlist. She's 12 and knows what none of these execs are willing to admit. Regards Chris


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.