Thursday 6 February 2014

Odds & Ends

"7 Things a Record Deal Teaches You About the Music Industry"

bit.ly/1fJmaPj

I wish I could have written this myself, but alas, I did not have the experience.

This is the best non-sour grapes delineation of what it means to make a deal with a major I've ever read. It illustrates that first and foremost major labels are about money, not art, and you should never forget this.

Teaching people that making deals with major labels is selling their souls is an enterprise just as worthless as trying to convince them their mobile provider is not the best and acts don't scalp their own tickets. People keep lining up at the door of these companies for a rocket to stardom. Actually, you can buy a rocket to the stars, the Russians sell one, you too can be a cosmonaut for...TWENTY MILLION! (Actually, now they charge $71 million, Lance Bass was gonna get a sweetheart deal.)

Money talks and we're the living proof, that's what Ray Davies said, and he should know. If you take it, you're owned by it.

And never forget that major labels are not in the artist development business, but the hit business. Their idea of artist development is taking nine months or a year to break something, if you think they're going to sit idly by while you noodle in the studio and record three stiff albums...you must've been signed to Warner Brothers back in the seventies.

However, although Spose says he's got a successful Kickstarter campaign and a fan base that generates cash, don't delude yourself into thinking he's a star. That's the major label's business. Or your own if you're really that damn good and willing to pound the boards building an audience over a period of years.

You cannot build an audience via Twitter and Facebook, social networking can only burnish the brand at most. It's the core that drives people to you...your music and your performance.

There is no easy way out.

Or, you can make a deal with the devil, but please have no illusions he's an angel.

_________________________________

I was wrong. Larry David was involved with the "Seinfeld" Super Bowl spot. He cowrote it with Jerry and directed it.

Mea culpa.

But the Beatles never got back together and the "Seinfeld" people should hang it up too. Otherwise it looks like you're holding on to the last gasp of fame. Then again, the "Seinfeld" reunion on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" was great, proving that there are no rules.

Then again, Jerry is the guy who is friends with both Leno and Letterman, the way he sits above it all bothers me. In other words, if you don't have enemies, if you don't have faults, if you've got no insecurities...I've got a hard time relating to you.

_________________________________

From: John David Souther
Subject: Re: Dealing With Hate
Date: December 20, 2013 10:15:55 PM MST

Bob,

Brilliant work lately. I completely agree with most of what you wrote about Linda Ronstadt's induction into Rock n Roll Hall of Fame a mere 40 years after she changed the sound of popular music, though our lives were actually a good deal more tame than is often portrayed. But then I was just inducted into Songwriter Hall of Fame this year and she and I are about the same age. …So What, as Miles played with more eloquence than I can say. The point was always to do good work. If something extra comes with it, you can only feel grateful. Just glad to be here (and there) and am even happier for her than for myself. A life in music, or anything you're passionate about for that matter, is its own reward. I always thought of Linda as my greatest collaborator, in a way, as she made my maturity as a writer imperative and still does. She has, in my opinion, the most beautiful voice of my generation and I'm still awed by the power of those performances. We speak often and I am sure she
knows how I feel but I welcome the opportunity to publicly say that she made my songwriting career a reality.

Regarding today's page about haters; I think a mantra is writ with "Hate is invisible until you amplify it". Thank you and Happy New Year.

Best till we meet again,
JD Souther

_________________________________

Subject: RE: The Super Bowl
Date: February 3, 2014 10:41 AM MST

Brilliant summary of Super Bowl weekend.

Well done!

Joe Walsh

_________________________________

From: Gary Wright
Subject: Your blog
Date: January 15, 2014 PST

Hi Bob,

I just read your blog about "Love is Alive" and was very pleased at what you said. It's true that although most people know me for Dream Weaver, the artists and musicians prefer Love is Alive. I am coming out with a book in September called "Dream Weaver" and it's basically my memoirs, including my music, meditation and my friendship with George Harrison. Penguin/ Random House are publishing it and I will be doing a nation wide tour of Performing Arts Centers beginning next October. If there is anything you want to do to announce the release or talk with me about the book let me know.

Thanks Bob

Gary

_________________________________

From: Phil Volk
Subject: Those overlooked by RRHOF
Date: December 19, 2013 12:18:28 PM MST

Hey Bob,

I read your piece on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees. It was very passionate and you definitely made some good points...Yeah, Hallelujah is a pretty strong word, but indeed, it really is about time that some of these groups get recognized. I agree. Some great rock bands from the 1960's have been overlooked for decades. One of the most visible groups of that era, Paul Revere & the Raiders, have been routinely passed over as "unworthy" or perhaps, "not cool enough," according to the "supercool hipsters" on the judging panel...What a shame. Paul Shaffer has been the exception with his constant love and appreciation for the band's legacy and long list of musical hits, that he often plays on the Late Night TV Show. His well-documented remarks that "the Raiders are, without a doubt, America's number one showband!" pretty much sums up his unfading & loyal admiration. He's told me many times, that the Raiders influenced him to pursue music when he was growing up, as he regularly
watched us perform on Dick Clark's "Where the Action Is" daily TV show...Will Lee has told me that he wanted to become a bass player after seeing me on the show and hearing my bass lines on our records. The people who actually witnessed our rise to fame, actually thought it was pretty cool, and well-deserved after our many hard-working years on the dance circuit in the Northwest. We were the real deal – we were real musicians first, showmen second... Little Stevie van Zant said it best: "The fact that Paul Revere & the Raiders have been overlooked by the RRHOF is simply criminal." I couldn't have said it better myself...

Keep rockin'

Phil "Fang" Volk
original bass player & core member of PR & the R's

_________________________________

From: Mike Caren
Subject: Re: Mailbag
Date: December 7, 2013 1:07:50 PM MST

I agree re many of Mikael's comments regarding managers. I don't think that acts realize how influential their manager is in whether a label, publisher or agent is going to go into business with them. It's not about having a big manager either. Big managers with too many clients and weak support are often worse than less experienced (yet smart) managers who are fully dedicated.

Now there are so many small promo outlets, so many little things a band can do, and so many choices when facing adversity, that how an act divides up their time is the most important decision they will face. There are still only 24 hours in the day even though every promotional opportunity has been watered down, and digital recording has allowed the writing and recording process to be cheap enough to go on infinitely. The act's schedule is the roadmap to its success.

On top of that, everyone is fighting to change that roadmap and defending it requires strong will plus the ability to deliver respectful no's. This includes to the act as well, or at least delivering impactful reminders of why earlier decisions were agreed to and what the real goal is.

I personally wish every act out there finds the right team. As an industry, I'd like to see better matchmaking and more superstar acts on every label (ok maybe more on WMG). It's good for the business and good for everyone. Hopefully our next wave of future execs get greater access to mentors and technology helps the manager matchmaking process evolve.

Mike Caren
Warner Music Group

_________________________________

From: BERTON AVERRE
Subject: Re: Hipster Death Spiral
Date: December 20, 2013 3:02:24 PM MST


On Dec 20, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Bob Lefsetz wrote:

"On Twitter all the rock critics are beating me up for saying that I'm happy with the R&RHOF inductees. I'm an idiot! Don't I know that I should be championing the obscure? That anything successful is not worth paying attention to?"

The old argument "if it's popular it can't be great" is trotted out by the so-called cognoscenti in all art and entertainment forms. It's pernicious in that it provides the wannabe whiners with the age-old Stravinsky false syllogism. A.) "The Rite Of Spring" wasn't understood in its time. B.) Stravinsky was a genius. Therefore, C.) Unappreciated in my own time, I must also be a genius. The argument as well just happens to supply a justification for critics and other commentators: "I'm smart enough to hear genius in what to you sounds like crap. You need me to figure this stuff out." Incidentally, the hostile reaction "The Rite of Spring" premiere got in 1912 was directed more towards the ballet choreography, which was considered bestial and ugly, and Stravinsky had already been a recognized success for "The Firebird".

But nowhere is the old "Popular vs. Great" paradigm more ludicrous than in pop music. Because being catchy, being entertaining, being immediate -- in other words, being a "hit" -- is a vital and essential aspect of the art form itself. Hell, it's in the name: Popular Music. Until the would-be opinion makers can make a compelling case that Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Chuck Berry and the Beatles weren't trying to make hits I'll continue to ignore their blather with contempt. I guess my knowledge of Italian is spottier than I thought. "Cognoscenti" must mean "Those who don't know what the f___ they're talking about."

_________________________________

From: Tom Lewis
Subject: Re: Hipster Death Spiral
Date: December 20, 2013 12:37:56 PM MST

Hi Bob,

In April 2012, Spanish singer Juan Zelada announced a 26 date UK tour with a money-back guarantee. He played to over 3000 people. No one asked for their money back.

Best wishes

Tom Lewis
Decca Records

_________________________________

Subject: Beyonce Wallmart Stunt - A new low in "shameless" self promotion
Date: December 21, 2013 12:09:06 PM MST

Hi Bob-
I don't normally "go off" when I happen to turn on the television and catch a network "news" program. But ABC did a piece this morning on Beyonce's surprise appearance at a Walmart in Massachusetts. She was allegedly there to "shop" for Christmas gifts. (Yeah, that sounds like where Beyonce would shop. ) So the cameras followed her around...and she just happens to stop by the CD section to pick up a copy of her new CD. (Like she needs a copy.) (And of course has a photo op of her holding the CD.) And then she surprises everyone by getting on the PA in the store and giving them all a Christmas gift! And what was the gift? - $50 per family. (My reaction is best expressed by Pvt. Hudson (Bill Paxton) in the movie "Aliens" - "Whoopty-F**kin'-do!")

So someone who prances around like a queen throwing pennies to the poor...she drops a whopping $38,000 on this charade. Now she is only worth around $300 million so this represents a real sacrifice. Now the fact that Target refused to carry her new CD since she leaked it on line and she was concerned that her fans might not know it was for sale at Walmart, I'm sure had nothing to do with this.

This is the Christmas season...these folks at Walmart are not shopping there because they don't like the merchandise at Neiman Marcus. She is a very intelligent business woman wanting to squeeze every dollar of profit. However, I think it is shameful that someone worth $300 million uses poor Walmart shoppers as pawns and buys herself a few million in free publicity for a token $38K. Everyone talks about income inequality. We have more income inequality in our society now than at any time since the Dark Ages....we live in a world where the precious few live in their castles and throw breadcrumbs to the poor. I'm sorry, but I just feel this stunt was just plain shameless and cruel. But as Beyonce might say..."Merry Christmas to me!"

Tom Sharrard
Gardiner, NY

_________________________________

Subject: Re: Retention
Date: January 3, 2014 8:35:49 PM MST

I work at an apple store and try to push people to verizon with every iphone I sell. I'm not incentivized to do so and actually, it's against apple policy to suggest one carrier over another. We're meant to be neutral and sort of neutered with our suggestions. I do it because i find it morally wrong to sell people the best phone in existence with a contract locking them to piece of s___ networks.

My ex was on Sprint and it was infuriating trying to communicate with her. We once drove around Venice all the way south to marina del Rey and she didn't have service for the entire drive.

My current gf has att and phone calls with her are unintelligible. I can only understand every 8th word she says. Infuriating.

Many cheapos balk at the price of Verizon ($5 more a month at the lower end, equal to att on the higher end) and as you said, so many are terrified of leaving. They have no idea what it's like to have a fully functioning cell phone if they've only ever had att. Change is SCARY I guess. Others don't want to give up their unlimited data (even though most of them have no idea what that means or are very small data users as is).

We get the fewest Verizon users out of all the networks at the Genius Bar because many issues people come in with are caused by their idiot cell networks. iPhones on T-mobile are non-functioning. Sprint iPhones are a tiny hair above them.

I loved your email. I want to send it to all my att friends but they'll never switch. NEVER!!!

Please remove my name if you repost. Apple confidentiality and all :)

_________________________________

Subject: I'll Eat You Last
Date: December 12, 2013 9:26:52 PM MST

After High School I went to Syracuse University to study Television Radio and Film in The Newhouse School of Public Communications...Besides freezing my ass off for 3 and half years..and smoking a lot of pot....I really got a great education...Did a lot of play by play sports for the local network and was known as Johnny Disk on the Campus radio station...

When I graduated I thought I would head home to LA..and..start a career in Broadcasting...but..I soon realized that wouldn't really work out since my Dad (yes I had one in the entertainment business) was one of the kings in the voice over world...He was the voice of ABC and Disney for over 35 years..Did 25 Grammy, Emmy, Academy and Tony Awards..Most of all the live variety shows..thousand of commercials...but..was probably best known as the voice of The Robot on Lost in Space...and he was only 50 when I came home...So I figured why the hell would anyone hire me if they could get him...

He was an absolute sweetheart and offered many times to try and help me..I idolized him..but..I really wanted to find out if I could not be known as his kid..and..make it on my own..since I always talked a lot and was loud I decided to apply in the mailroom at both ICM and William Morris..with the intent of someday maybe becoming a Talent Agent (though I had no idea what they did)..I got offered a job in the mailroom at ICM and made a whopping $125 a week..I was the only one in there without a law degree from some Ivy league school..Anyways..I worked my ass off, sometimes working 18 hours a day..Not saying a word and just absorbing everything I could like a sponge...

After about 2 months of this, one night Tom Ross (at the time the Head of the Music Department) came back from a concert at about 11pm..saw me (I was the only one still there) and said who the f___ are you..so I told him I was a mailroom boy who really did not want to be a mailroom boy..He asked me if I would want to work in the Music Dept..(beside my Dad being best friends with Miles Davis) I told him I know nothing about music except the music I liked..but..then I told him I would love to work in the Talent Department...He said let me to talk to someone..Two days later I was told to go to Sue Mengers office..

I thought..oh s___ I sent Streisand's picture to the wrong person or place..I walked in shaking like a leaf and was to told to walk in to Sue's gigantic office and sit down..I did..She glared at me and then said "so do you know how to roll a joint?"...I started laughing and feeling very relieved..told her not only could I roll a doob..I could do it while driving my car with my legs..and roll a perfect one..She laughed and told me I was hired...so like an idiot.. I said you mean to roll your joints..she laughed and said no dummy you are my new assistant...and..that started an amazing year and a quarter..and..a..pretty good career...

Sue's first 5 calls every morning were.Streisand, Dianne Von Furstenberg, Barry Diller, David Geffen and Robert Evans..and at 11:30 every morning without fail..Rona Barrett (who was the gossip columnist for ABC) would call and Sue would dictate word for word the entire script for her evening broadcast..She would wear moomoo's everyday..no underwear underneath and when Marvin Josephson (who owned ICM) would walk in she would put her feet upon her desk..lite up a joint..spread her legs (not a pretty sight) and say Can I help you Marvin?...

Every phone call from a potential buyer for one of her clients always started with I won't read it without at least a 2 million dollar offer..She was a wonderful teacher..because..I was the one who read the script first and she really wanted to know what I thought of it..I'll never forget the time she came into the office around 12pm one day and said I've got great news for you..you are going on your 1st business trip.

I go great..where am I going..she said Oakland...I say great why Oakland?..She laughs and tells me her $150 thousand dollar Mercedes was stolen and I'm going up there to drive it home..So I get on the 1st plane up there and of course by the time I arrive.. the compound where the car was being held was closed..So on my $125 salary I book a room..pick up the car the next morning and proceed to drive it back..and get pulled over twice for driving a stolen vehicle...I was 25..long hair and certainly didn't look like I belonged in a car of that caliber...I was so shaken by the time I got back..I told Sue..next time you want me to take a business trip..you take it...

I was a horrible assistant..didn't take short hand..so she would dictate..and.I.would rewrite every word...When I finally became an agent..the 1st client I signed was at the time a very hot Shirley Jones...Those were the days before computers and emails..so all the agents would get interoffice memos...She wrote to me..which I still have..cc'd all the other agents and said..."Thank God You Sign Better Then You Type"...Love,Sue...

Bob..My Wife, Emily (who I met at Syracuse and been married for 36 years) and I saw the play last night..Midler was perfect...and...every story and line in the play was spot on...and...the...memories came flooding back into my soul...Sue was right..It was fun..so much fun..Sorry to be so lengthy...but..I wanted to write to you after I saw it...By the way..Talent skips a generation in my family...Both my kids are doing great...and..my Daughter,Amanda is in the music business...with no help from Dad..Read you all the time..and...always enjoy your insights..Peace..Bruce Tufeld


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.