Saturday 6 August 2016

Re-Black Rose

Bob: J.D. was the biggest STAR on Asylum records. But, you have to have talent (J.D. in spades) You must know how to play the game (Geffen & Roberts, invented the postmodern record business) You must play perfectly well (G/R tried everything) But, you still have to get LUCKY to win. It's great to see J.D. winning. You have not seen the best of his love. Watch for an epic work currently lurking around in a Rock & Roll mind. As ever, Hartmann

____________________________________

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the very welcome piece on "Black Rose." J.D. certainly deserves the accolade. And don't forget that he's still getting it done. For Linda Ronstadt's Lifetime Grammy Award this past April (to be televised Real Soon Now, I'm told), J.D. introduced her, and before he did, he performed with just an acoustic guitar and really nailed it. As we watched from the side of the stage, I was struck by how a great song performed straight from the heart doesn't need a tricked-out, four-on-the-floor, EDM-inspired, Ableton Live track. It speaks directly to everyone - all you have to do is listen.

Best,
John Boylan

____________________________________

Hey Bob!

Yessir, that was indeed my bon mots you were reading re: J.D. in S&V. If you want to go further down the rabbit hole, I posted what I call the super-deluxe expanded edition of that interview on my own site, The SoundBard, which is even longer that the longer version that I posted on the S&V site: http://www.soundbard.com/soundbard/jd-souther-hastens-down-the-wind-of-high-res-with-his-new-solo-album-reissue-series/

...after which I was finally able to cross-reference J.D.'s comments with the super-long interview I had done with Linda Ronstadt a year or so prior:
http://www.soundbard.com/soundbard/sound-quality-dreams-linda-ronstadt-on-her-unyielding-passion-for-true-high-fidelity/

...wherein, among other things, J.D. was able to confirm the speakers they listened to/owned back when they lived together (which he still owns to this day), and he clarified the "musicality" of the B-29s that flew overhead in Tucson that Linda discussed in her book, Simple Dreams.

Rock on,

Mike Mettler
The SoundBard

____________________________________

Nice. Midnight Prowl my fav on a record of favs.

Bob Morelli

____________________________________

Thank you Bob. You just covered a top 5 record in my life. Maybe top 2 in regards to me wanting to write, play and sing.
Souvenirs by Dan Fogelberg in that club.
Back to J. D.
Not many if any sang better together than JD and Linda. Her cut of Prisoner in Disguise when it feels like the world stops at the end when they sing the tag line.
But Black Rose, w/ Lowell, Joe Walsh, and a cast of my heroes. That record is in my bones, every note, every sliding string arrangement, the haunting horn solo on Doors Swing Open.
Thx for what you do.

Michael Lille.

P.S. Correction. Violin solo on Doors Swing Open. Jerry Hey's trumpet is on Midnight Prowl. It's all in my head after reading your email, going home to drop the needle now.
Thx again.

____________________________________

Hey Bob,
An absolutely a brilliant artist, Brilliant! In the 70's I promoted JD and SHF albums at radio, as well as sales in Western Canada. Of course along with everything on Warner, Reprise, Elektra, Atlantic & associated labels like Swan Song, etc. I was extremely fortunate.

Cheers,
Olie Kornelsen

____________________________________

Thanks for this.

Black Rose is one of the best singer/songwriter albums of all time. I've been its proud owner on vinyl since long before I met J.D.

Every song is a gem, but Faithless Love brings a tear to the eye and an ache to my heart every time I hear it. It's a staple on a number of my favorite playlists.

Now that I've heard about all the unreleased tracks, I'm going to have to go out and get the expanded edition.

Marc A. Von Arx

____________________________________

Well deserved nod to one of the great songwriters. I am your age Bob, and over the last number of years I have come to appreciate the craft of songwriting which is something I took for granted at the time it was happening. Black Rose is a perfect example. Had the great fortune to see JD at McCabe's a couple of year ago and he was sublime. Think his voice is better with age. Made me go back and check out his more recent offerings and they are quite wonderful. Man, I never get tired of "White Rhythm and Blues".

Cheers.

Bill Stolier

____________________________________

One of the records that split my head open. 'Can't wait to hear the new extras.
I still - still - find myself singing "banging my head against the moon" every few days.
A true work of art from start to finish. Thanks for bringing it back up, sir.

Mystiquero

____________________________________

This is one of my favorite records of all time. Saw JD open for the Eagles and Black Rose hooked me. As much as Hotel California did. And these dates at the Forum were before that album came out or maybe the same week. They opened with Hotel California which none of us had heard. But it was Black Rose that really got me. still does.

Rev. Bill

____________________________________

Dear Bob,

One of my favourite albums.
This is practically a Public Service Announcement, so thanks.

Andy Murray

____________________________________

One of my favorites. I bought it when it came out and still play it
occasionally.

Jeff Gold (not that Jeff Gold, but I have his book on my coffee table!)

____________________________________

So cool that you wrote about this.
Black Rose forever remains as one of my all time Top 10 favorite albums.
And yes, old fashioned me bought all of JD's remastered catalogue a few months ago from Amazon.

Hugh Surratt

____________________________________

That's my favorite JD Souther album.
Still have the CD, still listen to it often, especially when I'm listening to Linda Ronstadt.
Pure talent.....great songwriter.
Almost nobody has that kind of soul in songwriting today.

Matt Mavrolas

____________________________________

I bought all 3 Omnivore expanded reissues on day of release. I was really waiting for "Black Rose", but took a chance and bagged all three. "Rose" is still the cream of this crop...but give a listen to "Home By Dawn" if you haven't. It's definitely "of its time" production-wise, but it's a really nice listen. Kind of a lost treasure.

Rob Maurer

____________________________________

Thanks my friends

its treat to see a 40 year old work of mine getting some love. Right back at you.

Bob, thanks for singling out Your Turn Now and Baby Come Home. They are booth in the current set!

truly grateful
JD


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.