Saturday 21 January 2017

Re-Howard Kaufman

Hey Bob,

Long time no see or talk to. I guess it takes something like this. Well, as usual, you were right on the money with your piece on HK (pardon the pun). I haven't told a lot of people this story, but I think you would appreciate it. (code of the road, of course ha ha). Once upon a time, back in the days when conflict of interest actually was a problem, Irving went to run Universal and divested himself of Frontline, my management company. It was a puzzling time for me, because Irving told me, it would be okay, but Irving was my manager and the one I talked to the most back then. HK, was the accountant and fire brigade for some of Irving's incendiary moments. That is when HK management started, and since none of us in those days had contracts (can you even fucking imagine that in this day?), I was free to make that switch or look for an option. My decision, at the time was to ask Nina to manage me. She politely refused and said these few words. "You should stick with Howard. You will be ok."

As might be expected, it was a tough day for all of us, having just spoken to him on Tuesday, planning to have breakfast with him yesterday and go over the summer tour. I got a call in the morning, saying he wasn't feeling well and I rescheduled for today. Well, that meeting did not happen. But what did happen, was that Howard Rose, Charlie and I went to work and locked in the May run of the tour, because that is exactly what HK would have wanted us to do. Three-quarters of the way through your piece, I broke down and had a good cry, which I needed to do. Thanks for that. I finished it, and was laughing by the end. Thanks for you no bullshit expose on the man who figured out to just let me be myself. It worked, and I am still here and will thank him and toast him, for a good while. I was incredibly lucky that he came into my life, and I will try and pass on a little of that wisdom to those who might be interested. Keep writing. Fins Up

Jimmy Buffett

_____________________________________

Howard and I started Caribou Management for Jim Guercio in 1967. He was an accountant and I was only a few years out of the William Morris mailroom in Beverly Hills. Howard was the business manager and I was the personal manager. Jimmy had a vision of how a management company should work. He called it a "creative community" and it was our job to create, or rather invent the business model and make it work. There were no rules or no road map. We figured it out on the fly and Howard figured it out quickly. In ten years, Caribou was a multi million dollar business but when he left, I left. When I did, I took what Howard taught me and now 40 years later I still feel his presence when a deal is on the table in front of me.

Rest Well Partner. You've earned it.

Larry Fitzgerald
FITZGERALD HARTLEY
Nashville

_____________________________________

Howard was a wonderful man, kind, generous, caring. I've been with HK Management for 38 years. The clients adored him, and most of the people at the company have been here for decades. He was so brilliant, you couldn't help but learn from him. We are devastated and will miss him so much. A very sad day for all of us.

Laurie Gorman

_____________________________________

Hi Bob. I wanted to share an HK story with you. It was 1988, and I was working with Jimmy Iovine as an A&R guy, at our offices on the A&M lot, before Interscope was built in Westwood. I was living with Stevie Nicks as her roommate, and had just resigned as Stevie's personal assistant. I was approached by Sheryl Louis and Gerri Leonard and told that Howard Kaufman wants to meet with me to be his partner, and co-manage Stevie. Howard and I had a conversation and I said to Howard, that Stevie had a manager! Howard said.... Glen! I know she has a manager but her ticket prices are to low, and so are her guarantees! ("Typical Howard looking out for the artist"!) I told Howard, that I was working with Jimmy Iovine already and didn't know if Stevie would want to make a move. Howard said whatever Jimmy is paying you....I'll pay you double! I was at a crossroads in my life and torn of which decision to make. Either be Howard's partner and manage Stevie Nicks or leave Stevie and stay a part of Interscope with Jimmy. I really liked the idea of co-managing Stevie, plus Stevie and I had been roommates for 10 years and were best friends! I wanted to make sure she was in good hands, so I said to Howard, that I was in.... if Stevie would agree to fire her current manager and hire Howard and myself. Howard said Glen! set up a meeting and I'll talk to Stevie. I then told Stevie the plan and she agreed to hear us out! Howard and Stevie talked and after their conversation Stevie asked me to call her current manager and fire him!

I did, and the rest is history! Howard and I came on board as Stevie's managers. Howard gave me my start as a manager in the music business, and I will always be grateful! HK will be missed by many! Rest in peace Howard..... XX

Best,
Glen Parrish

_____________________________________

Thank you for acknowledging how great of a manager and a person he was I'm saddened to hear about his passing he was a friend and a supporter I really loved him
There was only one HK and there will not be another
We lost a great man

Louis Messina

_____________________________________

I never had a conversation with Howard in which I didn't learn something…….or have a chuckle.
Clearly he was one of a kind.

Jim Morey

_____________________________________

Howard did love his job and that was the first thing i noticed when i first was introduced to him. Was lucky to have had several conversations and absorb a little bit of his wisdom. He was a mentor to a lot of colleagues who are half his age.

Ryan Kravontka

_____________________________________

They don't make them like HK anymore, Bob. I hope he and his longtime assistant Lynda Lou Bouch are up in heaven rolling calls as we speak. Sadly we lost them both in the past year.

Peter Rinker

_____________________________________

I loved working with Howard and learned so much about the business from him- do's and dont's- when and when not to pull the trigger. He always believed in his artists more than anything and we were there to support him and bring their vision to life.

I learned from the best, the guy we called Howard.

He will be missed...Rest My Friend.

Matt Gaines

_____________________________________

If you had Howard Kaufman on your side, you really didn't need anyone else.

He was a gentleman and an icon.

He will be missed.

John Ferriter

_____________________________________

From: Danny Zelisko

"If my act goes into percentage, I didn't charge you enough."

It's just business.

Howard Kaufman

_____________________________________

Thanks Bob kind words for Howard he was the winner he worked hard and made a lot of artist very successful.

Don Fox

_____________________________________

"If a show goes into percentage, I made a bad deal on the guarantee." That's my favorite HK-ism. The combination of Howard and Howard .... Kaufman as manager and Howard Rose as agent..... were like Gehrig and Ruth. Feared and respected like none other.

Tom Rooney

_____________________________________

Thank you for this. I had not heard. I once sat next to him on a plane. At the time I was exhausted, nervous, stressed and had been interviewing job candidates on a market visit. Worried about money. He said "The money is the easy part" then that man kindly went over and basically redid a whole radio programming budget between the time the movie ended and before we landed, showing me how we could make it work.

I kept his card, and followed up with a note. I never forgot him.

Valerie Geller


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/?utm_source=phplist5714&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Re-Howard+Kaufman
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz?utm_source=phplist5714&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Re-Howard+Kaufman
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1&utm_source=phplist5714&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Re-Howard+Kaufman

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5714&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Re-Howard+Kaufman

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5714&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Re-Howard+Kaufman

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.