Friday 17 March 2017

More Skin

Okay, this may have to be a regular column. This is the best support group in the world, literally. We've all led similar lifestyles and are somewhat enlightened and open to new possibilities. I don't know who Ernie Canadeo is but he got my attention. I've been on statins since I moved to LA in 85. Oddly, the coconut oil he mentions is high in cholesterol, so I'm confused but that is the dilemma we face when modern science meets nature. But I'm going to try it. As my doctor now says, you're so old now these experiments won't make a big difference if they don't work, so have at it.
Ernie had me before his 'my sex life is better than ever' line. That's shooting the moon. I'll settle for keeping my brain intact as long as possible.
Frank A. provided a nice spiritual perspective.

Vegan, no sugar etc. regardless, we all have our individual Achilles Heels, whatever their nature. I'd recommend going to Lourds, millions of Catholics can't be wrong....or can they?

John Brodey

________________________________________

.....wow!.....that's a shitload of responses!!!!!......

Tommy Allen

________________________________________

There's a reason God doesn't ask young people to be old. They couldn't handle it.

Barry Lyons

________________________________________

Skin!
Stop eating sugar. At least try it for a day and then eat it again and see what happens to your skin. Fucking poison that stuff. And tasty.

Rob Giles

________________________________________

You must try coconut oil. I had issues and coconut oil changed my life.

David Dutton

________________________________________

These letters are laughable. Delete my Benadryl suggestion. Enter the world of Cure for Wellness.

Andy Paciocco

________________________________________

Hey Bob, thanks for posting my response. Moogoo is a great little company making interesting and effective products. I would also definitely heed one of your readers re: diet. My girlfriend has battled eczema for years and a clean diet always resets the skin. It's intense at the start but definitely worth trying.

All the best!

Jason Blynn

________________________________________

go see a chinese herbalist. got my daughters eczema sorted

Michael Richardson

________________________________________

Wow! Is that the most responses you've ever received? I read them all to some degree.

Here's my 2 cents and some of the responses mentioned some of these. Cheers to your health!

Vegan, lasik, coconut oil, crystal deodorant (and little or no meat (dead flesh), no stink), sweat through your skin- my favorite method is yoga (I'm buying if you meet me at Santa Monica Power Yoga after April 5, don't worry it's all levels, all ages), swim in the ocean, weekly one day fast (skip two meals)

Christopher Hawley

________________________________________

Interesting conglomeration of. Opinions. One from an NYU md who was self serving.

As an MD, in my humble opinion, your initial reports of symptoms reflects at least a significant component of the ailment associated with stress factors. Triamcinolone hydrochloride at 0.1% is a mainstay treatable technique which solved local demands for statistics without ever arriving at the root cause.

Hopefully, you will elucidate the root etiology for you ailments.

Ron Linder, MD

________________________________________

You bunch of Old Fucks! Yeh, me too. Dry skin. get over it. Really? An endless blog of replies about this? Yes I'm old and scaly as you all are. But I don't rail about it

Glenn Middleworth

________________________________________

Surprising to see that there are so many people dealing with these skin issues right now! As we speak, I have red blotchy spots on my arms and legs. Thank god they don't itch! What worked for me two years ago is not working this time... so it's nice to see so many people sharing solutions that have worked for them. I personally think that our current skin eruptions are tied to the recent chaos in the world (US). As artists, we have sensitive souls that pick up on the energy of mass consciousness... and our bodies react to the stress. Skin issues are the typical result.

Wishing you clear skin,

Casey Lauren

________________________________________

Have you considered the nasty yeast infection called 'candida'?
Skin itching /rash is a symptom.

Clay Griffith

________________________________________

Don't believe for a second that your skin is its own thing, this is the way of thinking that proves western medicine wrong as fuck. It's an extremely successful business, preying on Americans who are told the same shit since birth so it's engrained deep in the brain, in an almost unchangeable way. Depending on life experiences, some make it out, such as myself, and never have I felt so good, and never has my skin looked so good. It's the largest mode of detox your body has, therefore what you see on your skin is representative of what's going on inside, especially in the gut.

"It am where it ain't".

Find a reputable naturopath and start addressing the actual root causes of your problems, unlike the rest of drugged up America watching their quality of life diminish decades before it had to. You've seen enough of the system failing to serve you, and you're too smart to be another victim of that shit.

Dane Farnsworth

________________________________________

I can't believe how many people had their own "bubbameister" for a
cure... Here's mine.... and its easy...
Change the detergent you wash your clothes and sheets with. Tide does suck.
Go to Whole Foods and buy one of those "eco" friendly brands...
It could work.. what the fuck?

Kindest Cheers,

Jeff Laufer

________________________________________

I have developed a late life auto immune disease on skin of my face. Tried every remedy , steroids, anti biotics, dermatologist cream. Was about to try some hellish biological with frightening side effects when I read a Chinese dermatologists article in a Tampa newspaper about the miraculous results of coconut oil. She had all of her patients use simple coconut oil from health food store on their Rosacea , eczema, cielitis three times a day on their face and use nothing else . Desperate, after several years of frightening outbreaks , I tried it. I religiously used the coconut four times a day, nothing else. It took about six weeks of assiduous application but it worked. I have used it now for two years with amazing results. The oil is 100% pure and I use nothing else. No expensive creams and very little make up, and only rosacea make up called IT. My skin is the best it has ever been.I highly recommend it. No dry weird patches, no acne like breakouts. You can get liquid coconut oil at whole body. And the hardened version at almost any Trader Joe's/drug store. Give it a month of cold water washes and very little soap. It is a miracle.and very cheap.

Susan Nadler

________________________________________

This may sound lame but I experienced what sounds like a similar malady Year s ago.
Taking showers with only the hot water on practically scalding me to get relief
My grandmother suggested I get two gallons of apple cider vinegar and put it in the tub. Fill the tub with hot water get in and soak.
Did it two evenings in a row. It's never been back. And yes you smell like a pickle for a few hours. No free lunch.

James Lee Stanley

________________________________________

yo!

i just finished reading ALL of the remedies.

i whittled it down for you.

ready?

get naked.
stay naked.
eat avocados.
eat coconut oil.
wear coconut oil.
eat plants.
drink water only.
don't eat things that have faces.
except fish.
bathe in the ocean.
don't stress.

that's all.

halloran

________________________________________

Hey Bob. I have suffered for years with skin issues. When you have a seasonal issue.... Kenalog injection. Dermatologists will object. Side affects. But not relevant for our age. It's the wonder drug. It will knock it down for months. A great prescription moisturizer is Hylatopic. Get a humidifier for your bedroom. And if the hot air heating is an issue a radiating room heater . I am happy to discuss with you Bob.

Geoff Bywater

________________________________________

Tell peter Shapiro what's dry is the overpriced ticket to se"Phil and friends" ($104) and it being a drowned out with a little bit of Phil and an incredibly shitty cover band(s)... everyone I went with was disappointed...I hope peters skin thing turns out ok, he seems like a nice man....

Peter Farnan

________________________________________

So sorry that you are having so many skin problems.
Can I recommend the site http://www.mercola.com?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
If you are not familiar with Joseph Mercola, he is a pioneer of self-healing without an undiluted reliance on the medical profession. Not only are his articles worth their weight in gold but his followers (via comments) are a constant and fruitful source of alternative therapies.
Hugs,
Michael Tregaron

________________________________________

I have atopic eczema and these are some of the things that work for me:
- cotton clothing (I used to wear wool when I was younger and it made
me itch so I couldn't concentrate)
- staying cool / try to avoid sweating
- tepid baths ... if you're skin's really bad wash only the parts that
really need it
- when my skin's really dry and itchy I use
https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/emulsifying-ointment/prd-t?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin in the bath
... it gives just a little bit of protection and there's hardly
anything in it to react with
- I do have a steroid/anti-bacterial cream I use if necessary
http://mcs.open.ac.uk/nlg/old_projects/pills/corpus/base/data/Glaxo/BetnovateN_Cream/BetnovateN_Cream.html?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
which contains a steroid and anti-bacterial
- I find being on holiday tends to improve my skin ... combination of
being outdoors in the sun / also going in the sea seems to help

Andrew Whitehouse

________________________________________

Oy vey.

Bob Kranes

________________________________________

Perhaps your real allergy is Spotify...I know, I love it too, but the long term side effects have proven to destroy entire systems. I work in the movie biz and a "Spotify" for new movies scares me to death.

All joking aside...Coconut Oil does do the trick.

Good luck and keep up the great work.

Chadd Barksdale

________________________________________

drink more water and gatorade and get 40% urea cream.

Innis Nelson

________________________________________

More responses than most of your letters - which goes to the point of people just wanting to help and connect. Some of these people get it - especially the ones who live in CALI - you should connect with them in person and take their advice on natural remedies, diet and turning inward for answers. Maybe try that acupuncturist in SM. Dryness is one thing but the itching is something else. The OCD seems to be exacerbated by the dryness and that evidences an underlying nervous system/emotion/internal challenge. Keep us posted on how you treat it!!

Patti Jones

________________________________________

Hi Bob,
There's also this look at aging...
Thanks for sharing your odyssey!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/24/dont-dread-old-age-fear-tories-tyranny-austerity?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

"All of you, when young, will make your own history: you will struggle, you will betray some and others will betray you. You will love and lose love. You will feel profound joy and deep sorrow and during all of this you will grow as an individual. That's why it is your duty when you get old to tell the young about your odyssey across the vast ocean of your life."

Kara

________________________________________

Wow. I never experienced that kind of response to a medical question--even when I was a Professor of Medicine at University of Florida. I could feel the love ...

At UF, I had the good fortune of working in the Gatorade lab, where we would run around the campus wearing plastic gloves to collect sweat and the analysis of the various electrolytes became the basis for the drink. The inventor, Dr. Robert Cade, was a physiologist first and foremost and he mentored me during my most impressionable days on the necessity to THINK in terms of fundamentals and not get hung up on the quick fixes that some might say "works for them". BTW, Cade and I also launched JAZZIZ.

My point here is that there are several pathophysiologic reasons for itching--from congenital to autoimmune/allergic, inflammatory, neoplastic and neurologic. In your situation it's likely (and hopefully) a combination of so called "dry skin", inflammatory and allergic. Cold dry air causing desiccation of skin followed by inflammation then inciting an allergic reaction. If it's that simple, then moisturizers (to mitigate dryness), Benadryl (to mitigate the release of histamine) and wearing light PJs to bed (long sleeve and long pants so that skin doesn't touch skin) might do the trick. If that doesn't work, see a good internal medicine doc or dermatologist to rule out the other reasons.

Hope you feel better soon!

Michael Fagien

________________________________________

Hi Bob, wow! Everyone's a doctor!

I have similar dry skin issues. Your line that dermatology is as much an art as as science is on point.

My itchy skin comes and goes, but I know that anxiety increases my symptoms.

For me, it had nothing to do with age. It first appeared my sophomore year of college. A dermatologist assumed it was from the dry apartments, but I was also doing a student teaching assignment in a stressful situation...

I used to bath in hydrocortisone cream.

I use a special detergent for our kid's clothes, and I use it for mine now: Allen's Natural. It's expensive, but it appeared to be helping. I haven't had any symptoms, until:

Michigan had the early spring weather, and returned to weather last week, my skin itchy returned with a vengeance.

Hang in there. You'll find relief!

Mike Vial

PS: I also get those mysterious stress bumps on my palms and heels of my feet. Stress from the health care discussion may have been trigger my anxiety, so I cut out coffee this year, and I haven't had those symptoms return.

________________________________________

And I second, third and fourth (etc.) the virgin organic coconut oil! Temporarily, anyway.

Skidget 17

________________________________________

Well, there you go.
There may be no more mass "shared experiences" in music, movies & TV the way it was, so it looks like we're down to what we all have left in common - our bodies.
It was so cool to see the outpouring of advice and remedies from everyone, even people who have never written you before who felt compelled to share their experiences... and nobody found a way to drag politics into the discussion!
It gives me hope that man does indeed care for his fellow man.
Hope one of those ideas works for you.
Let's go skiing again!
- Tom Fricke

________________________________________

Holy shit look at all this support! You've built something pretty nice for yourself!! Good luck with the skin troubles!

Calvin Flegal

________________________________________

Yes
Good one
I can relate
So far no skin condition but aches and pains in the morning

Scott Irwin

________________________________________

A horse designed by committee… that's a lot of advice.

I'm now sending you the larger size: http://www.onetribetrading.com/earthkeepers-organic-salve-4oz/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Tom Bluewolf makes it himself in the mountains of N Georgia. CBD is great, and all those other anecdotes, but I promise… this will sort you out.

Patrick Ross?VP, Digital Marketing
AWAL / Kobalt

________________________________________

Who cares, Bob? Geez, write about something that's not about yourself.
Leroy Henry

Executive Producer, Global Starbucks | PlayNetwork

________________________________________

Bob, I hope that you are trying EACH AND EVERY method listed below! (heh)

Douglas C. Weinstein

________________________________________

That's a novel Bob! Print it and you'll make millions!

Take care!

Lisa Montez

________________________________________

i live in Wisconsin, and the winters suck for this. we have this giant barrel downstairs where we have to put five or six 50 lb. bags of water softening salt every year....actually my wife does because I have a bad back. and I use Eucerin Eczema lotion every day which helps immensely, but I also have a prescription to use in cases that it won't.

Mike Farley

________________________________________

My advice is probably same as most on here. Dad had horrible psoriasis and at 45 or so (just turned 47) I started getting patches and rashes and itchiness.
Comes from inflammatory diet
No more:
Processed sugar
Processed food
White flour and heavy starch
Fried food
Eat
Strawberries
Blueberries
Avocado
Grass fed meat
Bulletproof coffee (bird safe coffee like allegro early bird with coconut oil and grass fed butter)
Lots and lots of green veggies
Lots of fish.
Take a green supplement like kyogreen or wheatgrass daily.
Our problems all stem from diet and the toxins contained within.

Dan Millen

________________________________________

Just getting all of these concerned, helpful responses in your inbox should make your skin feel better....at least I hope so!
Scott Hazlewood

________________________________________

Get this occasionally too. Of course it can be diet related or an allergy.

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) works for me. I take it before bedtime with that hot shower and apply my favorite skin cream afterwards.
I purchased a couple AcuRite 00613 Indoor humidity monitors, they're $8 on Amazon. Run a humidifier if needed.
Go to bed, relax and get some rest.

I have been prescribed Clobetasol Propionate (corticosteroid) and it work wonders for eczema/psoriasis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clobetasol_propionate?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Hang in there,

G.Robey
Chesapeake Beach, MD

________________________________________

While I disagree with a great deal of your thoughts, especially politics, I'd like to help. And, though it's nice to see so many reaching out to you, lotions etc. only treat symptoms. The best advice is to find a GOOD holistic practitioner and have them find your cause, which sounds like some combination diet/exposure. You seem to be having an allergic reaction which possibly is a new situation for your system, and hopefully temporary, with treatment. Find a medical doctor that practices holistically, or someone that's grounded and practices holistically.
Good luck,

Merky1208

________________________________________

Whoa! You wouldn't have time to try all these ideas before you die. Since that happens in most areas of health,it's really quite overwhelming. Maybe use your intuition to pick a few??? Who knows? probably no one.

queenie taylor

________________________________________

You know how great your original column about your skin was?

The responses are awesome!
And there are even consensus on many possible treatments.

Far out as we used to say!

( i am one of the "check for allergies, change your laundry detergent" people, but I generally don't suffer from skin issues, but do have allergies!)

So many choices to see what works best for you!

Regards

Amy Krakow

________________________________________

Hey Bob.. try going vegan for 30 days. Hey - it's worth a shot for as bad as that sounds, right?

Read this: Meat Is For Pussies, by John Joseph

All the creams and stuff is treating the symptoms not the cause, IMO.

Jerry Cunningham

________________________________________

1. I just hope this is not representative of response ratios. Otherwise it means you write your ass off all these years and the most response you ever got was on a mail about skin issues?
2. When I was scrolling through I fully expected some crazy tongue in-cheek jokemail from John Mayer for some reason

best
sebastian keil

________________________________________

JESUS!

You need to start running AARP Adds so you can make some $$$. I am only 56 but feel old and sad and dry every day. Ahh well, "getting old is not for sissies". Speak the truth with love.

mab
Michael A. Becker

________________________________________

Here are all the treatments suggested in the responses:
(I'd check with the University clinic in Munster/Germany in a heartbeat)

Best Chris

Hot water
Epiceram
Organic Coconut oil
Epsom salt
Almond Oil
Tee Tree oil
Thiel Creme de corps
Kiehl's Intensive Treatment for dried skin
Moogo products
Biologics (Humire)
Aveeno Luiquid Soap
Ejuva liquid cleanse
Amlactin
Oatmeal bath
Minocycline
MenScience Deodorant
Benadryl
Ice
Avocados (eat)
1% Hydrocortisone
Arrid Cream antiperspirant
**Primal Derma
Rodan & Fields Soothe Regimen
Tar
Jason Products Skin Care
Vitamin D
Bag Balm
AmLactin
AD&E Lotion
Gold Bond Creams
Organic essential oils
Cannabis
Triamcinolone acetonide cream
Anthistamines
Acupuncture
Corn starch bath
Clinique clarifying #2
Johnson & Johnson dual action moisterizer
Neutrogene healthy defense moisterizer
Neuragena Daily control
Tangy Tangerine
Niacin
Pantrax
Panthothenic Acid
Psoriatrax Shampoo
Dead Sea swimming
Dr. Jard Ceramidine line
Amlactin
VSL#3 probiotic
Epiceram
Go Vegan
UV Therapy
Cannabis Balm
Origins Skin Products
Shea Butter
Nizoral Sgampoo
Head and Shoulders shampoo
Fish Oil
Olive Oil
Dupilumab
Dupixent
Eucerin calming lotion
Ayurveda
Pure peppermint oil
Comfrey Salve
Manuka Honey
Astaxanthin
Ocean Salt Water
Soothe Regimen
Cera-ve moisterizer
Olay body scrub
Gabriel Couzian Washing Oil
Walnut Oil
Cetaphil Bar Soap and Moisterizer
Aloe Vera
Burt Bee thick cream
Clobetasol (Clobex)
CBD Oil balm
Sombra Menthol Cream

________________________________________

Another idea, buy an aloe Vera plant, break small pieces of and put the "juice" straight on the skin. It's a bit slimey, but it has also proven useful.

Janie Van Halen

________________________________________

Udder Butter !
You'r over thinking this.
RDunn

________________________________________

Olive oil.
For everything.
Jessica Halprin

________________________________________

You might want to get your RA factor checked.

You describe my cousin's condition.

Ken Shain

________________________________________

If it is itching once awhile and is red and feel so much better under hot water it could very well be eczema.

I've had that off and on. I sympathize with you. It's due to "allergies and stress". My Dr. told me that a long time ago.

It could be foods or could be environmentally. I have this really expensive cream that was Rx'd to me a long time ago. But I eat gluten free, no sugar, coconut oil is the best and the aloe Vera.

Just had to add that because that itching is crazy! Also cleansing. I do detox cleanses about twice a year because of even pollution in the air builds up in our bodies. It just cleans everything out.

Ruthie Owen-Moreno
Denver and Phoenix

________________________________________

yikes that's awful...

Kate O'Laughlin

________________________________________

Sorry about your skin issues, but as a result of these responses I seriously want to hang with Frank Gagliano!

Ken Alterwitz

________________________________________

I see you've gotten a ton of advice already, but I'll throw mine in. I have mild psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, plus mild eczema, all now under good control.

Doctor: Look up an integrative medicine doctor as your primary. They are both MD's and Naturopaths, so open to any kind of treatment. They take a systemic approach and can guide your health explorations with other specialists.

Deodorant: I use the crystal mineral stuff. Not an anti-perspirant, just a deodorant, but no irritation at all.

Skin: I itch in many places if I don't manage this. So in the shower, I only use soap in pits and groin (liquid with salicylic acid to manage yeast). I use a loofa pad on arms and legs to gently remove dry skin. That's it. Then when I get out, Cerave cream (over the counter) with prescription Clobetasol steroid liquid mixed in. It's good, non-greasy moisturizing with mild anti-itch. My derm says there is no danger of long-term use (skin thinning) so they let kids slather it on as much as they want.

I am on a med for my psoriatic arthritis, but they are all immunosuppressants to some extent, so have to be careful about getting sick, etc.

I'll let you manage the food aspect. But for me: I drink only water, period. Eat at home 99% of the time, so not processed stuff, but not crazy about cutting out any particular type.

---

You have no idea how much you have influenced my writing. I don't mind music, but I rarely listen to it...I don't own any at all and never have (I'm 53). I have something called Auditory Processing Disorder...I hear fine, but can't concentrate at all with background noise, which to me music is.

But I read you for your insights into authenticity and standing for something. I think music is the canary in the coal mine for where culture is going, and I can appreciate that in an intellectual way without needing to listen to it.

I have dozens of your articles saved that have helped define my writing.

If you are interested, I have cataloged all of my accumulated health conditions for public viewing as part of being honest and transparent to my readers. You can see them here:

https://overexamined.life/health-wellness-status/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Good luck,

Scott Weigle
OverExamined Life

________________________________________

I see you've received a ton of advice, as have I in the past. I probably tried most of those creams and diets, too, to no avail. I've spent zillions on dermatologists who had good intentions but ultimately did nothing to help me but gave me stronger and stronger steroids, including oral steroids. Very dangerous drugs and a path it is best not to go down if avoidable.

First get tested with a skin biopsy to rule out psoriasis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder and responds to heavy meds - Methotrexate, Humira and similar. They have some new protocols for that now.

If it's not psoriasis, and you're suffering from 'atopic dermatitis' or eczema, look up Dr. Richard Aron in South Africa. He also has an office in London. https://www.facebook.com/groups/draron/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
http://www.draron.com/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Dr. Aron's protocol treats the underlying staph bacteria that colonize where the skin is broken/irritated. Eczema won't calm down if the bacteria remains present. Traditional Western medicine treats only the inflammation with steroids and your body becomes resistant to them. The trick is you need to add topical antibiotics to the mix. It also allows a much, much lower dose of steroid. He will prescribe a moisturizing base - mine is a big tub of Vanicream, to which a mild topical steroid and a mild topical antibiotic are added. About 90%, 5%, 5% but it differs for every patient and is not supposed to be shared with others. You apply the mixture frequently to start as per his directions and eventually taper. I'm almost a year in and from 5 apps a day, I am down to an occasional application after I shower.

Dr. Aron diagnoses and prescribes via the internet (an extensive Q&A, your history, plus he reviews photos of your skin). You get the script filled locally. I was bed-ridden last year. My eczema is not 100% gone but it is 98% better and under control. No longer the focus of my life. Thousands of others just like me - you'll see on his site.

Yes, diet matters, your own triggers matter (heat, sweat, dust, chemicals, humidity, certain foods, booze, pets, environment, etc. - different for everyone but you learn what sets you off). Clean eating and living help. Sun and salt water help. Health in general helps. But trust me - Dr. Aron's regime changed my life after a lifetime of suffering from dry, itchy, red, inflamed skin.

I never thought I'd be writing a letter like this...

Love your emails! Best wishes to you.

Lori Turoff

________________________________________

Many of the letters regarding your skin condition were spot on. The gut is the donut hole of the body. Two things I suggest: Order Dr Reckeweg's R30 homeopathic cream, and use it liberally. I used to get horrible rashes and that was the only thing that would calm it down, other than fasting (a clue to the gut relationship). Secondly, I would highly suggest you locate a Functional Doctor in your area, who will order the right type of tests to get to the root cause of what is causing this skin condition. There are fantastic tests out there - one is called the Organic Acid Test (OAT test), via Great Plains Laboratories. There is the GI Effects test as well as the NuttrEval test via Genova Diagnostics. The former will give you a solid breakdown of gut bacteria, oxidative stress, neurotransmitters, nutritional markers, and immune function: https://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/organic-acids-test/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
GI Effects is somewhat similar, though usually ordered together with the NutrEval, for the nutritional markers: https://www.gdx.net/product/gi-effects-comprehensive-stool-test?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
https://www.gdx.net/product/nutreval-fmv-nutritional-test-blood-urine?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
You can find some great YouTube tutorials on theses tests.
You may think to yourself that these tests have nothing to do with what you have, but I guarantee you that you will find some kind of bacterial or yeast overgrown going on in your gut, which would be a significant factor.
Alletess is a great way to test for food allergies, or whatever your practitioner thinks is most appropriate.
Chris Kresser is an awesome Functional doc who is in Cali. Might be a start: https://chriskresser.com/ccfmed/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
You can also find other practitioners at this site: https://www.functionalmedicine.org/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Good luck!
Susan Desmarais

________________________________________

I agree with David Rubinson. Virgin organic coconut oil. The best.

Ray Staar

________________________________________

Hey Bob,

I agree with people responding saying it may be dietary. I have more or less gotten rid of rosacea and flakey skin myself after exhausting all my options regarding medicine and doctors/dermatologists.

The best approach for me was to troubleshoot and try to figure out what is causing it and what is a trigger. For example - taking showers didn´t cause it. Chilies probably didn´t either but they are a trigger.

Quick advice - for flakey skin stay off all bread, wheat, yeast and gluten stuff for two weeks and see if it improves (it will), and its easy enough, just keep away from bread & pasta mainly. Also dairy is absolutely terrible for my skin. It makes it red and sometimes I get a reaction. If you can avoid this as well for a short period of time, do it. Just be conscious that you shouldn't stay off gluten or dairy fully unless you really need to. You will create an intolerance because for example, the enzyme lactase won't be produced any longer in your gut. Lactase is what is responsible for breaking down lactose from dairy.

Lengthy advice below:

Here´s what i found after troubleshooting my skin conditions for 3 years.

Flakey skin
- I've had this all my life: once i stopped eating bread (yeast / gluten) and pasta etc. my skin stopped flaking on my face and scalp....FULLY. 100% gone.

Red patches / Roacea
- This seems to be caused alcohol, my skin being dehydrated etc.
- Image Vital-C hydrating serum really helps
- Its diet related, when i switched to a full Paleo diet the symptoms went away

Spots / bad skin
- For me I get bad skin when I eat sugary stuff or unhealthy foods, fried etc.

Foods that really help:
- oily fishes
- fish in general
- avocados
- good probiotics (e.g. - Alflorex but its best to research online or Amazon reviews)

I used to work in IT so I've been a troubleshooter all my working life (I'm 37). I pay more attention to detail than any doctor I've ever met. Granted the human body is a very difficult machine to troubleshoot but I've come across mechanics who care more about finding a solution to a problem than the majority of doctors (and thats saying something!!).

I've resolved my tinnitus alone, stomach issues, really bad skin problems so I feel I know what I am talking about when it comes to health issues that would literally drive you crazy!

For me it feels like a balance issue in my stomach/digestive system. It may well be the same for you. The best advice I can give you is start troubleshooting and develop more and more patience if you see start getting little wins. You've already started troubleshooting anyway because you know what makes it worse. So start eating good foods and avoiding shit foods and see if you can reverse it, if you can - keep it up.

Best of luck and get in contact if you need any further advice from me.

John Duignan

________________________________________

Go see a different doctor. Don't give up, there is someone out there that can help you. If you're ever up in Vancouver, I'll bring my back scratcher for you.

Try changing you laundry detergent, fabric softener or even different bed sheets.

It's raining in Vancouver much like it always does this time of year...

Take care, okay?
Kimmie.... (Seale)

________________________________________

"Coconut oil cleans your arteries."

Good lord. I'd love to see the science on that one. Coconut oil is not a cure-all. It's good stuff, no doubt. Probably decent for your skin & hair. And a great source of fat for the body.

The diet suggestions though... I could stand behind that one. Cutting out sugar & carbohydrates especially.

I've read the science on cutting sugar & carbs and they sold me. Diabetes reversal, complete elimination of most heart medications, weight loss, athletic performance.

It's the keto diet. And I've done it for a long time. It's damned hard. Refined carbs & sugar are in EVERYTHING. Even ketchup. Keep your carbs at 20g a day, your protein at around 1g per pound of weight and your dietary fat without limit.

It's not for everyone. And there are quacks out there touting is as a 'miracle'. IT's not. But there is science that says it's beneficial.

Here are some names to google:

Peter Attia
Peter isn't on keto anymore. But he has interesting things to say.
(And i don't love Tim Ferris's show, but he talked with Attia several times)
http://tim.blog/2014/12/18/peter-attia/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Dominic D'Agostino
He's a scientist and keto advocate.

http://tim.blog/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

Good luck Bob.

And Be Skeptical. Not cynical.

Bill Seipel

________________________________________

Hey Bob,
One outside of the box thought might be to treat it like poison oak/ivy.
I've suffered greatly from it, and the most effective treatment is prednisone, a steroidal treatment.
(Which will require a prescription, so you'll need an open minded doctor.)
Also try the over the counter Calamine lotion?
If everything else seems ineffective, it's certainly worth a try.
Jeff Watson

________________________________________


Hi Bob,

I'm a dermatology professor at ___ with a private practice in Century City. I don't need or want a recommendation but I'd like to help you with your skin because I feel I owe you for your entertaining and provocative emails.

I won't talk to you about celebs!

____ _________, MD
___-___-____


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz?utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1&utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5777&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=More+Skin

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.