Tuesday 27 February 2018

Mailbag

Subject: Re: Jason Flom-This Week's Podcast

(To Whom It May Concern)

And Thank God... You Give A Shit As Much As You Do...
Bob...
Steven Tyler Here
And a Big Fan of YOU... Whose Not afraid To Lend The Family Parrot... To The Town Crier
Thank You for your Hats Off and Respectful Cudo's to (Jason Flom)... The Man is Truly All That… Plus... take a look at his Instagram...He is so on Point...People Like He and You Who Speak Up About There Own Beliefs Are Todays Hero's
This Is A Dolby Generation...
I Only Hope The Audience Is Listening.......ST

_____________________________________

From: Paul Adams
Subject: Re: Angela

Hey Bob,

I know how you love it when folks with a dog in the fight point stuff out to you but I wondered if you saw the connection between two recent tracks you felt worthy of special mention. Both The Lumineers "Angela" and Jade Bird's "Lottery" were produced by Simone Felice up in the Catskills NY. "Angela" also being a co-write with the artist and Simone.

Yes, Simone is a producer client of mine but we're both thrilled to read your kind words about tracks he's worked on so thought it fun to make the connection for you.

Hope you're well Sir and keep talking up the music!

Pau..

_____________________________________

From: Ben Nesvig
Subject: Re: ODESZA

Yes! I've always liked ODESZA, but came to love ODESZA after A Moment Apart.

ODESZA sounds even better live. Check out their song Line of Sight on Kimmel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiLwFPQ2ObA

Also, the videos from their current tour are excellent. They've made me regret not seeing them when they were in town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rcTBslwSWA

Ben

_____________________________________

From: Doug Scott (Zynga)
Subject: Re: [Bulk] ODESZA

We licensed "Across The Room" for synch with our TV ad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCTp9EW4tyE) for the launch of Words With Friends 2 back in November. The song was perfect because it can appeal across generations and genders, just like the game does. As you said, there is something about Odesza that is immediately familiar but also feels new.

Best,

Doug

_____________________________________

Subject: Re: The Joke

Hi Bob,

"The Joke" is incredible. The strings you mentioned were composed and conducted by our client Paul Buckmaster and it was one of his final arrangements before he passed away last year. Brandi was one of the artists he was most proud of working with and I know he would agreed with you here.

Anne Zogby
McDaniel Entertainment

_____________________________________

From: Candace Carter
Subject: Re: ODESZA

Their manager Adam Foley used to work in the Charlottesville Red Light office. He originally managed Pretty Lights. Then he moved to LA's Red Light office and that's where I became acquainted with him. This was when EDM was at it's peak, and when Odesza released their popular album, In Return. You might have heard Say My Name ft. Zyra but didn't realize it was them. They've always had their own sound even within the electronic world. Anyways a short time passed and Adam left LA. I wasn't sure where he went but a little later I tried to leave too - trying to tip toe out of the industry. But as I was driving through America trying to find answers using Kerouac's road map, I was in Wyoming mid day and saw Adam post a picture of the mountains in Jackson. It felt too synchronous to not reach out to him, so I did, and he offered a place to stay for the night. I changed my route and drove the night through the snow to Jackson. When I arrived, I didn't know what to expect and if conversation would be awkward, but I was welcomed into a nice quaint home with a beer and light conversation in front of the television. I was given the guest room for the night and treated with respect and kindness. In the morning, I noticed the small office nook where all the work was done for Odesza, and the home set adjacent to the side of the mountains where Adam often skied. After a walk through the town and a local breakfast, I took to the road again towards Montana, and Adam set me up with a place stay in Hope, Idaho - a beautiful place I never heard of. We lost contact since then, but what I always admired about Adam was that he recognized LA wasn't for him at the time, wasn't afraid to leave, and still manages artists successfully in the mountains he loves, or where ever he is now.

- Candace

_____________________________________

Subject: Re: My Dad

This is marvelous Bob! So evocative! I feel like I can truly picture your dad's shit-eating grin and the ease and joy with which he was gliding around.

It reminded me of my paternal grandfather, (a first generation Italian and master baker) and how he'd take my sister and I skating at his local rink in Brockton, MA.

I never quite mastered ice skating, though I did spend plenty of time pushing myself along with one leg and the other forward for what seemed like hours on a frozen cranberry bog five minutes from our house in Scituate.

We'd skate around a bit as best we could, but the best part was simply watching my grandpa, with his dapper hat and scarf, hands behind his back and a bemused grin, smoothly and effortlessly skating around to Sinatra and Dean Martin pumped through the echo-y old rink's speakers. The look of bliss and pride on his face as he'd do little twirls and skate backwards knowing how much it impressed us will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Thanks for sharing this intimate portrait Bob.

Martin Ferrini - Petaluma, CA

_____________________________________

From: derek sumisu
Subject: Re: My Dad

beautiful bob! such a wonderful story.

for me, that dad moment came around xmas one year, around 1985. i would have been 16. all of my extended family was at our house and it was properly festive. all my cousins were obsessed with my drum set, which was facilitated by my dad co-signing my first loan. everyone young and old would take a whack at it and be crappy. my dad came over, sat down, put his drink on the floor tom and proceeded to bash out a wipe out-esque solo while the entire family, me included, went slack jawed in awe! i had never seen him play before. when i asked what was up, his reply was; 'i played trombone in the high school band.'

what?? that was too crazy. i'm still not sure how he translated trombone into drums in one flawless step.
a dad can do some incredible stuff that never ceases to amaze a kid at any age!

thanks for the lovely reminiscence! it gave me a chance to remember that story about my dad, who died from cancer a few years ago.

derek...

_____________________________________

Subject: RE: My Dad

I was 6 when dad died.

I remember he came home from work one night with a 2 pack of chiclets in his pocket for me.

End of story.

And so I cherish every minute of the time I share with my 2 kids who are now 24 and 21.

Mark

_____________________________________

Subject: Re: My Dad

One of my favorite anecdotes about my own Dad, which uncovered a side of him I never knew, took place around 14 years ago, the evening after I got my vasectomy. I was speaking to my father on the phone and mentioned that I was feeling a bit tender after getting this procedure. Whereupon he replied "oh yes, I had one of those".

I had no comeback, I couldn't believe what I had just heard from my then 76 year old father (he's now a spry 90 years old).

After a few seconds, sensing my disbelief, if not discomfort (in more ways that one), Dad added:

"don't worry son, it was after you were born".

Best regards,??
Lon J. Hall

_____________________________________

Subject: Re: My Dad

Bob, I love that story. There is a flip side. My dad broke his ankle trying on those metal clip on skates trying to teach my sister to skate. It cost his a few weeks off work and ended up being on of my best memories. I got to the hospital with him and help him limp around.

Frank Higginbotham

_____________________________________

From: Tracie Beer
Subject: My thoughts on #metoo

How do we stay focused on a topic today?
Metoo today, gunlaws tomorrow, School Security today...news seems some disposable these days.

#metoo

So many emotions have risen since this #metoo movement has started. I've been a product of sexual harassment for basically my entire life. Starting at the young age of roughly 8 years old... & for men out there that think woman sometimes ask for it by misleading garments I don't recall my Tom & Jerry pajamas being that provocative. Unless he also had a cat & mouse fetish?
I was lucky I was quick enough to not have gotten raped by this man. I freed myself out of his disgusting claws. I didn't know what the hell he was doing but I certainly knew it wasn't right! 40 years later I can remember it like it was yesterday.

People have become curious on why females don't speak up for years about some of their accusations. The answer is, it just seems easier. You have to live with the risk of destroying families & friendships. Getting questioned about embarrassing details. Then there's the judgment of others. Did it really happen? Is she attention seeking? "I can't imagine he'd do that, he seems like such a nice guy."
When you do decide to actually get real & discuss what happened to you it also gets very uncomfortable for everyone as well. Always a Debbie Downer moment so easier to just not discuss it sometimes.
Nobody ever knows how to respond & there's nothing that can be said that ever makes it easier.


Being sexually assaulted is something that lives with you your entire life. Like everything in life, memories come & go but always find there way back into your life.
The decision of remaining quiet for the sake of it being easier makes things essentially harder for future generations.
It's like giving the predator a hall pass. A stamp of approval to allow them to do this to someone else. When your innocence & trust gets robbed from you it certainly sets a tone for years to come if not your entire life. So speak up.


The sexual harassment carried on to my teenage years. Everything from a man in the movies fondling himself sitting next to me in my young 20's and my boss pinning me up against the wall is his office. Telling me I was so hot and fantasizes about me when he fucks his wife. You know his wife, the woman who sits next to me everyday for the 2 years prior to that happening.
I felt so gross not telling her what a creep she was married to but they had 2 young babies at home! So I should be the brunt of them growing up in a broken home or risk possibly getting fired? Sometimes woman are actually aware of there loved ones behavior but #themtoo look a blind eye because it seems easier...


As a woman now in her 40's it's carried on in my current life as well. Wether it be music industry people suggesting we meet at their hotel for a drink and making stupid comments like "it's just skin" to just shout outs on the street "mmmmm,mmmmm" "damn girl" caveman type calls from the wild. Under the age of my daughter being 18 years old I was told by men in the industry my daughter was hot/sexy and that they can see where she got it from. I was even once told they wanted to see me in person first before committing to my daughters career in hopes my daughter wasn't going to turn out to be an unattractive adult. It's all just male ego thinking they're better and most likely having small shriveled up ____, I'd assume!

Do these type of men not have mothers, sisters or daughters? How do they find that to be acceptable behavior? Is this how they want the woman in their lives treated? Were they literally raised by wolves?

I get woman are beautiful & desirable. I see it's all day long... but have some grace, class & self control.

For the most part Harvey Weinstein's case jump started this #metoo movement. Ironically he's one of the few that has actually admitted publicly he has a problem and is seeking help... others still on the deny,deny,deny bandwagon!

Not being a hardcore feminist I never want to offend anyone by saying this but I am sure there are plenty of misconstrued, exaggerated unfair stories out there being told to discredited someone's reputation
but I always believe to some degree where there is smoke there is fire.
Do I think things in the work field have become a little too serious with rules, 100%. I am not offended being told I look lovely today or that you care for my outfit but the lady next to me might find it offensive and inappropriate which I appreciate as well. There will always be a degree of double standards between sexes. Both fair and unfair. Clearly as humans we need rules or else society would be much more barbaric than it is now.

I really hope whoever is reading this talks to their sons when parenting about having respect for woman & teaches them locker room convo is unacceptable behavior.
If you've experienced a #metoo experience don't be afraid to share it with your children. They need to see it can happen to anyone, even their Mom.
If you're a father to a boy lead by example. Child are mirror images of you and pick up on your conduct and behavior. So no high fives about grabbing them by the p---y!!

Will sexual harassment ever stop? Unfortunately not. That's unrealistic... but speaking up & standing up for yourself can and will diminish millions of future victims.


Tracie


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.