Monday 16 September 2019

Re-Ric Ocasek

Bob,

I'm very sad to hear about the death of Ric Ocasek. I worked with Ric for 3 months in 1989 at the 19th Street townhouse that he just died in. John Kalodner introduced me to Ric to help develop and arrange his songs for his solo album. We demoed many of his songs and wrote a number of songs together including "Touch Down Easy" from his "Fireball Zone" album.

Ric was a very kind guy and a real gentleman. He told me about Andy Warhol and had a lot of art books and magazines lying around his studio. I feel privileged to have spent that time with him. He was a true original.

Rick Nowels

_______________________________________

Re Ric Ocasek. From Jim Kerr Simple Minds

THE CARS : GOOD TIMES ROLL

I was beside myself with excitement during the last week of November 1978. The chief scout of Arista Records (Home of Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Patti Smith, and our dream record label at that time.) made it clear that they were interested in signing Simple Minds, and as a result they suggested I immediately fly to London to discuss plans/producers for what would be Simple Minds debut album.

Walking through the doors of Glasgow Airport to make that journey was a first for me. My travel experiences up until then involved heading out to the motorway mostly - and sticking out my thumb. How was I to know that from that day on my hitch-hiking days were over - and that airports would soon feature among my life's pet(ty) hates.

The next twenty four hours are still a whoosh of
memories.

Chauffeur driven automobiles were laid on as Arista pulled out all the stops to make me feel both important and very much wanted throughout the trip, and I particularly loved chatting to their American executive Ben Edmonds who knew so much about music and had great taste to match.

Talking of taste. It was kind of them, but I could have done without being taken out afterward to what to me seemed like the poshest restaurant in London. I had never been in any kind of posh restaurant in my life, and felt hellishly intimidated throughout. What was I meant to do with all that cutlery for a start?

The highlight of the evening was very much still to come though as we then made our way to the Lyceum Theatre, where the hottest band on the planet (that week) were due to play. I'm talking about the Cars who were then making their UK debut, and anticipation for the show was running high, many doubtful as to whether they could reproduce live - the same highly polished sound of their huge selling debut studio album?

Afterwards, the jury seemed to be out? Critics slated the show and not for the first time I was left scratching my head with regards to the reasoning. I felt there was some kind of inverted snobbishness on their part, relating to the fact that the band had a distinct American professionalism about them. That they could sing and play, and write catchy songs, seemed to be causing suspicion among many whom I guess had still not had enough of turgid punk sounds still doing the rounds.

Me? I thought the Cars were inspirational with their intelligent mix of pop, rock and electronics. I liked the irony that showcased in some of the lyrics, and I especially liked the droll delivery from frontman Ric Ocasek.
Afterwards, along with Ben we were invited to go backstage and say hello. I felt much too shy to do so, and to this this day it is exceptionally rare that I accept an invite to go backstage after a show.

I sometimes wish I had though. Today is one of those days.

JK


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: https://ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.