Tuesday 12 June 2012

E-Mail Of The Day

From: Scott McKain
Subject: Re: WWDC

Bob --

You're the only one I've been reading who "got" what made the Apple session yesterday so important.

May I add one more item to your list? Apple delivers on the front line to the customer.

I'm on the road on speaking gigs, and after the WWDC program, called the Apple Store at the Forum Shops to see if they already had the new MacBook Pro with the Retina display in stock. Nice guy on the phone said no, but he would know more tomorrow, so I should call back and ask for Josh. I gave him my name and asked for him to expect my call.

Today, I was by the store anyway...so, I walked in. The employee at the front welcomed me, then got something over her earpiece. She asked, "Are you Mr. McKain?" A little surprised, I responded I was...but how did she know? She smiled and said, "Josh told me over the radio."

A young guy -- college age -- walks up and introduces himself. "After we hung up," Josh told me, "I Googled your name, saw your website and YouTube videos. I want to know my potential customers!"

They had ONE of the new retina display MBP's in stock -- and after that, I had to make it mine. But, here's another unreal thing -- as I was leaving, someone announced, "We have just sold the very first of the new MacBook Pros! A round of applause to the customer giving it a new home!" The store employees...some lined by the door...started clapping as I walked out! (Some other customers did, too, wondering what the hell was happening.)

Sure, I know it doesn't work perfectly all the time. But, Apple is making the technology seamless while simultaneously making the customer feel appreciated. Think Best Buy or Fry's has a chance when it comes time to buy my next computer? Sure, there's a premium you pay for Apple...or any other product or service of distinction...but it's worth it for the magical mix of technology and experience.

If I go see "The Avengers" and the theatre is dirty, and the projector's bulb is dim and old, the experience is soiled no matter what's on the screen. Why would a promoter or venue think it's any different when security is rude, getting to concessions and restrooms require the patience of the Dalai Lama, and everything from parking to drinks cost a fortune, regardless of the act onstage?

In music, the artist gets the applause...not the fans. What if the experience -- from clubs to coliseums -- was set up to make the audience feel connected and appreciated, instead of gouged? Maybe...just like we do with Apple...the audience would spend more -- more frequently.

Thanks, Bob.

Scott

--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




--
Powered by PHPlist, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.