Monday 20 August 2012

Re-The Animals/Burgers/+

bob;

mickie most was the most prolific, accomplished producer of our day.
george martin had john & paul's songs, not to take away from what happened to them on his watch.
i encouraged mick & keith to write .... and they did.
and yes, we had outfits and outrageous statements.
but mickie.... he was A & R.... he hunted down the songs and matched them with those he wished to record.
i recall in august of ' 64 mickie had three in the UK top ten.
the animals, groundbreaking 45 RPM; herman's hermits (goffin and king catch the new wave) and the nashville teens (john b. loudermilk meets the suburbs of london),
what prolific casting of song and artist !
less than a year before , in november of ' 63 , mickie was an artist, joint bottom of the bill with the rolling stones supporting the everly brothers and bo diddley.
tom wilson was no slouch either - a totally erudite efficient dude.

very best, andrew loog oldham

______________________________________

Hey Bob,

Mickie Most is my hero, I love every record he has ever produced.

I read an interview with Mr. Most in one of the audio rags about the recording of the Animals first LP. Apparently after a gig the band took an overnight "sleeper" to London (with all of their gear in tow) to record "Baby Let Me Take You Home" at Kingsway Studios. The studio was booked from 8AM-11AM, by 8:15 they had the take.

From the interview:

So what to do during the remaining two hours and 45 minutes? Well, that was easy. Why not make an entire album?

"That consisted of songs that they wanted to record, really," Most explained. "Songs that they'd rehearsed and played many times as part of their repertoire, so I said, 'OK, go for it.' We did everything live, straight to mono."

Now those were the days!

cheers..

Ed Stasium

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/articles/mickiemost.htm

______________________________________

Did you know that the singer echoing those "yeah"s was Lou Rawls? Nice trivia!

Rob Meurer

______________________________________

And don't forget Eric's collaboration with War...not just "Spill The Wine," but the whole SOUND.

It may not have come near the historic genius of the Animals, but it was important.

And Mickie Most may be the single most under-rated record producer of ALL TIME. You should do a show on HIM.


Toby Mamis

______________________________________

"White Houses" was the Animals' last hurrah, barely cracked the charts but one of EB's coolest vocals...

Kent Zimmerman

______________________________________

Great piece on the Animals. One thing nobody ever mentions is how much the Doors obviously nicked from the Animals' sound and approach...the prominent cheesoid organ, the brooding/menacing vocals, the dark lyrics...think about it...

Robert J. Lohr

______________________________________

I heard Terry Gross interview Barry Mann of the Barry Mann - Cynthia Weil song writing team on Fresh Air years ago. He mentioned that they originally wrote "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" for The Righteous Brothers, and for whatever reason they didn't record it.

Daniel Angott

______________________________________

I wonder if Sirius is playing the right version of "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" cause oldies radio doesn't. They play a version with a difft. lead vocal not the one on the 45 we all bought and loved. Sounds like an earlier take to me, like Eric hasn't quite found it. And its the same on the hits CD I picked up while back (likely where radio got it). I hate it when radio plays the wrong version of a classic track. Like the Boxtops "The Letter" without the overdubbed vocals that were likely added during the mix, or the wrong vocal on Baby Its You by the Shirelles, tho that one seems to have been corrected. And I swear I once heard Psychotic Reaction on the radio minus the flanging. Not quite the same record.

Caught the Animals on that Ed Sullivan R&R / PBS pledge drive recently. They're playing live and sound great.......

Mark Linett

______________________________________

So good to see you mention the Animals. In 1964, I was an 11 year old kid getting the full effect of The British Invasion via Ed Sullivan. The Beatles were ...The Beatles. Pop smarts, good hooks, catchy melodies and went on to greatness and Lennon/McCartney's songs will live forever.

Then there was The Stones. Scruffy, wearing sweatshirts, looking like hoods as opposed to the clean cut Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Gerry, Freddy, etc. Their music was darker. I later found out it was american blues music.

But then there was The Animals. Their appearance was sort of between scruffy and clean. But their sound!
I was drawn into them unlike any of the other groups. At the time, I din't realize that they were pretty much playing soul music. And Eric could fucking sing, goddammit! Here was a guy that I could FEEL. I got Animal Tracks for Xmas.

It is sad that in this digital age that all of their pre Frisco albums are not readily available.
Hip-O did a limited edition Animalisation, one of my favorites, but is long out of print.

I need to note that Spotify is wrong as far as the version of We Gotta Get Outta This Place. That is NOT the US version. I remember in the late 70s, I started hearing this version on the radio all of the time and it drove me crazy. Probably a tape mix up when they started re-issuing the material again. I know the original's inflections and phrasing by heart, and this one is just WRONG! The correct version is on a CD called The Animals Retrospective. After MUCH searching on Youtube, here is the correct US version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOkDJ7C07lk

There are so many great songs that you failed to mention: I'm Crying, The Other Side Of This Life, Cheating, Inside Looking Out (which Grand Funk had a big hit with), And then their fantastic versions of blues songs such as See See Rider, Smokestack Lightning, Boom Boom, Bury My Body(killer!), Gonna Send You Back To Walker(which I later discovered was their take on Gonna Send You Back To Georgia by Timmy Shaw, the man who brought Bettye to Johnnie Mae Mathews in 1963) and the HILARIOUS Story Of Bo Diddley. So many GREAT songs…

On a related note, Bettye almost recorded When I Was Young for The Interpretations album. She and co- producer/pianist/arranger Rob Mathes did a run through of it when they were working out arrangements.
It was pretty deep, but never brought to fruition due to the amount of slow tunes already on the album. Wish they went ahead with it. But glad I had my mini disc to record the arrangement rehearsal.

Anyway, thanx again for bringing some attention to my favorite band from the Invasion.

Kevin Kiley

______________________________________

Hey Bob, believe it or not I was at that Eric Burden show at The Country
Club in Reseda! Was it -- 1983? You see, this has a vivid and negative
connotation for me too, because, when we exited the club to the parking lot,
I discovered that the windows of my Toyota station wagon had been smashed
and my 1965 Gibson J-50 acoustic guitar had been stolen! A memorable night
(and not in a good way) for both of us!

Yer pal,
Ted Myers

(Note: It was 1982.)

______________________________________

Seven Concerts, Including Gotye in Toronto: http://gr.pn/SgCnRv

Four Concerts, Including Gotye in Toronto: http://gr.pn/PAtzU1

______________________________________

The perfect burger was at Cassell's on west 6th st in LA/Koreatown. I have traveled the universe and Cassells was always what I compared any burger to and it always rated #1! Amazing potato salad with horseradish - fresh ground meat right on the premises-amazing bun and cooked exactly as you asked. Great fixin's bar. Oh yeah and the grilled cheese on giant slices of rye bread was the bestest. I used to go there with the KMET crew and I used to bring everyone there-the classic visit was with Lene Lovich. Shh and I will tell the Frank DiLeo/Michael Jackson Cassell's burger taste test story.

Harvey Leeds

______________________________________

Some time when I see you, I'll tell you about how In n Out bailed on Rick Rubin who hired them to cater the Danzig record release party on American about 4 hours before they were supposed to cater it because they determined he was a Satan worshiper.

Peter Paterno

P.S. It may have been the Four Horsemen, not Glenn.

______________________________________

When recording bridges to Babylon at babyface's studio, it was a daily trip to the one on sunset, kept Keith going for days at a time!

Doug Bell

______________________________________

I've been kind of down on In n Out for a while, kind of burned out on it. But as a SoCal kid I have always stood up for it. I tried Five Guys on my birthday on the East Coast last year and didn't love it. After reading your letter the other day I got the craving for In n Out. Stopped into the Vacaville store amidst a horrendously trafficky drive. Cheeseburger, medium rare, animal-style, sport peppers. Delicious. I didn't know you could order medium rare but I think it makes a huge difference. Nicki got the protein style for the first time, medium rare, and loved it.
It's fast food, but it's the only fast food I can feel ok about eating.

Timothy Bluhm

______________________________________

Missed the original In-N-Out post. I was raised in the burger business. My dad owned a Foster's Freeze from 1957-1975, so I got pretty well versed in what's what.

The places that use griddles for their burgers rock. The ones that use conveyer belts suck. That?s the key, to me. Made-to-order rather than stocked up and sitting under a heat lamp. Of the big four (McDonald's, Burger King, Jack In The box and Carls Jr) only Carl's has a product I would call good (they bought Hardee's in the eastern US and are branding it with the Carl's star and some of the menu items). The rest are crap.

In-N-Out may be legendary, but I don't actually care for their burgers. They taste good, but they taste...little. Give me Fatburger any day of the week. It's leaner and fresher tasting and they taste huge, like a full meal. My kid prefers In-N-Out, and I know others do, but not me.

The Counter rocks, but it's expensive. Twenty-five Degrees in the Hollywood Roosevelt is also brilliant, on a par with The Counter, but with slightly less variety. But they have Guinness milk shakes.

One of your relies mentioned Kuma's Corner in Chicago, and that one is also world claass. And packed. My first visit there was a two hour wait for a table. We chose to only wait an hour for the counter. Well worth it.

Dan Navarro

______________________________________

I'm guesssing there'll be a burgers 2 mailbox so I gotta point one out that nobody mentioned.

New York City in the lobby of the Parker Meridien Hotel on 56th St. between 6 & 7th ave.

Called The Burger Joint and is totally hidden by floor to ceiling curtains so you have to ask where it is. At lunchtime and dinnertime usually really long lines but they move it pretty fast.

Once you order the wait is usually 5-10 mins. The thing that gets me is that it takes me right back to the '50's when these kinda burgers were virtually invented. Fries are great as well.

The inside is extremely 50's right down to a blackboard menu and maybe twelve booths.

Best time to go is 11 AM when they open or 11-11:30 PM when they close. They have a strong local inside following and there is to go as well. Quite a surprise considering it's not yet a chain.

@l k%per

______________________________________

I know I'm late with this, but I had to share. My Dad is the late Roger Miller (King of the Road). We lived in Santa Fe and our family favorite burger of all time is Blake's Lotaburger. This chain is only in New Mexico and are everywhere, there. They are mentioned all the time on Breaking Bad, so I imagine those folks know the secret.

You can get red or green New Mexico chiles on your burger, real cherry syrup for your Cokes, perfect ice and incredible fries

Anyway...if you're ever on a road trip or find yourself in Santa Fe, the best Lotaburger is on Guadalupe Street. It used to be a house and the manager, Dora, was born in that house, went to work there when it became a burger joint, and still works there decades later. She knows how to make a perfect green chile cheeseburger!

Dean Miller

______________________________________

I'm in with my friend John Boylan on this one. We usually commemorate the burger we grew up on. But, despite living nowadays on a mostly organic, fresh caught, locally grown, vegetable and fruit heavy diet, my trio were tired and on our way to Stagecoach Festival from LAX, and NOTHING could have deterred this highway weary gang (TM/FOH mixer, as well) from pulling into the first In-N-Out we saw. It was instantaneous and unanimous. As they say, "..That's what a hamburger is all about". Animal style please w everything.

JD Souther

PS The Apple Pan is just as great but, alas, there is only the one. It's a good thing I'm reading this on the wee farm in the Southeast or I would already be in the car. The response to your column is almost a family reunion of old friends and In-N-Out addicts.

Feel better Wendy, and happy hot fries to Robu, Kathy, Marty, Bob, Dave, Luke, Chris, Peter, Richard, Kenny, and of course, you , too Bob; thanks. ….I've never considered a tail gate party but this would make a helluva first.

John David Souther

______________________________________

I'm pretty sure I have the only one:

yfrog.com/h8k3ygsj

Jeffrey Foskett


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




--
Powered by PHPlist, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.