Friday 7 December 2012

DHH

He's my trusted source.

Ever notice how there's no tech help? I think it started with video games, which came without instructions, you were just supposed to figure it out by yourself. Then came the Internet, where everything was FREE! Well, not exactly, you gave up your data in return, but these companies started off with no business model and were making no money and if you thought you could get an answer, you were sorely mistaken.

So who do you turn to?

I don't like Twitter's iPhone app.

I'm overstating the case. You see Twitter's official iPhone app doesn't give me everything I want, and what I want isn't so exotic, I just want a search function that lists each and every mention of me. And if you think I'm trolling for compliments, you're not privy to my feed. That's where the haters say all the nasty things about me. It's like eavesdropping on a party you were not invited to. And it's astounding how many are "journalists." I chalk up their constant stream of put-downs and vitriol to jealousy, but it's never fun to read. But if you're not willing to embrace all feedback, you've got no idea what's really going on.

But Twitter's app doesn't give all this data. It seems if something is mentioned once, the retweets don't appear. And that's when you know they've really got it in for you, when this cabal of "journalists" keeps retweeting the hate, patting each other on the back, proving what a complete idiot I am.

But where do I turn? How do I solve my problem?

At first I just kept dealing with the settings in the official Twitter app. That didn't work out. So I did a bit of research, but was overwhelmed with the input, I don't want to spend a few days testing out Twitter apps, but I do want my problem solved.

And then DHH started to tweet.

DHH... Who's that?

David Heinemeier Hansson. You know, the mainstream media's go-to guy.

Not.

You know the mainstream media. That critical enterprise that always reveals the truth. Like how stocks are overvalued and make no sense to buy...

You don't even read that in the "Wall Street Journal." It's all go, all the time.

But not in DHH's world. All the tech companies...he analyzes the numbers, their future, and he's always right. Because that's the world he lives in. He's the creator of Ruby on Rails... Then again, you probably don't know what that is, and I never use it either, but Ian at Topspin does, it's a web development tool. And DHH wrote "Rework," which I wrote about here: http://bit.ly/91dPVn The money quote being if you're in it to cash out, stay out.

And suddenly, DHH starts tweeting about Twitter apps. Early in the morning of December 6th, he's reviewing Twitterific. And in a series of posts he reveals...

"Of all Twitter apps, though, Echophone for the iPhone is by far my favorite. Good balance between looks and functionality."

So I immediately go to the App Store to check it out. Turns out it's called Echofon and the reviews are stellar! And unlike Amazon, not everything worth checking out gets four and five star reviews in the App Store.

So I download it and...I LOVE IT!

Not only does it solve my problem, revealing each and every mention of me on Twitter, it tells me on the home screen how many new mentions I've got. Even tells me how many new tweets I've got. It's got all the info I thought was gone forever. Voila!

I'm even thinking of upgrading to the paid version, for $4.99. Then again, I'd only get rid of the ad. Meanwhile, the ad is so minor and unobtrusive and there's only one...I'd buy an ad on Echofon in a minute, because you see it!

And now I'm telling you.

Turns out we don't want to hear everybody's opinion. Just that of a couple of people. Who we invest in and trust.

And even though the Internet has decimated help, it's also enabled us to hook up with gurus, in every field, who are trustworthy filters.

And DHH is not trying to build anything on Twitter. His tweets run the gamut from reviews to stock analysis to corporate policy to auto racing. It's like having a best friend you never talk to.

DHH is my trusted filter. And he's the future.

https://twitter.com/dhh

http://david.heinemeierhansson.com


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




--
Powered by PHPlist, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.