Monday 10 October 2016

Mailbag

From: John French
Re: Cat Stevens At The Pantages

Jay Jay French responds

Bob 2 issues:

1. Flom/Carson/ Twisted Sister

Thank you for the kind words (eventually...) for our documentary We Are Twisted F*cking Sister.

I have been asked to weigh in on the issue of who signed us because... I keep diaries,
just like any other heavy metal guitarist/manager

On August 11th 1982, the night that Jason Flom saw the band opening up for his first signing (Zebra) we drove back from Poughkeepsie together. Jason was just flat out raving that he had just seen the greatest live act of his life and that he was going to march in to Doug Morris' office and get the band signed first thing on the Monday after the show. I just listened and didn't have the heart to tell him that the band will never get signed to Atlantic because, several months earlier, Rene Nally, president of Atco had been the latest label head to try to sign us and Doug squashed it and was very very hostile about ever wanting to hear the bands name mentioned.

We had just returned form England having finished recording our debut album on Secret Records, "Under the Blade", due out in September and Jason really wanted to have it released on Atlantic as we really only had UK distribution.

Furthermore, the clock was ticking down on our club scene. We felt like we were on a melting iceberg having come to the conclusion that the bar scene as we knew it was going away due to the drinking age rising ton 21 and the big (really big-4,000+) bars that paid us huge money.

These behemoths were all going to close.

Over the preceding 10 years we had taken the scene as far as it would go.

Jason was just so sure, so gung ho. I just couldn't tell him that this wasn't going to fly. Hey, who knows, maybe he would catch Doug at the right moment....
The following Monday morning, about 11:30 am, the phone rang. I knew how this call from Jason was going to go down.

A very crestfallen Jason called to tell me that Doug basically threatened him and anyone else who ever mentioned our name, that they would be fired.

Our UK label, Secret records, released the album in September and filed for bankruptcy 2 weeks later. This was business as usual for us. Disaster on top of disaster.

We hunkered down that fall desperately trying to figure out some sort of survival strategy.

Secret had made arrangements for us to appear live on the Tube TV as part of our promotion, so, having borrowed money from family and friends, we went to the UK in a last gasp "Hail Mary" that was the Tube performance that basically begins and ends our movie.

The day we arrived at the TV studio in Newcastle, Senior VP of Atlantic, UK Phil Carson, was also at studio with Mick Jones who was getting an award from the show when they ran into our manager Mark Puma. When Mark mentioned why he was there, Mick told Phil that Twisted Sister was all over the radio on WPLJ in NY.

That was the station that seemingly played Foreigner 24/7 and we used to buy about 100 one minute overnight commercials a week and played our one recorded original song as a bed to the commercial so it sounded like we were on a very heavy play list to casual listeners.

At that moment Phil said that he never heard of the band but had just bought this new gadget called a VCR and was recording the Tube show for Mick and would check us out when he played back the video cassette.

These are excerpts from my diary:

The morning after our Tube performance on December 17th, many labels wanted to sign the band, especially MCA. Puma said that if Phil Carson said yes, Atlantic ironically, would be the place to be even if we had to deal with Doug at some point.

We headlined the Marquee club over the next three nights, December 18-20
Phil came to see us on the first and last night. He came into the dressing room behind the stage and relayed the story that I thought I was going to dread. He said that because we were an American band he should inform the label head, Doug Morris. When he called Doug it must have just been the worst call Doug would get. After all, Twisted Sister was starting to get like the monster Jason, who just couldn't get killed off.

Doug repeated his disdain and basically told Phil "It's on you if we lose money!!" Phil said that he told Doug that he was signing us no matter what.

I couldn't believe what i was hearing, neither could anyone else in the band.

That is how it went down as the next day Phil took us to look at Jimmy Page's studio, the Sol and that is where, a month later, we moved into to record our first Atlantic album.

Phil picked all the songs for it and even pushed us for a "hit". Dee showed him "I am, I'm Me'. Phil oversaw the arrangement until was was to his satisfaction and lo and behold, we had a top 20 hit and appeared on Top of the Pops 3 times!!

So... Jason Flom, who we love dearly and who was almost fired over us, is and always will be, by the virtue of the single greatest asset that an A&R guy possesses, passion, be part of our history. A very vital and important one as he took over on the Stay Hungry project (without a doubt our legacy record without which there would be no movie and this letter wouldn't ever have been written) and that can never be questioned.

Phil Carson, however, signed Twisted Sister.

2. Cat Stevens:

As a 50+ year music fan and a 40 year performing veteran I have performed over 9,000 shows. Add to that another app. 1,500 that I saw as a teenager, basically living at the Fillmore East, Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ and the Capitol Theater Portchester, NY.
I really have seen too much and played too much to be impressed anymore by anything. It takes a lot to get me to a show these days. I would rather stay home and watch TV. The Blues is my default music and always will be.

I tell people to not ask me to go to a show because I just tend to watch and comment about the lights, staging, sound and, most importantly, the arc of the performance etc....

Just about every artist and band I have seen in the last 20 years does it wrong. Wrong set list, wrong arc...They blow it by not emotionally connecting in ways that would take their performance to the next level. Not even Springsteen gets it right. I've seen him twice, his live mix was awful and I was bored from about 30 minutes in both times.

FYI, his audience loves him no matter what, so from that aspect, he gave them what they wanted (I've never seen more pairs of Dockers in one location at the same time) , but it still could have been better and sonically please someone tell him to lower the chimes (Phil is in jail and the 60's are dead!) and please put guitars in the mix. You got 4 of 'em onstage (especially Nils Lofgren and Miami Steve deserve better!) and I can't hear any of 'em...

So....

Two weeks ago, I got married in Las Vegas (a story for another time) and when we got back to NYC my wife noticed that Yusuf Cat Stevens was playing at the Beacon which is just down the street from our apartment.

I know the manager of the theater and called him right away and we we got 4th row center seats for the show the following night.

I don't know really what to say..

Cat Stevens performance took me/us to places and feelings that I haven't felt in years.

Of course it's the songs,,,duh...but it was the arc of the performance played with passion, honesty, authenticity.

It was stunning and, as an atheist I can't believe I'm sayin' it....spiritually fulfilling.

Thank you Cat for doing this and making us feel again.

Thanks for allowing me to emote, Bob

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Melora Hardin
Subject: Re: Transparent

Bob
I've been reading your blog for years now because I'm also a singer/songwriter and you were recommended to me by a lovely woman in the music biz, Lisa Roy, who thought I might enjoy your music commentary and insights and I have very much. Anyway, I play Tammy Cashman on Transparent, was nominated for an Emmy this year for "Best Guest Star In A Comedy Series" and the biggest bummer about not winning was that I didn't get to get up and gush about the show, Jill and the actors that I've had the incredible privilege of creating with. So I was very excited to see you doing it here! It has truly been an incredible honor being a part of all that you described in your blog. And I'll tell you firsthand, all that resonates with you watching the show is doubled and tripled on set in real time. The depth of the narrative and characters comes from the depth of Jill Solloway and all the creatives she surrounds herself with. She is so confident in her choices and that confidence sets everyone free and freedom is where all those magic moments that make up Transparent spawn from. Thank you for writing about your resonance to the show and helping to bring more eyes to the raw, honest, incredible work happening in the Pfefferman universe!

Sincerely, Melora Hardin

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Twitter For Sale

I'm an independent artist and have been grinding it out on the road for the last 15 years with no significant radio play and no label deals. I put out a track on Spotify in 2014 (one of many) and several months later Spotify, unbeknownst to me, put the song on a playlist that was subscribed to by 900,000 people. It has now been played over 10,000,000 times and because I own my own records, there are no middle men, no other hands in the cookie jar. That amounts to a huge revenue stream for a guy like me. How can I not love Spotify?

-Ryan Montbleau

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From: Tarra Layne
Subject: A Thank You from "The Voice"

Bob,

You don't know me, but I am a contestant on this season of The Voice A.K.A. another struggling artist who moved to LA to make their dreams come true. BUT! That isn't the meaning of this message. I wanted to say "Thank you" and here's why. Pardon the long-winded-ness.

A friend of mine introduced me to your letter years ago and I'm still a happy subscriber. I especially enjoy your seamless break-downs on the corrupt industry we are in (but which one isn't?) and your "case-studies" on major artists and their marketing strategies.

I graduated from college with a degree in music industry and marketing. I knew I wanted to be an artist, but my mother was adamant about receiving a degree, so I ventured into a major I felt could assist me in my aspirations. As in any area of study, it only sort-of prepares you for what you are about to experience in the real world. Yet, studying marketing and journalism definitely gave me a solid foundation on understanding the business side of music - and I don't regret it.

I am a LAWYER, entrepreneur, publicist, sales person, graphic designer, singer, writer, entertainer, recording artist - probably in that order. Truth is, as an independent artist, I do it all. And unfortunately, I feel that to make it in this business, you have to know how to do it all. If you want to to just sing, you may as well grab a mic and amplifier and set up daily at places like the Promenade. If you want to write, you better do everything you possibly can to get into the right sessions and "company" to pitch to artists. If you want to be a successful artist and don't have loot, well, you better know how to navigate every aspect of becoming a business owner and pray to the rock gods that luck is in your favor.

Like many, I feel my music has suffered due to the business lengths I've had to pursue. Thus, it is why I enjoy your letters. I'd be lying if I said they haven't inspired, motivated, and helped me in my journey.

At the moment, I am a contestant on this season of NBC's The Voice (where I have learned so much and a whole 'nother subject!), am a singing voice for Monster High and Barbie, am planning my first tour and am chasing new major representation possibilities. I am still a "nobody," but I'm working in the area I love and enjoying the ride while praying every moment that I can go further. Success and happiness truly start with prospective.

I know you didn't ask, but I did make my own list of "musts" for aspiring artists. I feel like I did this as a small reminder for myself. I enjoy your lists, so from my shoes to your seat - here's goes.

PRACTICE. Learn your craft.

KNOW THE BUSINESS. Know your music rights and business practices.

DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE. Be a friend first. Be kind. If a bridge is going to burn, don't be the one who lights the match.

LISTEN. Be open to suggestion and be open to change or nothing will.

BE FEARLESS. Ask questions. Stay true to yourself. Take chances.

DON'T GIVE UP. Don't EVER EVER give up. Quitters never win.

Thank you again. I look forward to future emails.

Sincerely,

Tarra Layne
Twitter: @TarraLayne


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/?utm_source=phplist5595&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz?utm_source=phplist5595&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1&utm_source=phplist5595&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5595&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5595&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.