Monday 4 June 2018

E-Mail Of The Day

I work with Wise Snacks and we would love to send you potato chips and other product. What is the best address to send to?

Thank you in advance.

Kaley Elliott

______________________________________

In the late sixties when the Charles chip delivery came to our house it usually signaled my parents were throwing a cocktail party with the neighbors.
One memorable occasion was when the Charles chip guy decided to take a short cut across our lawn while delivering several cans of chips.
What no one noticed was that he had stepped in a big pile of dog crap and unwittingly paraded it through our living room to the kitchen.
Adding insult to injury, my father had brand new carpet installed the week before.
I'm still amazed to this day how he kept his cool with the delivery guy since his anger could parallel Ralph Kramden's when he blew his fuse.

Best,
g.robey

PS - Charles chip did pay to have the carpet professionally cleaned.

______________________________________

We in Hawaii have Maui Chips. Greasy, thick, crunchy tasty morsels of goodness.
Come visit Hawaii and enjoy a bag or order them online.
You will not be disappointed!
Lin in Paradise

______________________________________

So. I am from Lancaster. My family has lived there for almost 300 years. We have like six local brands of potato chips, a) most prepared with lard, which offers a crunchy yet transluscent goodness mere vegetable oil simply can't provide and b) the idea of small-batch, local chips was a cherished tradition since at least the 70's (you can buy unbranded home made chips at Lancaster Central Market and the branded versions might be 5 flavors per brand)—Utz, Gibble's, Gordon's, etc.

As for pretzels, Hammond's rule. Available in salted or not salted, whole or broken. Better than Wise, Wege's and other bigger brands.

There's a reason why Pennsylvania is alone in having its own Snack Food Commission.

Happy to discuss!

Henry Eshelman
Managing Director
PMG-Platform Media Group

______________________________________

dude.....you are really bringing back memories. I grew up on Long Island. makes me think of other things....like Old London Cheez Doodles, which were pre chee-tos. and Quinlan pretzels....the ones that were hand rolled or at least looked like it and had that bright white salt just like soft pretzels. I am pretty sure Wise still exists but I haven't been back there since my dad passed four years ago.

Mike Farley

P.S. sometimes I get these which are made by a local food truck but sold in stores too:

http://www.slidefoodcart.com/chips.html

they're very authentic and thick cut

______________________________________

Stew Leonard's from your old neck of the woods makes phenomenal potato chips
in-store. Recently went from having only regular and sweet-potato to now
offering salt & vinegar and one other flavored chip.

Quite tasty and worth the trip.

If pretzels might be your thing, in Akron PA, just a bit northeast of
Lancaster on Rt.222, is Pretzel Nirvana. It is called Martins Pretzels
https://www.martinspretzelspa.com/ . Amish women (women only) make the
pretzels fresh 7 days a week. If you catch them at the right time, there are
copious quantities of broken pretzels available for $1.50 a lb., and if you
ask nicely for a couple warm ones from the back, they always oblige.

The warm ones literally crunch and melt into a salty blissful taste in your
mouth. Nothing quite like it

Jon Lerner

______________________________________

Seeing your potato chip piece got me thinking about the chips we were forced to sell door to door in my Indianapolis Cub Scout den.
They were Red Dot out of Madison, Wisconsin and I'm pretty sure they were the best chips ever created.
Red Dot was sold to Lay which later that same year (1961) merged with Frito to become Frito-Lay.
Three years later I was sent to a military academy where I'd meet the owner's daughter;
Dorothy Lay...
actual name.
Man was she cute !
Be well, Kevin Teare

P.S. Chesty was THE brand of chips in Indiana in the 50's...more than my faves: Red Dot... both were eclipsed by Charles Chips...

______________________________________

Awesome! Imagine some of us feel the way that you do because we grew up with the intoxicating vinegar pucker of Kettle salt & vinegar. If I think about them for too long, the craving gets too intense. Because yeah... no one can eat just one.

Ryan Trask

______________________________________

Wondering whether the original Maui chips still exist? Those were the best I ever tasted! (Shep must know.:).

Regards,

Larry Heller

______________________________________

I enjoy your insightful and fun newsletters. Thank you.

FYI, Charlie Chips are still available http://www.charleschips.com/shop-chips.php
I believe I even recently saw them recently at Costco, Duane Reade, or another retailer (likely in the east coast)

Barry J. Heyman



______________________________________

My father comes from Central PA, near Amish country; a hot-bed for potato chip consumers & companies. You should explore some of the VAST offerings from PA, such as Gibbles (fried in ACTUAL pork lard!!!), Herr's, UTZ, Bickel's, or Martin's... to mention a few; Herr's being the red-headed stepchild of the group.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time visiting my family in the area, each of whom had a similar penchant / proclivity for PLAIN (salted) chips from the aforementioned manufacturers... other flavor variations were frowned upon, at best. Needless to say, I am a Luddite when it comes to potato chip 'flavors' given my upbringing. A plain UTZ chip is so paper thin, it is like eating a host at Mass, but far more delectable & crisp.

Whenever I bite into a chip from one of those producers, particularly Martin's or Gibbles, I am immediately transported to my grandmother's kitchen table, eating other unusual PA items like pickled eggs, dried beef & horseradish, souse, together with delicious PA potato chips.

Thank you,
Michael H.
Baltimore, MD

______________________________________

The #1 choice here in WV is "Mister Bee" (any flavor). Definitely worth a try.

Stephen Harvey

______________________________________

I have to underline ZAPPS. Glad to see someone wrote it in. We have cases of them shipped in to Vegas for the whole crew at the beginning of every run. Jalapeno is so freaking good.

Kim Bullard

______________________________________

All this chip talk has prompted me to remember my favorite all time potato chip throughout my life. The sacred combo at gatherings in the 50s-60s as a kid, cocktail parties or cookouts, any occasion where people gathered, was krinkle-cut potato chips and onion dip.

Even after going on the health food kick for life at age fifteen, there have been times when I've recreated that combo using organic sour cream, organic onion dip mix, and natural krinkle-cut kettle chips. It's the bullet train to divinity!

Melissa Ward

______________________________________

My favorites growing up in Brooklyn in the '70s and '80s were BonTon potato chips. I think Utz took them over. Not the same. But what is, nowadays?

Rob Maurer

______________________________________

I always looked forward to the arrival each week of the Charles Chip truck in my neighborhood in Nutley, NJ. Just like milk and the Newark Star Ledger newspaper, potato chips, pretzels and cookies were delivered door to door. It was a happier time.

Lou Maresca

______________________________________

Look at those responses! Dem Chips be serious...#kettlechips #saltandvinegar I agree with you, Cape Cod chips remind me of the sea.

Thank You For This Post,
Jaylaan

______________________________________

Chuck Norris can eat just one Lay's potato chip.

Eric Bazilian

______________________________________

As potato and potato chip lovers, my wife and I just returned from 2 weeks of travel in Spain to your column on chips. First, in Spain chips are the typical side car to most tapas and even entrees everywhere other than the very top restaurants. French fries? Not so much.

Tapas got boring in the 2 weeks in Spain, because from Seville to Madrid to Barcelona the cafes pretty much all have the same tapas menu, except in Girona (the Season 6 Game Of Thrones setting), where our palates were rewarded with ones different enough to make them special, mixing seafood with jamon. The chips though? Pretty spectacular throughout the land. However, still not as good as our favorite brand in the US, which is my second point.

As a 65-year old raised in the NYC area on Wise and one who only ate Lays or Pringles later when really desperate (I'd choose UTZ as the best second place finisher) and later still not a fan of all the numerous varieties that followed, I was shocked when you made no mention of a brand I'd expect you'd know of and love. Then, only a single letter came in touting them from Lance Grode.

How do you not know of, or love, the best no frills chips anywhere? Trader Joe's Ode To The Classic Potato Chip at $1.99 for a large bag are not only a bargain, but blow away the taste of everything else. Frankly, they're perfect.

After your column and needing to restock the pantry after 2 weeks away, we hit TJ's for 2 bags yesterday. I hope Lance's letter and this second recommendation get them the attention warranted, though hope it doesn't cause a run on them. Quite simply, they are the best chip out there; you can just forget the rest.

Andrew Blackman
West Orange, NJ

______________________________________

'Betcha can't eat just one!

I grew up on Wise (Bronx boy). Of course I love the freshly made ones served on the Santa Monica pier.

Bruce Garfield

______________________________________

Send me a mailing address and I'll send you a collection of Zapps. They are pretty awesome . . . we get them here in Nashville. Never was a fan of State Line. Vermont Country Store still sells Charles Chips AND the tins!

Wonder if they still make Maui chips. Those were pretty awesome, too.

The best thing about being an adult is that you can now eat potato chips for breakfast!!

Best,
Lee in Nashville

______________________________________

When I was young in Brooklyn in the 1960's Wise was the chip of choice however there was a point where it didn't make a difference because all I needed was a bag of chips and some Heinz ketchup and I would eat the chips with Ketchup...a staple although not the healthiest of my diet....if I ate that now it would be chips with ketchup with a TUMS chaser
Peace,Jason Miles

______________________________________

You can still get Wise potato chips at Big Lots from time to time. From what I understand they still make them back east though they're a shadow of their former deliciousness. They also made the best cheese doodles on the planet. Charles' Chips and pretzels were awesome too. Other awesome snacks from a bygone era were Tasticakes and Drakes Ring Dings and Devil Dogs.

Chris Lagemann

______________________________________

Wise still has a bag for $0.99 at the convenience store. I think the Lays are $1.49.

Tom Quinn

______________________________________

The WISE Potato Chip - Are Still Around

...I believe predominantly on the east coast, my friend. I'm from New York and always see the company's banner while watching the Mets.

Wise, TastyKake and Drake's Cakes. All vestiges of my Huntington, Long Island upbringing.

Matthew Warren

______________________________________

Wise Chips still exist, made in Berwick PA.

www.wisesnacks.com

You can buy online!

By the way, I enjoy the letters and your no BS perspective.

Regards,

Rich O'Brien

______________________________________

Wise available at hot dog carts throughout San Diego

Mike Wallin

______________________________________

Wise Potato Chips still rule!!

http://www.wisesnacks.com/

jdcapshew

______________________________________

I remember reading all the time that potato chips were bad for me so I stopped reading.

Jonathan Schneider


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.