Monday 18 June 2018

Re-The Greatest Showman

I love it and so do my kids.

Misha Guiffre

_____________________________________

I can't understand it either, but I'll tell you this. Teenage girls LOVE IT! My two daughters are 18 and 15 and they haven't STOPED playing it since the movie came out and when the song was played at their PROM, the dance floor ERUPTED…with girls. The boys were clueless (as teenage boys have always been). I was even skeptical about the movie until my youngest forced me to go see it when her Mom wasn't able to take her. And while the movie was a VERY sanitized version of the life of P.T. Barnum, it was entertaining, but the MUSIC was thrilling! As a 46 year-old man, I'm not in the target demo, but I was fully entertained and impressed. I'm glad you said something. I thought I was getting soft in my old age.

Thank You!!

BRIAN W. ROBERTS

_____________________________________

I weeped liked a child listening to "Never Enough". Uncontrollable emotion. I appreciate you.

Mike Miller

_____________________________________

Couldn't agree more! My kids and I LOVED the movie and it is THE ONLY album my teenagers have ever
asked me if they could buy! I mean, I work in the music biz and my kids could care less about albums, they only ever
want to download a song, each time they ask. This soundtrack is full of great music and the movie was so good, we bought
the blu-ray and have watched it, as a family, multiple times. Every parent I ask tells me the same thing, they bought the
full soundtrack, too, because their kids asked them to. And yet...no press on it! Go figure.

Melissa Dragich-Cordero

_____________________________________

Benj and Justin wrote "Dear Evan Hansen." FYI

Jim McCarthy

_____________________________________

my 8 year old daughter iris loves dancing to the showman soundtrack.
the under 10s are obsessed with it.

Ed Horrox

_____________________________________

Whatever Bob... I've heard both. The Greatest Showman mixes suck and Hamilton is pablum. It's gotta survive as just music and not rely on film or theater as a crutch.

LaLa Land should be renamed "Blah Blah Bland."

Middle school teenagers and wannabe theater folk are not the barometer by which I judge music.

fritzdoddy

_____________________________________

I never understood why it wasn't a bigger hit on radio here. Is it because she is not pretty enough? Not 16?

This video is pure joy. If it doesn't move you - you are dead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XLFEvHWD_NE

Adam Lewis

_____________________________________

Bob, my kids (6 & 8) watch that movie at least once a week.
They know every word to every song.
So do all their friends at PS 39 in Brooklyn.

And my wife and I love it - we don't have to listen to Jojo Siwa and "I'm a Gummy Bear" on endless repeat anymore....

Cheers,
Jonny Langston

_____________________________________

Bob, I agree! That story and the sound track where as close to Rocky as anything in the last 30 years. I have watched it several times. Funny how La La Land did so well. A confused man who isn't sure of himself luck's into everything, versus man with a clear path and vision taking strings of opportunity and weaving a future. Is it a commentary on the loss of faith in the American dream? AF

_____________________________________

My 5 year old may be solely responsible for over 5,000 of those listens on Spotify.

Erich Ziegler

_____________________________________

Bob, where've you been?

The Greatest Showman absolutely killed it in the box office, earning almost half a billion worldwide. It was the only film my friends and I watched multiple times in the movie theater. When was the last time that occurred with a film released in recent years?

I remember the first time I watched it, I left the theater and needed to own the soundtrack immediately, but it was impossible to buy in stores. So I went online and streamed, downloaded, and played it in my car almost daily ever since. When was the last time that occurred with a soundtrack released in recent years?

Earlier this year, all the late night and day time talk shows had the film's stars on, performing skits, and singing the songs all together. When was the last time a film brought in a group of such talented (known and unknown) people from all walks of life like that in recent years?

Oh, and the Grammy's! Broadway veteran Keala's performance still brings tears to people's eyes and with five nominations but only one win, despite it outselling better than all the other nominees (as you pointed out in its statistics) and it's still climbing. But when was the last time this industry came close to getting it right (or getting it at all for that matter) in recent years?

Sarah Friedman, Esq.
NewWorld EntLaw

_____________________________________

You tied The Greatest Showman to Hamilton but there's more than one common denominator besides Atlantic: Alex Lacamoire, a producer and arranger of both soundtracks. He's the maestro behind the genius of both albums.

David Beame

_____________________________________

In case you haven't seen these two clips from the green-lighting run through, I'll share them. I enjoy them as much, maybe more than the final produced movie scenes.

For the first clip, the story is that Hugh Jackman had surgery to remove cancer in his nose right before the all-cast run through of the script/songs to get the green light from the Executives at the studio. He wasn't supposed to sing, but they couldn't tell that to anyone or else they wouldn't show up...

From Now On Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluaPvhkIMU

Keala Settle Demo of This is Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLFEvHWD_NE

It's amazing how powerful the songs were, even in rehearsal.

These kind of moments in the run through are what it's about.

Joel Wilson

_____________________________________

I disagree Bob. It may be popular - and I appreciate you tracking that - but that does not make it good. Way too clever to be good. Typical Broadway anthem.

Matthew Conway Dunn
CONWAY REAL ESTATE SERVICES, INC.

_____________________________________

I think it might have just been those ignoring the genre that never heard of it. It was an awards season regular, there was tons of press!

Paul & Pasek also won a Tony and a Grammy for "Dear Evan Hansen" - easily the most innovative and important musical of our time, given its themes of depression, social media, teen suicide, and how easy it is to project to the world only the version of yourself you want known.

They have an amazing way of writing songs for musicals that serve the purpose of dialog and moving the story along, but also they're just good songs you'd want to listen to regardless.

I listen to their songs over most of the throw away music out there these days.

Trish Angelo

_____________________________________

It's catchy tunes and family oriented. Don't underestimate how many 4,5,6... yr olds are singing that soundtrack. I have two under 8 that have it in rotation.

Aaron

_____________________________________

Even my chihuahua loves this soundtrack!

Buffy Visick

_____________________________________

i have been hearing this is it for months on Beats1... Zane Lowe and Ebro are the real last dj's...

steve tipp

_____________________________________

Hi Bob!
Proving that "Show" business is very much alive!
Michael Des Barres.

_____________________________________

I watched it last night and it is amazing!

Ray Vaughn

_____________________________________

exactly!!!! Finally someone (you) takes notice of this amazing movie and soundtrack.
It is a phenomenon, has me hooked, listened to the soundtrack over and over (I wouldn't usually do that on a musical), told everyone I know to go see it -- most of my LA friends said it was so so, but my friends and family outside of jaded LA loved it ;)
Thanks for shouting it out!?
Andrea Young Co-Founder & Chief Playlisting Officer
Koral Young Group

_____________________________________

They also wrote and won a Tony for Dear Evan Hansen. They're great guys!

Stacey Sher

_____________________________________

I feel the same way. I happened to watch this movie on Friday night, after finding out that my God daughter was going to aerial camp because of Zendaya's character in "The Greatest Showman".

I found myself sitting straight up overly engaged at 1:30 in the morning. If you're wondering how, the beauty of Amazon and a jailbroken fire stick will allow you to lay your eyes on whatever you want. Please no judgement.

The songs are beautifully written, the choreography is fun and executed flawlessly. I've literally been talking about how fun this movie was to watch and how pleasantly surprised I was by it. I hope it's just a late hit, by cause it definitely deserves to be seen/heard.

Best,

Jazzy

_____________________________________

Get a teenager, Bob. My kid's a theater geek and knows all the words to Greatest Showman and sing it with all her friends. Hamilton, too.

Imagine that, making music with friends for fun!

Sam Pfeifl

_____________________________________

One of the writers - Justin Paul - is a Staples High kid. Westport roots!

Drew Angus

_____________________________________

This flick was huge in Australia probably because our boy Hugh is in it. We love it when an Aussie kid does well on the international stage and Hugh is a real talent. What makes this show great is the music. I was instantly awe struck by the tunes and how well produced they were. It's also a family show and my kids sing these songs over and over. They get the morality too but I never heard a show that had so many great tracks.

Cheers
Owen Hogan

_____________________________________

Greetings from West Sussex, England, UK.

Great newsletter re The Greatest Showman. I believe that ultimately, most people still want to be moved by music; to cry with joy or sorrow, with goosebumps all over.

Check out my artist Jennifer Owens - it's an interesting one as labels here aren't interested, but all of the TV shows want her. I know she will be able to move millions; TV people see it, labels don't.

This is an unlisted link as we haven't released it yet. It sounds like a love song, but it's about the

All the best,

Guy Gyngell

_____________________________________

Justin Paul is a Staples High School grad, and often returns to Westport to give back to the music and drama programs. He's a treasure.

Thomas Sladek

_____________________________________

Amen. The artist is Keala Settle.

You should see her perform.

Oscars - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6GrbAJq7tM

Graham Norton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNRBgxiS2c

Biggest record of the year. And most of radio missed it. Most weeks at #1 for an album ever in Uk. 19 weeks. Beat Adele's record of 13.

Mark Beaven

_____________________________________

Totally agree...Had no idea what to expect till I had movie night at my house with a bunch of friends and they all wanted to see that flick..Really glad I did.I thought the music was outstanding...

Al Marks

_____________________________________

We saw the movie 5 times in theaters and own the DVD...which we've watched at least 5 more. It's the best movie I've watched in a long time: Great story, well acted, wonderful music, and a total escape. It's everything movies should be!

Welcome to the party!

Best,

Roop S. Virk BA

_____________________________________

the under 10's are all over this soundtrack, my 8 yo daughter and her class mates have been listening to the songs for months - its right up there with Slime videos


Cheers,
Alan Robertson

_____________________________________

The music in the film was outstanding. I worked on the film a few days in L.A.
for additional photography. It had a really good vibe. Hugh Jackman is such a class act. I saw the film in Connecticut with my mom and we both loved it. Hope you are well, Cinzia Zanetti

_____________________________________

Back at school after Xmas break, I always ask my students what movies they saw, and this was hands-down the one that everyone went to. Elementary school kids are a pretty good barometer of pop culture, I've found.

But Joseph and I watched this the other night... and it's already evaporated from my memory.

John Hughes

_____________________________________

My 6 year old daughter is obsessed.

Josh Millman

_____________________________________

"The Greatest Showman" didn't get great reviews, I suspect because it dissed reviewers (who are about as thin-skinned as they come). It's a wonderful, positive movie and everyone I've turned on to it has thanked me for doing so. Hugh Jackman carried that film but he was not the only star in that particular firmament.

The DVD has behind-the-scenes footage and commentary that will make you like it even more.

Craig Anderton

_____________________________________

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2018/jan/31/the-greatest-showman-success-film-story-of-the-year-hugh-jackman

Bob—My 12-year-old daughter turned me onto this after she saw it with some friends in the theater, shortly after its release. Amazing visuals, infectious music. I think they take liberties with the facts, but it's an entertaining musical. Thanks, as always.

Stuart Gunter

_____________________________________

Hey Bob,

Hope that you're well.

The impact of this film is quite extraordinary.

My two children (10 and 14 Y.O boys) would run a million miles away from any musicals and are generally disinterested in movies unless Marvel or The Rock are involved.

They LOVE this movie and have become obsessed with the soundtrack.

When they would normally listen to Drake, Post and songs by You Tubers (that phenomenon is just bizarre - Jake Paul etc) they will now listen to these songs over and over and over.

With their favourite songs from the OST this can be up to 10 times in a row - more than they would ever listen to any other song. It is amazing!

And not just listening, but singing along at the top of their voices.

These are very sporty, self conscious (you gotta be play it cool) and non flamboyant boys belting it out with Zac Efron and Hugh Jackman with joy and abandon.

It really is so interesting to see and a completely different reaction than any other music they have loved.

I think the additional emotional context of the music, and pairing it with the visuals/storyline has enhanced the connection in the way that brilliant soundtracks do?

Maybe they're just great songs?

Whatever is going on with this soundtrack, it is an amazing achievement that they have destroyed all kinds of demographic boundaries and made something that is usually pretty cheesy (show tunes) very cool and addictive

Also worth noting that they're not hearing any of these songs on radio (which is still the #1 influence in Australia) - it's all on demand streaming

Quite a phenomenon!

Jesse Flavell




--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-TuneIn: http://tunein.com/lefsetz
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.