Wednesday 25 July 2018

Re-Duchess/Genesis

"Duchess" is utterly magical…the 1980 tour was, in my estimation, the band's last truly great one…although there were a few small club shows in '82 that were astoundingly great as well. I'll send you a show that is just unfuckingbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZnP6eq9kcM

Scroll to 42:56 for "Duchess", but the entire gig is a killer.

Michael

_________________________________

Yes...Yes....Yes!!!!!!

When I was 11 years old I had my own little stereo. It was pretty crappy (a record player with two speakers that were wired directly into it, volume knob on the front). It was nothing like my Dads' Denon turntable, Sony reel to reel, and Klipsch speakers that were taller than I was. But...it was MINE!

I basically listened to hand me down records from his collection, CSN, Four Tops, and the Doobie Brothers.
Around this time I started hearing some music that resonated with me that wasn't in my Dads' record collection. It started with a couple of my cousins' Styx records and the first Van Halen record. But what REALLY turned my head one day, was hearing the song "Misunderstanding" on the radio at summer day camp. The camp counselor (who was named Reagan) told me that this was a band called Genesis. I heard the song about three or four more times that week and just absolutely loved it. It was time to talk my parents into letting me tape a penny to a postcard and join a record club. I could order some music that wouldn't be my Dads' records. They would be MINE!

The day the albums showed up was a great day. I had ordered no less than three Styx records (thanks to my cousins) Van Halen's "Fair Warning" and Genesis "Duke". I skipped through the others and went right to "Duke"
Those were truly the days. The first thing that got me was the cover. "Was that Duke? What was he looking at out of the window?" I took the vinyl out of the sleeve, but much to my horror, it was mislabeled. Both stickers in the middle were for side two! I couldn't start with side two. It had to be side one! How would I know? Well, I decided to just take my chances and follow along with the lyrics and I would write a little "1" on whatever side it ended up being.

It didn't matter.....

The minute I dropped the needle onto "Behind The Lines" (Side 1!)...that was it! Even on my little crappy stereo, it was HUGE! What was this? This wasn't Howard Roberts, Jimmy Smith or Tower Of Power (some of Dads' faves) this was something completely different!!!! Big keyboard sounds, guitar chords, deep bass (as deep as it could get on this unit) and......the drums!!!! I had already been playing for 5 of my 11 years and I had not heard anything like this. So I listened to all of the amazing twists and turns and then...just after 2 minutes.....BAM...it settles into the track and a vocal comes in and it was like a different song. And there I sat...with my jaw on the ground, trying to make sense of what had just happened to me. When the track faded out and the Roland 808 drum machine faded in, I was AGAIN, hearing something very different. And "Duchess" was just beautiful. My 11 year old self actually felt bad for the character by the end of the tune! I knew that this music was going to take me on a different journey. I hadn't even gotten to my beloved "Misunderstanding" yet.

This record changed my perception of music. I still own the mislabeled copy I got in the mail. I was an instant Genesis and Phil Collins fan and continue to be. I've been fortunate enough to be professional musician for my entire adult life. There are, of course, many influential points along that map. But..."Duke" was a big one.

Ed Toth
Doobie Brothers

_________________________________

"Guide Vocal" the track that follows completes "Dutchess" for me. Aside from "Dutchess," my go to track on this album is "Please Don't Ask." One of my favorite songs of all time. To me, this is the track where you can feel Phil Collins take it to the next level.

God I love this record!

Marty Winsch

_________________________________

Thanks for celebrating these albums, Bob. The era from Trick of The Tail through Three Sides Live, to my mind, represents the finest continuous string of albums of any popular group. The level of musicianship, creativity and production clarity is unsurpassed. Seconds Out would be my top choice if I could only have one desert island disc.

I have a pristine live bootleg of the band from a two night stand at the Theatre Royal in London on the Duke tour that they recorded when they were putting down tracks for Three Sides Live. It's the best live performance I've ever heard from them. It also illustrates what a fantastic front man Phil Collins was as he holds the audience in the palm of his hand. Let me know if you'd like the link to the Dropbox

Cheers

Andy Dayes

_________________________________

Thank you Bob. Thank you thank you. And yes, I'm a "Gabriel"-ite, but have always found the post-Gabriel stuff to be vastly overlooked from any perspective you want. But enough about that, they were a great band, all extremely talented, and really found something with the trio of Phil Collins, Tony Banks, and Mike Rutherford.

How much of a Gabriel-ite? When I was a freshman at Tulane, we drove from New Orleans to Memphis to catch Genesis (w Gabriel) on the Selling England By The Pound tour. Magic - pure magic. When they toured "The Lamb" the record wasn't even out yet and I drove from D.C. to Baltimore (by myself) on a cold rainy night to see them play. I've seen them maybe 3 times with the post-Gabriel band, and have enjoyed seeing them become "the best live band in the world" etc etc....

Thanks for the memories, and the taste as always...

John P

_________________________________

Seconds Out is what the live record was called. Best track, Cinema Show. Double drum solo. Bill Bruford of Yes fame and Phil Collins. Rest of the record is Chester Thompson of Zappa fame. But Bill was the drummer on the Trick of the Tail tour. Chester took over after that. Saw Genesis in 74. Massey Hall, Toronto. The Selling England by the Pound tour, some say best ever. No encores, as Peter said "the play's the thing". Quoting Hamlet. Although some might argue that the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour was better. I can't decide.

https://youtu.be/NghJHyoEV7A the whole show from '74. Montreal, Centre Sportif

Jake Gold

_________________________________

Great riff on Genesis.

Trick of the Tail is one of my faves also—though I was castigated then by my prog buddies for liking anything Post-Gabriel.

I also liked Drama by Yes. Blasphemy!

Those were the days. And Genesis was so good live when both Chester Thompson and Phil played drums.

There's actually some good prog bands coming up out of the South.

My son took me to see a band called CBDB from Alabama. There were about 40 people at the Exit Inn in Nashville. And they were great!

Prog is not dead. It's just been hibernating. There is a great crop of talented youngbloods with crazy chops coming up. We will see and hear it again.

But you are so right about the joys of racing home with the gatefold vinyl—dropping the needle and sitting there with the double album folded out in your lap. When a great stereo was akin to having a nice car. In fact, it was always better to me. Not sure the boat anchor sized receivers will ever come back but it sure was fun and sounded so good!

David Bach

_________________________________

Thanks Bob. Been listening to Three Sides Live since it came out. There was a live concert video of "Turn it on Again" that used to be on MTV way back when that got me hooked on the album. Duchess has always been my favorite track on the record. So glad you've brought it to life again. Cheers.

Jed Weitzman

_________________________________

This is great Bob, I lost interest after Trick Of The Tail, Ripples was and still is my guilty pleasure. I always correlated Lennon and McCartney to Gabriel and Collins…Lennon and Gabriel had more edge, more artsy, their work seemed to encompass a huge, complex and pained imagination. Collins and McCartney were just painfully talented and needed to make music, thus more commercial (that can be debated), Whether Collins sold out or not, it does not tarnish his talent as a vocalist, writer and of course his drumming. Every drummer I've discussed Phill Collins with is hats off…..And as far as Yes goes, ck out Yes Live at Duke University 1972 (thank you Spotify), nothing short of super human. Thanks for bringing us back Bob.

Brad Cole

_________________________________

Funny you should bring up Genesis right after the stereo system series. The albums "Duke'" "Abacab" and "Three Sides Live" were on steady late-night rotation on my stacked double Advent system in the early 80s. Yes, I had 4 Large Advent loudspeakers, turning a pair upside down and putting it on top of the first pair. This way the tweeters were closer together for a more pinpoint top end. These were bi-amped with a pair of modified Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amps. Other great late night tracks included: "Dodo/Lurker," "Me & Sarah Jane" and "Home by the Sea" with the tubes pounding voltage into the Advents operating at full throat. Heady days...

Did I mention Phil Collins is a drummer's drummer with a top 40 singing career? Even Ringo can't top that!

Peter Duray-Bito

_________________________________

This is the "in defense of Genesis" piece I've been waiting for you to write, I knew it would happen some day! Beautifully stated on-the-nose description of what the band did so well and how it made us feel. I still listen to "Squonk" at top volume and the feeling is the same. And "Duchess" - what a song! I'm going to listen to it right now.

Thanks,
Kelly Gross

_________________________________

So you listened to it at Freddy and Demi's. My band Bullet Boys (not the 80s metal band) played with Freddy's band The Nu Kats in the late 70s. Demi was there. She was 16 at the time.

Steven Casper

_________________________________

My all time favorite Genesis song!!!! I haven't even read this email yet, but I had to respond as soon as I saw the subject matter (and read a bit to confirm that it was indeed about MY "Duchess"). I can't believe you're writing about this! Alright, enough exclamations. Time to read the post...which I will do while listening to "Duke".

Marc Reiter

_________________________________

Bob - if you love Duchess, you must give a shout out to "Behind the Lines" - one of my favourite (Canadian spelling) songs which leads into "Duchess" on Three Sides Live.. I believe you have to take the album in as a whole 30 plus min composition....

Thanks,

John Hayes

_________________________________

Bob, good post. I was a big Genesis fan in college and got deep into their catalogue. I still pull out their albums once every couple of months. I have to say that "Selling England by the Pound" was by far and away, their best album in my opinion.

Please give it a listen.

Tom Scharf

_________________________________

Great stuff, Bob.
I played the shit out of Three Sides Live - In The Cage Medley - Afterglow (two drummers!) is fantastic. I was 11 when it came out! And in college I made a friend who loved this album and version of In The Cage as much as me. And we cranked it. Fun times.
Paper Late on the studio side is also a great tune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AhBJwARAes
"There's no need to be nice on the way up, 'cause you're not coming down."

That line hits me in a completely different way today. Phil Collins is a guy who knows about the way up and the way down. I loved Genesis and Phil's solo stuff and he was a massive star!!! "Against All Odds" was huge.I honestly don't know what happened but it seemed like one day it became de rigueur to hate Phil Collins…and he just kind of disappeared. Then he had the vocal issues but he scored a broadway hit a la Elton John. He has produced tons of music, played sold out stadium tours…he deserves a bit more respect, I think. Why does Rod Stewart get treated differently? He came out rocking hard…and fell off that wagon quick and fast, spiraling into sappy, cheesy, commercial crap. That's worse than anything Phil ever did, is it not?

/end unexpected rant about Phil Collins not getting proper respect

Eric Seifert

_________________________________

Thanks so much for recognizing Duchess. Been a fav of mine since the record first arrived. The street noise was that Duke was an album Collins lyricized while going thru a horrible divorce ( word is, he's still the clubhouse leader in divorce proceedings settlement monies). As a working musician of many years with the most fleeting of minor successes, the lyrics and presentation are the details aw here, as i'm certain is the case for so many musician/grinders who move on to the more traditional life rolls as we age. As you've so eloquently said a million times, one of life's trickiest challenges is when one finally calls it quits as a working musician, and you quickly realize there's nothing else in life that even comes close to the road, the dressing room and the stage.
To; paraphrase Bear Hands, every day I am loving your work more.
Thanks,
NickB in Vegas

_________________________________

A nice reminder of a fond time for me also. I know it's unfashionable but I grew up with Genesis and they are one of only a handful of bands that have stood the test of (my) time. Can't listen to Duchess without listening to Behind the Lines, the song that comes before it both on Duke and Three Sides Live. They are a tandem, a mini-suite, inseparable as far as I'm concerned. And on that note, guess what I'm about to play...

Mark Foster

_________________________________

what a fantastic and exact review of one of my favourite bands of all time.. took me right back and through the decades.. thanks

Andrew Johns

_________________________________

Spot on, Bob. The album "Duke" is one of my favorite aural experiences ever, front to back, with "Misunderstanding" as a sort of mental intermission in an otherwise majestic and tragic and thrilling song cycle. I remember the first couple of listens didn't really register, but on the third listen the Anticipation you mentioned kicked in and suddenly I was enthralled with the whole thing. That's the mark of great composition, when you know what's coming, you can't wait to get there, and then Boom, there it is!

I'm sorry for the bluetooth generation that's missing out. Missing out on enveloping sound and missing out on the monumental compositional efforts of previous generations of non-distracted musicians. I encourage everyone to experience "Duke"… at least three times.

-Mark Hiskey

_________________________________

Love Genesis but was horrified that you went from Foxtrot to....Wind and Wuthering?

Nothing about their two greatest Gabriel-fronted epics — Selling England by the Pound or their masterpiece Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? Seriously? Go back and listen to "In the Cage" off Lamb.

Post-Gabriel Genesis was OK but hardly had the special drama and unpredictability of Gabriel. Slicker maybe but they were missing their dark heart.

I saw them on the Trick of the Tail tour in Chicago and the sound and spectacle were great. But in hindsight it was just flash and pomp. Collins tried to do the Gabriel act at times but he just came off as a lightweight. Tony Banks turned out to be a pop-worshiping doodler. Did you ever watch the Genesis documentary? It was fun to see Gabriel practically smirking every time Banks yammered on about all their later pop hits.

Genesis may have sold millions after Gabriel but now no one cares. "Suppers Ready", however, still electrifies.

Dave Curtis

_________________________________

I saw The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour (just prior to Gabriel's departure) One of the top 50 of the 10,000 or so live acts I have seen. I was young & very fortunate! I also caught all 4 of the solo album tours up through So. He is something else!!
Still touched by you your review of the Jeff Beck package concert Bob!! (I should have been there.)

Lavon Pagan

_________________________________

Finally! Have always held Three Sides Live (and Seconds out for that matter) as one of the great live albums of all time.

And you could not be more on point than Duchess on TSL.

Thanks Bob.

/ David Mortimer-Hawkins

_________________________________

Thank you Bob. I'm a Sixties baby, my introduction to music came with my uncle taping sections that he thought my sister and I might like… as you did in those days, you wanted to be sure you filled the tape so I had ELO's A New World Record followed by Turn It On Again. When it came to Christmas, I asked for Duke, my first ever bought cassette, the first piece of original music that I owned and could play in my bedroom. Suffice to say it was played to death; strangely, I then picked up Foxtrot in a bargain bucket, so I started Genesis from both ends. I still don't know if it was a curse or a privilege to have missed the Seventies heyday of so many bands, as to me each was a clean sheet… those berating "inset band here" for the change of a singer, or a new style, left me flummoxed and still do. When we start treating people as possessions, things generally go a bit wrong.

Listening to Duke now. Thank you for the prompt.

Jon Collins

_________________________________

Yess! Duchess is a fantastic song, really quite bitter. The album is strong, with the exception of Duke's Travels which tries and fails to match the wonderful Los Endos from Trick of the Tail.

Steve Hackett is still touring a wonderful set with Nad Sylvan doing a great PG (he has some good recent prog albums in his own right which you can find on Spotify.)

I'm seeing Steve again this fall (in England) as he's touring again with an orchestra. Check out his work with Icelandic band Todmobile on YouTube - Steve playing with the Icelandic Orchestra and a lead singer that could be Thor - trust me it works! https://youtu.be/AR948ak4VjM

All the Best

Jamie Riddell

_________________________________

Wow Bob. Love when you pull up these gems from the past. This one really resonates with me.

I looked on Spotify and saw that this one came out in 1980. That is the year I graduated from high school. I remember putting on this album and just floating with the music. The cut right after ,Guide Vocal,especially spoke to me. " I am the one who guided you this far. All you know and all you feel. Nobody must know my name. For nobody would understand. And you kill what you fear. "

Thanks again for bringing me back.

Chris Kottke

_________________________________

Love In the cage off of 3 sides with Chester Thompson and Phil going at it!

Dano

_________________________________

There's good stuff from every album but you didn't mention their best - The Lamb.

Despite its being opaque, the music, singing, production and yes, lyrics are amazing.

Adam Bernstein

_________________________________

Hey Bob. If you listen to what Tony Banks says about the Duke Album, it's a epic concept album side if you remove the singles. They wanted to write another epic like Suppers Ready but also wanted to make some money. The Result is Duke. I would also argue that Seconds Out is the better live Album, I think that was the peak of the Prog Rock version of the Band. Steve Hacket is still touring the earlier music brilliantly. Agree you would need a forty pound Alexa to do this music justice. The big Stereo rigs and Prog went hand in hand. Cheers Pete Quigley from Toronto.

_________________________________

Man I have thought about those songs in years. I had ALL of those albums.

Sincerely yours,

David Levy

_________________________________

I loved this essay on Duchess - probably my favorite Genesis song ever - and up until this moment I thought I was the only one that knew it - or at least appreciated it. Perfection. Thank you, Bob.

Carl Park

_________________________________

At some point, most young drummers that want to be more studio and set out understand the bible of 'groove,' usually sponge up Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro or more currently, Vinnie Colaiuta. For me, it was Chester Thompson's drumming on Genesis' Seconds Out and Three Sides Live. Chester has a great combination of time, pocket and dynamic reaction. At the time, I needed something a bit more compelling than what was happening on Steely Dan records (I have since come to love the Aja record).
Not to mention, the 'In The Cage' medley on TSLive which still slays me. Besides the band being on top of their game, the double drumming is outstanding.

Duke is the last noteworthy prog record from that period, IMO.
Rich Pagano

_________________________________

Great column.
I always enjoy your reminiscences of discovering bands and the progression from first encounter to full engagement.
My path to discovering Genesis wasn't the same, but some aspects were similar to yours.
Certainly the first album I loved was "Trick of the Tail". Great songs like "Squonk" and "Dance on a Volcano" that were a bit more accessible than some of the earlier pieces. I also think it was the best-sounding album they'd produced up to that point.
Good stuff.
Cheers

Rob Hargadon

_________________________________

There are just not enough people making recommendations these days. I appreciate you always sharing the content you find amazing. I have read books, listened to songs, watched streaming programs that you have posted about. And now after the past week talking about audio gear, I have purchased your exact turntable from the 70's (Technics SL-1300) - found for local pick up here for $200, original owner, in mint condition, sounds great. And then today randomly found Genesis Three Sides Live and WInd & Wuthering at an antique store. Thanks again and keep the sharing up.

Mark Dubec

_________________________________

Have to agree completely with you on Seconds Out and Three Sides Live.
I grew up listening to those Records and found very few that could challenge the Sonics and the Songwriting.

Even today I will dip back into those tracks and marvel at the musicianship and camaraderie on stage.
It's hard for me to listen to the original records because I feel the live versions eclipse the studio recordings.
Thanks for the reminder!

Ed Rode

_________________________________

Great stuff about "Duchess", such a great song and Duke is such a cool album. I too came to Genesis post Gabriel. I got to see them at Winterland on the "Seconds Out" tour and loved it but it's the "Three Sides live" tour and album that really got me. That one was in L.A., might have been the Sports Arena, We sat right behind the drums. Seeing and hearing Phil Collins and Chester Thomson was mindblowing. Double drumming mastery. Of course there is a drum fill leading into "Afterglow" that Chester also played on a Zappa song (More Trouble Every Day/Roxy and Elsewhere) What a dynamic lead in to the song, it builds and builds and then BAM, perfectly placed drum fill that perfectly flows and enhances the arrangement. The Wind and Wuthering version is nice too but that live version is still my fave.
Loved your Happy Together tour write up too. We saw the show here in Atlanta a few years ago and I agree about that version of Peaches, They also did a great version of one of my favorite songs from 200 Motels. "Magic Fingers"
I love reading your column, so many great memories of the music we love. I'm digging the podcast too,
Best regards from Atlanta,

Jez Graham

_________________________________

Thanks for this. I love Duchess the Duke LP (sorry to the purists as well) or as my friend Scott always tells me I don't collect Earth, Wind & Collins... I saw all the Duke tour LA shows including the Roxy show were Phil was selling the tickets inside the box office. Memorable! Loved your Freddie Moore nugget. Saw the Nu Kats (and Demi hangin' out) many times...

Cheers, Mark
Southland CD

_________________________________

Bob - Another great piece of writing about a different time in music evolution.
I can't count the number of songs and artists that I have "rediscovered" listening to Deep Tracks. I especially appreciate the deejays like Earl Bailey, Dusty Street and Jim Ladd who KNOW the music, the backstories, the connections and the musical history. They were there!
Keep on rockin' Bob!
Burke Long

_________________________________

I always regarded Genesis as having three periods; Gabriel; Collins/Hackett and Collins/MTV.

I always regarded the two Collins/Hackett entries, A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, as good as the best Gabriel period stuff, but I still discount the Collins/MTV era Genesis as a pop band that abandoned their prog roots.

Charles McGarry

_________________________________

"And you kill what you fear, and you fear what you don't understand."

Thank you Bob for acknowledging a less known gem in Duchess. The Genesis "Clan" is a passionate yet understated one. When I was 13 my local FM Rocker 92 KQRS introduced me to Abacab, it marked the origin of my musical obsession. During that time my new passion quickly included the likes of The Police Ghost in the Machine and Rush Moving Pictures among others. My tastes, identity, and collection were rapidly expanding. Yes, that was a time when we aligned our personal brands with the music we were connected to! It was Abacab in all its glory that drove me to see them live...my second concert...the first being The Police. After that, owning 3 Sides Live was not an option! Thank you for giving them the the credit they deserve as a premiere live experience. The only omission I could find in your story was not highlighting how essential Phil Collins technical yet powerful percussion was to their very soul. Watching Phil and Chester Thompson (Weather Report) create magic together live is something that will live with me until the end of time.

Respectfully yours,

Paul Jackson

_________________________________

Such a perfect ode to the awesomeness of Genesis and the feeling of turning it up so loud and laying on the floor staring at the ceiling absorbing it all

Also, for the drama queens, please dont forget the tracks "Alone Tonight" a "Please Dont Ask", a bit literal and not as powerful as Dutchess, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Keep on keepin' on

Jill Goldhand

_________________________________

I've been reading and enjoying your newsletter for about 6 months now, but your piece on Genesis's "Duchess" really rang true.
I was also late to Genesis, became a fan in 1982, in the Phil Collins superstar era. Of course, I listen to way more early period Genesis now, but Duke was an early fave, particularly the transition from the opener, "Behind The Lines" into "Duchess".
About a month ago, I was hanging with an old friend, a much bigger fan, particularly of the Phil era. We were listening to "Duchess" and it hit me. It's Phil Collins autobiography, written 35 in the past! Starom, falling from grace, reminiscing about fame. Phil's had such a huge chip on his shoulder about his reputation and legacy.
I'm even more impressed with the song now!

Dave Arbiter
Queens, NY

_________________________________

I first fell for Genesis with Invisible Touch in 1986. I would have been 14 years old at the time and I'd bought it on cassette. After I made it through that album, I wanted more, and walked over to A&M Records near my grandparents' house in Scarborough, Ontario. I told the clerk that I wanted to hear more Genesis and wanted his advice on where to start. He told me to buy Trespass. Keep in mind that I didn't know yet that Peter Gabriel was a part of Genesis. And so, when I took it home and played it - I was obviously shocked to hear that there was someone else on vocals. I took it back to the store! Told him that this wasn't Genesis and I wanted a refund or to exchange it. He refused - told me to put it in my dresser drawer and come back to it in a couple of years, when I was ready. Brilliant advice. I still have that cassette because it's that memory that makes it special. I could say that that's the kind of thing that we're missing without record stores, but streaming service algorithm's are pretty close to your average record store clerk.

Daryl Faulkner

_________________________________

Knowing more than a bit about Genesis, I will firmly stand by the fact that
Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis did not dramatically turn the proggy Genesis
sound to instant pop.
"Trick Of The Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" are still Genesis records. What
really began the change in the bands sound was the departure of guitarist
Steve Hackett, who just sort of went missing during the mixing of the live
four sided "Seconds Out."

Phil did such a good job filling in for PG after auditioning 100's, even
manager Tony Stratton Smith remarked "he sounds more like Peter than Peter!"
that Genesis managed to still produce two records that left the fans feeling
a sense of relief. But after Steve Hackett left the band and they turned out
"And Then There Were Three . . ." there was trouble in the air and a new era
was in the making.
People just need to think about it when they insist that Peter Gabriel
leaving was the demise of the Genesis of "Foxtrot" and Selling England By
The Pound." It was the departure of Steve Hackett that the hit bound Genesis
started to morph.

Perry/Chicago

_________________________________

?Bob, so glad you brought attention to Duchess. I've been a huge Genesis fan for 40+ years and I think Duke is the pinnacle of the post-Gabriel era, and Duchess is the crown jewel of that album. As I've gotten older I relate to the lyrics more and more. I feel the emotion of Phil's vocals. On this album I think the two weakest cuts were the biggest hits; Misunderstanding and Turn It On Again. Songs like Alone Tonight, Guide Vocal and Heathaze always resonated with me more and you can really hear the type of music that ended up Phil Collins solo albums. Anyway, thanks for bringing some attention back to the album/band. BTW - I agree Squonk is the shits.

Bob Burnett

_________________________________

I was gob smacked that you wrote about what is possibly my favorite Genesis song. I pull this album out once every six months or so to let it wash over me - in particular Duchess - and then I put it away again so I "cry for more". It is the song with the beginning that sounds like the end, with lyrics that take you to the edge and leave you there pondering your own choices, making promises to yourself to live in the moment, and why what anyone thought ever really mattered.

Thanks for writing about a great old song.

Vicki Silver


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-TuneIn: http://tunein.com/lefsetz
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.