Tuesday 7 April 2020

Mailbag-Coronavirus & More

You probably saw but Hal Willner died from the virus.

I'd just seen Hal recently. Saw him in January and a couple months before I was on an Ernie Kovacs panel discussion w him. The guy was a huge source of knowledge about old school show biz. It's a big loss all around.

Chris Stein

______________________________________

Re: Neil Lasher

I knew Neil as a rock radio legend and then we worked together at Chrysalis and again at SBK records. I had the pleasure of calling him my friend and my teammate.
As our lives and our careers took separate paths we remained friends, but the thing that always impressed me about Neal was he took his own demons and turned them into a cause, a passion to help others and show other people how to go on living their life drug-free, alcohol free , and one day at a time.
"Bubby" we will miss you.

Greg Thompson.

______________________________________

Re: Neil Lasher

Neil's passing is a sad reminder that we all need to stick together.
Life is too short.
I loved his enthusiasm for life and his generous spirit.
He was a gem!

Buzz Knight

______________________________________

Re: Neil Lasher

When I say that I spoke to Neil practically every day of my life it's no understatement!! He'd call me on the way into the city and yell at every driver that blocked his route. I'd have to hold on during his yelling and screaming while pulling the phone from my ear.
I first met Neil when Daniel hired me at Chrysalis in 1988 during company meetings at the Sonoma Mission Inn.
Neil was sober less than a year and loved to give me shit. Everyone said give him a chance...."It's just Neil being Neil"
Well suffice to say our friendship ran very deep. He joined my synagogue and would break fast with my family for Yom Kippur always with Jill by his side.
I will miss our daily calls and the mensch that defines Neil Lasher.
Love you pal....Rest Easy!

Ken Lane

______________________________________

Re: Neil Lasher

So cool that you folks knew him recently. I knew Neil as "The DASHER" when he was at FM 105 WKLC in St Albans, WV in the early 80s. When he would do traffic reports, or he had a news item to talk about he would say "This is a flash from the Dash.."

He was one of the main reasons I went into radio. I even used is name and likeness as a character in a screenplay I wrote about radio...

Sorely missed in NYC AND in West Virginia

Larry Schockley

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Adam Schlesinger

Hey Bob...sad Dewey here. I (we) are shocked to hear about Adam's passing after we were led to believe he was rallying. He was a very bright talented guy which became immediately evident when we went into the studio with him, and James Iha, at the helm producing our 2007 album Here & Now. It includes Adam's song "Work To Do". We marveled at the song craftsmanship and great sounds on all those albums they did and the performances from Adam, Chris, Jody and Brian. We did another FOW song called "A Road Song" on our covers album "Back Pages". We insisted on doing some live show together too, and that was a trip! Welcome Interstate Managers is great as you state..."Bright Future In Sales", "Hackensack", "Mexican Wine" and on and on. Other faves like "Trains and Boats and Planes" and a great laugh will be had at first listen to "Richie and Ruben"! Anyway, we lost another good one and they were the best and I'm bummed. I'm gonna go listen to "Halley's Waitress". Stay well Bob. best, Dewey Bunnell

______________________________________

Re: Adam Schlesinger

I had the good luck to meet Adam while has owned a studio in New York with James Iha, Stratosphere Sound, on the lower west side. His talent was only matched by his brilliant personality. A tremendous loss for our world.

Joe D'Ambrosio

______________________________________

Re: Adam Schlesinger

Great tribute Bob. If you haven't checked them out before, listen to the band Tinted Windows. It was Adam on bass, James Iha (of Smashing Pumpkins) on guitar, Taylor Hanson on vocals, and Bun E. Carlos (of Cheap Trick) on drums. They released a really fun self-titled album in 2009!

Alex Speer

______________________________________

Re: Adam Schlesinger

Very sad indeed Bob, and you are right. Intelligence in Rock has been gone for some time now. Not sure why, since as long as you can dance to it worked for so long. And the actual Fountains of Wayne is also gone. They've just demolished the old building it had.
More recently it housed an electronics retailer so the plaster statues in the parking lot haven't been seen for years. They used to have a Xmas light show you could take kids to on the second floor and that was always fun even if you didn't celebrate the holiday. His use of such a relatively low-brow place certainly reflected his snarky at times take on things. RIP, this has been a bad year in music and for all of us.
Keep safe and well
Robert Heiblim

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

So you're cool with a $10,000(!!!!) ticket price? How are YOU planning on paying for this, Bob? Great concept, but as usual these days, the little guy gets assed (priced) out.

Doug Deutsch

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

April fucking Fools, right? I was pumped and bought hotel resies and a rental car in the Cabo area just now, was getting ready to buy flights when it occurred to me--crap it's April 1st!! Aaargh, I think the resies are refundable, but best to email a disclaimer now before a lot of people are out big bucks!

Young Hutchison

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

Where's the one we've been waiting for the LONGEST, that has maintained the BIGGEST worldwide audience without EVER setting foot on stageGGG Where's ABBA??

Barry Lyons / Rent A Label

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

I know David Lee Roth's voice hasn't aged well and I don't know how healthy Eddie is (my fingers are crossed that he is doing OK)... but it sure would be great to see the four original members of Van Halen together again... at least for one last "hoorah".

Even if Roth isn't at the top of his vocal game, Michael Anthony was always more than capable of filling in the (vocal) gaps for Van Halen.

I'd sure love to see the king of six strings playing live again.

Scott Hamilton

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

No Talking Heads :)?

David Bither

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

Thanks for the information. Are they not in light of what's going on and the devastation that likely we will be looking back on - make some proceeds go to a social impact cause. It's a big turn off for me if something of this scale at this time (even in 2021) doesn't incorporate proceeds to go to saving our planet for one? Having a million people get on a plane, burning down a stage, helping the cartels get rich ... who are we? Haven't we learned anything or maybe the powers that be are out of touch with the masses.

Fernanda Carapinha

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

What, no Kinks reunion?

Randy Cale
Hard Rock Tulsa

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

If you can wait about 10-15 years, Bill Graham will be promoting these acts in a subscription series at his Pearly Gates Pavilion.

Tom Rooney

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

seeing how old some of these performers will be it may be a good idea to have a cardiologist and urologist on site
Stay safe
Peace, Jason Miles

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

Why doesn't Paul add Dani Harrison to make it complete?
- John Bishoff

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

What about Steve Perry reuniting with Journey? Didn't you see that in your newsfeed?

John Hauser

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

You left out.......

Oasis with Liam and Noel- they agree to play at least five songs but will try for ten.

Taylor and Kayne- one night only.

Creed- playing Human Clay in full, gotta hit that red state rock market

The Smiths- if they agree not to do it, a cover band will be provided.

Black Flag- 20 minute set only with a mystery of who will be on vocals.

-Dan Rosenberg

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

uh... no

Brian Lukow

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

No thank you

Terri Williams

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

If the Grateful Dead aren't playing, I'm not going.

Michael Nadler

______________________________________

Re: Reunification Festival

The Reunification Concert should happen next April 1.

Richard Arfin

______________________________________

From: Peter Noone
Subject: Re: The Caramel Macchiato Bar

We were starving in England too, so once again your Mum was correct!
Food was rationed, and so were cigarettes and petrol. Our Mums told us children were starving in Africa and that we should eat our horrid root vegetables.
Apparently a sugar butty (white bread margarine and sugar was good ) and a conny onny butty (white bread and condensed milk) was why all those British Invaders in the 1960s were so thin and stinky.

______________________________________

From: Remy Zero
Subject: Re: Warner IPO

I left America in 2001, when my band, Remy Zero broke up, and, the music industry seemingly about to expire, and the proceeds from 'Smallville,' the tv series that bought our song as their theme song, I moved to Asia and became a music teacher ;)

I only came back to the USA to be a caregiver for a family member but I looked deeply into the surprisingly still extant Music Industry....

Shockingly, it still exists- in a way- but only for aspiring Super-Stars.... There's No room for strange underground, unusual uncommercial music, as there previously WAS, to swirl around on the coat-tails of the Top 10 ; the ONLY way forward now is to push things like a manic 20-year old would - like we did - but after years of records and touring we`re just too damn tired .....

Far from 'burgeoning', the industry now seems only calculated for a few aspiring rap-stars and hot sexy lasses - whom I ADORE - don`t get me wrong - but Nothing else seems to have a chance... Unless there are some nascent band members running wildly amongst their pals, demanding, 'LISTEN! LISTEN !!!', you better have a REAL job ;)

I really love indie underground experimental stuff, and it seems there's no living to be had for those poor kids, even the best ones.....

We were maybe caught between the continents when the Industry-Earthquake happened, and maybe that's just too bad for us and all ( thank God for bad tv! ), and maybe at this point, I`m a muttering old Coot, but 'burgeoning it Definitely is not - at least from where I am listening....(Nashville )

Remy Zero

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Ignorance Is Bliss

Just saying thanks. I'm so grateful you're saying what you're saying. I tour with a band called The Mavericks. I see multiple parts of 48 states in the US every year. The view from the tour bus window
is very different than the view from a DNC staffer's office. They don't understand. They don't know it. They don't see it. And it's going to pull them under. Hope someone is listening to you...

Best,
Max Abrams

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Silos
I believe a company could make more money, and move way more units, selling glossy prints of album covers than the albums themselves. I don't mean this sarcastically.

Craig Anderton

______________________________________

From: Amy Holdorf
Subject: RE: Reaction

Wow, the crackpots are out in full force today. I have a Ph.D. in Immunology. Per Jeremy Backofen, the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) was invented by Kary Mullis who won the Nobel Prize in 1993 and died in 2019. The "RT" in RT-PCR is reverse transcriptase, an enzyme discovered by the 1975 Nobel Laureate David Baltimore, the former president of Caltech who retired as president in 2006, but is still very active in research as 82-years-young. He certainly is not making statements doubting the work on COVID-19 testing. Someone has been spending too much time on the conspiracy theory message boards.

Per the "not a conspiracy" dude, there is no evidence that SARS-CoV2 is man-made. Here is a peer-reviewed article about it in one of the top medical journals in the world. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9. Non-technical summary. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

Further, thousands of otherwise healthy people are succumbing to this virus.

I hate it when people don't listen to science. As national hero Dr. Anthony Fauci said, "We don't operate on how you feel. We operate on what evidence is, and data is." There is no evidence for what either of these whack-jobs are spouting.

Keep the faith, Bob. Peace!

Amy D. Holdorf, Ph.D.
Worcester, MA

______________________________________

From: Scarlett Rabe
Subject: Re: Reaction

I was raised in and escaped a far right religious cult. Nobody on the left understands what's really going on, how deeply the GOP have trained their cult to despise truth. You're spot on, and I have no idea how we will ever deprogram the indoctrination. Every line of code has to be cleaned and re-written. I left my family, have no contact with them, we aren't family anymore. But, just like how they believed Sandy Hook victims to be "crisis actors", they believe this virus is all a hoax. Science doesn't care if you believe in it. I hope they get Covid. I hope their prayers don't work. I know I'm a horrible person to hope it, but I'm just SO TIRED of the backlash and attacks I get every time I say anything.

______________________________________

From: Aaron Henderson
Subject: Re: Reaction

So hilarious how all the Repubs are telling you to stop focusing on the negative things of this virus outbreak when all they did during Obama's 8 years was bitch, cry, and moan about how everything sucked and America was going backwards! Now we're supposed to just ignore the negative? Fuck these hypocritical dumbasses, I'd be happy to debate any one of these dumbasses since I have all this time on my hands.

Aaron Henderson

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Reaction

Bob…Those of us that understand we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and that our rights supersede Government and are granted from GOD will NEVER let you godless, soulless, authoritarian, unhinged assholes rule us. 600 Million guns ( WAY MORE THAN YOU KNOW) and 2 trillion rounds in our hands will ensure this. We are going to need to separate, leaving you idiots in your own urban city states to rule yourselves, stripped of all voting rights that affect the rest of the country. We MAY let you do that after this collapse….IF YOU ARE LUCKY. However, many of us want you and your entire poisonous ideology destroyed and we have the power to do it, INSTANTLY. Oh, yea and most of the cops and virtually ALL the trigger pulling Military are on our side. You don't even understand what you are ignorant about that you don't know about real grass roots Americans outstide the communist, globalist enclaves on the coasts and in Colorado. You just don't. And, you have ZERO means to stop us should we decide we no longer give you authority over anything. That day is ALMOST at hand. If you're lucky, your old, frail, deranged, ignorant, cowardly, fragile, communist, ass will get to see everything you hold dear crumble before you!!

This has nothing to do with Trump! He's a bafoon and done NOTHING we sent him to do in DC thus becoming part of the very "swamp) he swore to drain. It's the entire Globalist establishment elite and they are almost all on the same team! Certainly NOT on mine. Fuck them all! Their heads will be removed at the end of this 4th turning I'd predict as well. I wish you a long life Bob. Seriously.

Sean Mormelo

______________________________________

From Stephanie Zill
Re: Reaction

It's interesting to observe that the missives on the right-hand side of the 'aisle' are 100% from men.

Cross the 'aisle' to the second half of your email and you start to see some women's names.

Having ready your emails for many years, I don't believe you vet the responses for gender.

So - why am I not surprised?

______________________________________

Subject: Thanks

I'm recently retired from my medical career as an anesthesiologist ( Medicine was always a side hustle for me)
Yesterday I found out that two of my former co workers have Coronavirus. One of them may be placed in the ICU.
And of course I want to get back on the front lines.

Your April 1 email was what I needed. I was cracking up.

Jonathan Schneider

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Internet Ignorance

Hey Bob,

I'm glad to hear your message... Most everyone knows I never liked Trump, When I use to work for SBK Records and go to New York back in the 80's. I never much cared about trump. Yea I would listen to the Howard Stern radio interviews, and thought what in hell is he doing this for? I could think of a 1000 things that made more sense to me. But maybe that because I was use to seeing Charles Koppeklman, and Daniel Glass handing business. Or Bill Gates in a night club at 2am by himself, where I bought him a coke and we talked about him really liking Techo music and me sharing that I was working a group called Tecehnotronic and a song called "Pump up the jam" . And yes he knew it.. I gotta admit I was kind of impressed. This was before he was married of course or I would also see Craig McCaw just doing normal things around Seattle. Like shopping at the Eddy Bauer store or at Starbucks.. Even though he had just sold his phone company to AT&T for 11.5 Billion. Those were business men i looked up to. They were the kind of guys who were making news and doing things with out being dicks. Not full blown ego's like how trump came across. When the apprentice was on TV, I also thought... wow this is so bad it was kind of a train wreck.. Meatloaf, Downtown Julie Brown? who gives a flying about them?? But Some people did I guess. but I have never watched one episode of dancing with the Stars. Trump, cant be taken seriously, look at the damage he has caused by this delay.. I hope this nightmare comes to and end soon. We can't take much more of this mismanagement.

But the reason I'm writing you that I agree the wearing of something over your face should become the message that we share as we can't count on the White House to do the right thing. you got Stephen Curry holding a Q&A with De Fauci, try and get the message to the American people because these daily press briefing with trump are all bullshit. I really think he's only doing them to stay out in front of people that he can't have his little hate rallies. Anyone who has been paying attention can see that he did not have any until weeks of down playing the virus. So Yea.... We should be wearing MASKS! it's way better to have something over your face then noting... Not N95 makes but anything!! So I just wanted to thank you for addressing this. We should never forget that their incompetence and using their Fox and Friends and Rush Limbaugh, & Lou Dobbs to spread very wrong messaging, The lack of attention to this pandemic has been near criminal!

Take care and be safe.

Frank Higginbotham

______________________________________

From: SILVER HAMMER LTD
Subject: Re: Internet Ignorance

Bob,

No worries, the New York Times - Best Sellers are available on Torrent sites everyday, fiction and non fiction. For free. Good Reads top 20 also. As usual the publishers are too blind and greedy so the authors get screwed. Daniel Ek should start a virtual book store next.

Thanks Yale Bloor

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Internet Ignorance

Publishers may still be in the dark ages…. My wife has her debut book due out later this year with a major house but found out last week that they have canceled her audio book. They know audio is a money maker for them because they wouldn't give her the contract without the audio rights. Someone higher up the food chain pulled the plug on audio books for a significant number of authors without even telling their editors. When the printed advance reader copies are rumored to be stuck in a quarantined New York office building, killing a digital product seems to be a prime example of thinking under the old school model.

Glenn Osborne

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Internet Ignorance

Hi Bob,

This is just like the indie radio consultants and small radio stations. Labels are paying independent contractors (indies) who in turn pay mom-and-pop radio stations (aka a payola loophole) to play a song. This keeps the small station's lights on and also costs labels millions of dollars per year just to have a shot at a radio hit. The truth is, these smaller stations are way past their prime. It's as if the movie industry was paying Blockbuster's bill to stay open... When something is outdated or doesn't change with the times, it should be on to the next. Instead, labels foot the bill to get shitty overnight spins (the radio chart is another problem), while the indies gets rich, whether the song is a hit or not. It's a crooked system especially when you look at international markets who not only don't have indies, but also where labels get paid by radio stations to use their product on the air.

Would love for you to do a piece on this backwards system.

Please don't post or use my information. Don't want the indie mob coming after me.

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Masks

Fuck, Alan Merrill too!

I saw him play with The Left Banke at Le Poisson Rouge in 2015 with George Cameron, Sam Kogon and Ian Lloyd of Stories. It was right after Michael Brown died and it was a memorial concert for him. Great show, Alan was so good I bought a bunch of his solo CD from his website. I am a fan of his mom, jazz singer, Helen Merrill, who live and performs in Japan.

Very sad new,

Jeff Capshew

______________________________________

Subject: RE: Alan Merrill

Hi Bob:?Re your mention of the death of Alan Merrill in your email newsletter earlier:
Just to let you know, Alan Merrill wrote "I Love Rock n Roll" alone despite the credit reading co-writer (a business partnership courtesy extended to all songs written under the moniker of The Arrows). He told me several times how he wrote it late one night, while living in London, by the light of a candle and whispering into a tape recorder so as not to wake his girlfriend. Mickey Most, head of RAK Records - the label to which Alan's band The Arrows were signed - was goading them to write a hit and Alan thought he'd create a cheeky response to the Rolling Stones' "It's Only Rock 'n Roll," which to his mind cheapened the impact of this musical genre. "ILRnR" was originally earmarked for the B side of The Arrows' next single but Most's wife thought it was a hit and persuaded Mickey to flip the order. The song became a UK chart hit for The Arrows and led to the band getting their own half hour weekly live audience music performance TV show, replacing the Bay City Rollers' programme and which ran for 2 seasons. The Arrows performed "ILRnR" a few times on the broadcast, which is where Joan Jett (in England on tour with The Runaways) hear the song and eventually decided to record her cover version. Today, "I Love Rock n Roll" is one of the most covered rock songs with a website devoted to showcasing dozens of versions in several musical styles (including Weird Al Yankovic's "I Love Rocky Road") by artists from around the world, and remains an international rock anthem instantly recognized by the first two notes. Although perhaps his most famous song, it is by no means the only great song Alan wrote that was successfully recorded by other artists. Over the last several years, Alan continued tecording and teleasing solo albums, and performing quite regularly around NYC doing both solo acoustic sets and shows with his Alan Merrill Extravaganza trio (with Amy Madden on bass and Mark Brodder on drums) and frequent tours back to Japan (where he had been a teen idol as well as co-founder of that country's first glam rock group Vodka Collins) and England. At the time of his death, Alan had just completed recording a new solo album which was slated for release mid-April, and was putting finishing touches on his long awaited autobiography. Alan Merrill was a super talented singer, songwriter and guitarist, but most of all he was a most beloved friend to so many whose lives, hearts and souls he touched. He left an indelible mark on the world and helped make it a better place. He will be sorely missed by all who loved him.?Ida Langsam.

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Tom Odell

Bob,
I was Tom Odell's professor at the music college he attended in Brighton England about 10 years ago.
Very talented kid but with a chip on his shoulder... for a bunch of reasons, starting with the fact that he was not accepted at England's most prestigious performing arts college, The Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts
( LIPA) and had to attend a lesser version in Brighton. I spent many conversations telling him that none of that mattered.. he had the talent... now he needed to find the will. Thankfully I think he did.

Susan L. Dodes

______________________________________

From: Corinna Crabtree

Hi Bob,

Writing from the UK here - I agree about Tom Odell, but not so much about the state of British pop music! Tom Odell was a fantastic song and one of the few that actually gave me goosebumps when I first heard it! Despite what you say, here in the UK it didn't reach that ubiquitous "classic song" territory that it deserved. I remember frustratingly sitting back watching this song not get the attention it deserved. Back in 2012 (millennials like me) were obsessed with EDM music, which sidelined the singer songwriter world (being one of those as well, it was annoying to see).

Fast forward a few years and the singer songwriter is king again. You mentioned the likes of Lewis Capaldi, for example. There is also a great old school BRIT pop with a slight Bruce Springsteen edge called Sam Fender who has hit the scene and he's doing tremendously well!

Unfortunately, to the outside world it looks like the UK is still pioneering great acts, but take it as a musician who is close to "the scene", there are far too many acts that are all about attention seeking imagery or political statements, but lack musical substance. It's all about electronic productions with no melodies or worse - an ever growing saturated market of British hip hop (not a fan). The art of songwriting seems to fall second to all these Androgynous looking snowflakes that do not seem to have a knack for writing killer melodies or are too afraid to show vulnerability in the quest for looking cool. It is therefore no wonder that we have seen a surge of love for country music in the UK, which is one of the few genres where you can find melody and story telling. I'm a lover of good pop and rock music - if you're prepared to devour the playlists, you discover some great acts. But in the interim, like you say we no longer live in a monoculture. Maybe in the absence of a world war, the result of this pandemic will spark a cultural revolution akin to the 1960s, we can only hope that some good will come of this.

Perhaps you may like this and don't forget to read the description about the song's story in YouTube description section : https://youtu.be/x563WKZCn4U

Take care,

Corinna

______________________________________

From: Owen Sloane
Subject: Kenny Rogers

I was Kenny's lawyer during his most successful times. I am very saddened by his passing. He was a wonderful stand up guy. Once I mentioned to him that there were other artists in his position who were taking a publishing interest in the songs they recorded even if they had nothing to do with the writing of the song. He said he was aware of that but that he would never do that to any songwriter. If they gave him a hit song they had every right to and deserved to own all of it and reap the rewards. That's the kind of guy Kenny was.
May he rest in peace.

______________________________________

Subject: Re: News Update-Day 7

Hiya Bob ~

On the abortion sentence alone i could write forever.
Bravo.
I was a director/counselor of a full service women's health center for 20 years, full service of course means abortions amongst a full range of women's healthcare.
We were on the front lines during the Birmingham bombing and 1996 Olympic bombings.
We had protestors every day, not just days we provided abortion care.
Ironically, we served families/women who wanted to be pregnant through our donor insemination program yet the protesters would yell at and shame everyone.
It was difficult, until folks got inside and could access the care they wanted.
I headed up the fetal anomaly program, the worst of times for families diagnosed with a fatal anomaly...having to pass the gauntlet of horrible signs and crazed people shouting at them.
I can tell you (corroborate with you!) the number of moms/dads/grandparents dragging their daughters/granddaughters into the health center even though they "didn't believe in abortion" was staggering, for the whole 20 years.
Some sitting smugly with their bibles on their laps.

Robin Gelberg

______________________________________

Subject: Re: Today's Rarities-The Silencers

Hi Bob,

So proud to be mentioned in the same letter as 10CC.

Saw them in Glasgow way back, they even did a live fade out of I'm Mandy Fly Me, amazing band.

Blue Desire recorded in Castlesound Studios, Pencaitland just outside of Edinburgh. The Blue Nile gave us their booked studio time so we could record there.

Great times, great song.

Big thanks
Martin Hanlin

______________________________________

From: Arny Schorr
Subject: RE: Today's Rarities

Thanks for remembering/recognizing Charlie...I was at Janus Records when they came out, we put a push behind them but as you pointed out, we didn't have the cash behind us to break them and shortly after Lines was released, GRT /Janus went into Chapter 7 (long, interesting story).

Fun fact, the girl on the cover was a model known as Flower who is now married to Haim Saban. There's more to the story but we got a lot of coverage on the release be cause of her.

______________________________________

From: Steve Lukather

From: lukedaddy
Subject: Re: Rain Songs-SiriusXM This Week

"The most well-known take on "State of Independence" is on Donna Summer's 1982 LP, her first for Geffen, produced by Quincy Jones. An album produced by Giorgio Moroder was shelved, and this was made in its place, and it wasn't really successful, even though all these years later it resonates, even though Donna Summer is dead, my how time flies. The "hit" on the album is "Love Is In Control (Finger on the Trigger)," which wears its age pretty well, but the killer was always track number three, "The Woman In Me," talk about smoky and sexy..."


I played on the whole album and co write song as well. It was great fun. Worked on Jon Anderson's record as well. Really fun sessions !

I LOVE ' Yer Album !
Better? Remember it was made in '69. They were ahead of their time!
Anything Walsh and I am IN. I got stoned for the first time ever at 14 years old listening to The Bomber. I cut a version of it on my 2nd solo record on "93.

Luke

______________________________________

From: Joe Raasch
Subject: Re: Babka!

The delivery came today, right before I arrived home from work.

THAT BABKA IS SO GOOD that my wife and I aren't sharing it with our daughter. I've never had anything like it and my dad was a baker by profession!

Thanks again for the pro tip!

Joe

______________________________________

From: John Green
Subject: Re: Tonight's Debate

Man your fucking nuts your another spam man. Watch out bro they'll burn your house down too. It's coming and Bernies blood will be in the streets you just wait. He'll get his 45 right between the eyes. Just watch bob dog

______________________________________

From: Allen Hare
Subject: Re: American Factory

I am a thirty-plus year trucker, and a proud member of Local 745 of the International Brotherhood Of Teamsters, here in Dallas, TX.
It hurts to see some of my Teamster brothers not truly appreciate what we have. They take it for granted, not realizing how easily it could all be taken away. I know many of them are right wingers, and voted for Trump.
We must continue to educate, organize, and vote.
Thanks for helping to spread the word.

______________________________________

Subject: Re: The Debate

Spot on, Bob.

I'm a 50-something white woman, who after years in the music and entertainment business made a right turn and now I am a daily money manager handling the lives and affairs of seniors. I'm the only person in my world who is a big Bernie Sanders supporter, but for me, Bernie's healthcare plan is the only plan that makes sense to me. Here's why.

I have become an expert in the healthcare world. Most of my clients are affluent and they can all well afford the best healthcare on the world. The truth is for the most part, Medicare works really well for them. Sure they pay out of pocket from time to time for doctors that do not accept Medicare, but they are not paying a fortune in premiums.

For my clients who are not of retirement age, I deal with insurance companies all day long...in fact I fight with insurance companies nearly every single day, it is maddening...some days the issue is the utter incompetence of the claims people at the insurance carriers, but there are moments when I really think the denials of claims are intentionally designed by management, hoping that you will grow weary and give up fighting for your reimbursements. I am sure many people do because the time suck and frustration is enough to make you sick. This is why my clients pay me to handle it. I never give up, but what it takes to get what is rightfully yours from these insurance companies is such a colossal waste of time and effort. There is no good one...they are all different shades of horrible.

Bernie Sanders is the only candidate that speaks with any intelligence on the healthcare issue...No one really and truly loves their healthcare plan. Oh yeah a few will say they do, but they do not understand just how much they are overpaying for what they think is a good plan but in reality is crap.

Here's an example for New York

$1,100 premium from a large carrier for a plan with a $1,500 in network deductible and a $6,000 out of network deductible that is really $6,000 of "allowable amounts" so figure more like $9,500 deductible and then after you meet said deductible the coverage of 80% of again an allowable amount, plus a copay, you are looking at a therapist charge of $500 and a reimbursement of roughly $250. When you do the math you have to shell out over $25,000/year + just to start getting back what amounts to 60% of your out of network charges.

If we do any less than Medicare For All, we are sunk. Why? Because we have to take the insurance companies out of the equation completely in order to transform our healthcare system...they must be killed off. They are no good and their corporate agenda is to pay as little as possible!
Also, we need everyone to pay into a Medicare For All system to fund it...there is no half way here.

I'll actively support anyone who gets the eventual nomination, but Bernie is my guy. Thank you for writing what you do. I like to know I am not alone in my age group.

Julie Levine

______________________________________

From: Paul Brownstein
Subject: Re: Ask Again, Yes

Leaving another Stephen King book on a plane - it was too big for my bag - turned me over to the dark side - reading and preferring ebooks and digital magazines.

As a kid, the Queens Borough Public Library was my own Happiest Place on Earth. It has been decades since I even entered a public library, but my last trip was both pleasant and profitable because I got a new library card.

I am once again a proud member of the New York Public Library and now the LA Public Library too, after discovering our libraries are now digital. They have a deep collection of ebooks - I just borrowed and read HOWARD Stern's latest book.

They also lend magazines, including BILLBOARD and ROLLING STONE, and even THE NEW YORK TIMES.

Best of all, there's no late fees or Library Policeman.

Charging more for a physical book than an ebook is like the DVD label that tried to take a deduction for returns and shipping on digital download royalties.

Publishers really are the record companies of the21st century.

Paul Brownstein

______________________________________

From: Dan Navarro
Subject: Re: (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again

I ignored the song in the movie. Didn't know it was new, just thought it
was 80s stuff, maybe a Thom Bell outtake. Didn?t do my homework.

So tonight I checked out the Purple Disco Machine remix after reading you, then heard the original record.

Yeah, the original is not bad but it's not great. Stock Philly Soul with
an extra layer or two of sheen. Slick, by the numbers. And Elton sings it
clean. I mean, he's Elton, he's great, even though admittedly past his
prime. Him singing it clean, I thought, OK, fine, but so what?

But the remix? It grabbed me instantly, a sucker punch in the solar
plexus. The opening guitar licks, clean and undistorted but old OLD school funky, right out in the open, greezy, not hidden in sheen. Then the bass, fat as fat can be. I am tapping along and I?m only ten seconds in, before a note has been sung. It?s the space in the arrangement that caught me. Not overloaded, not slick. Tight, fat, and spare like every instrument
mattered. Like records used to sound.

Then Elton's vocal came in, and holy crap. That rasp in Elton's voice
knocked me out immediately. It sounded like he cares, like he means every word, like they actually matter. Fuck, I wish he sang like that all the
time.

Philly with a hefty dose of Muscle Shoals. I mean, I heard Spooner Oldham
was in the Oscar band, so it ain't an accident. But Elton sang it clean on
the broadcast, and the arrangement on the Oscars was a less ornate version of the original record. So it was OK, happy for his Oscar. Nice, I
suppose, but not not THIS. (Also looked like Inara George and Brian Ray in
the band).

So thanks for the tip. That remix is the best Elton I have heard in decades.
Full stop.

______________________________________

Subject: I agree and furthermore...

Hi Bob
I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I'm a songwriter and I've written for many of the past inductees…Kiss, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Heart, and most especially, Pat Benatar. I wrote "Love Is A Battlefield" and "Invincible." I cannot tell you how disgraceful it is that Pat Benatar is not getting inducted. What an utter load of crap and disrespect. While the RRHOF might be concerned about being politically correct and diversifying to the point that the word "rock;' in the name of the organization has pretty much disappeared, why not be " adventurous" - if they had to induct Whitney, why not induct two women in one year.." But no, that would never happen because nothing in this man cave has changed. ..it's still the same misogynist and myopic voters that it's always been.

Every single woman I've ever written for lists Pat as one of their biggesti nspirations. Not only was she groundbreaking then, she still is - who has ever dethroned her?…Why else do you think Avril Lavigne and Lzzy Hale even became singers? At least Heart and Joan Jett made it into the RRHOF in past years…but that shouldn't have precluded future inductions of female rock artists from getting in. It shouldn't be like,"okay we've filled our quota of female rock artists."

And while I'm on the subject- how insane is it that Tina Turner is not in the RRHOF as a solo artist, a true legend and rock n roll treasure???.…Yeah, yeah, she's in it with Ike Turner, ( everyone knows how he beat the living daylights out of her, yet he's been honored for his contribution). Not only did she survive after him, she flourished and became one of the most beloved and biggest rock artists of all time! I've written nine songs for her, including "The Best" and "Better Be Good To Me" and I dare anyone to dispute her impact on rock n roll. her courage... She's as bad ass and talented as it gets. But she's not in the hall…. Idol like someone to explain that one.

Todd Rundgren. If it weren't for him, who knows where I would've ended up . A great , unique artist and songwriter that influenced sooo many other artists that followed— like me…and he got passed over.

WHAT AN UTTER DISGRACE.
Holly Knight

______________________________________

From: Dave Curtis
Subject: Re: Re-Whitney/Rock Hall

Pavarotti had some great pipes.

______________________________________

Subject: RE: Mailbag-Zabar's+

Hi Bob,

I know I am late to this, but could not resist commenting on the Zabar's piece since the Carnegie Deli was mentioned. Note my last name. I am one of the late Milton Parker's nephews (there were 3 Parker brothers) and we were a close nit family growing up. Milton and Leo Steiner were partners in a small restaurant on Long Island in the mid 70s. Then purchased they Carnegie. Leo was the front man bringing in the celebrities and was the main greeter. Uncle Milton was behind the counter, handle the food, recipes and back office operations. Sadly Leo past away in 1987 and uncle Milton wound up with 'the whole thing.' What many people don't know was they had (and Marion still has) a warehouse operation where most of the meats were prepared, the bakery, etc. And more amazing was that warehouse supplied many, if not most, of the Jewish deli's in Manhattan and other boroughs with their pastrami and corned beef. But uncle Milton said that the great taste is all in the absolute correct slicing of the pastrami and corned beef. The French fries he made used the Nathan's "recipe" - boil the potatoes first and then flash fry them in boiling oil at a temperature as hot as you can get it but at least 500 degrees! The bakery used a tremendous amount of butter in all their products especially the rugalach and cheese cakes. Fun fact: When Woody Allen started filming for Broadway Danny Rose, he needed a counter man behind the glass. My uncle was dying to get in the film. But Woody said he didn't look the part!

Best,
David E. Parker

______________________________________

Subject: The story of how "Black Water" became the Doobie Brothers first #1 and first gold single

I was the local promotion guy in Virginia in 1974-75 (actually a triple bagger doing WB-Atlantic and Elektra all simultaneously).

The story of how "Black Water" became the Doobies' first #1 and first gold single:

We were working "Nobody" from the Doobie Bros. self titled debut album. WROV, the main (maybe only) Top 40 station in Roanoke, VA, was one of the few Top 40 stations that also played some album cuts at night. Chuck Holloway, WROV MD, put "Black Water" from the album "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" into the nighttime album cut rotation, and the listeners in Roanoke reacted to it. The station was getting calls, and the main record store in town (I think it was Discount Records?) was getting calls for "Black Water" and when told it was only available on an album, people were buying the album. The reaction was strong enough that WROV put "Black Water" on their Top 40 list. I made my promo bosses at WB (Gary Davis with Don McGregor and David Urso) aware of this and was reminded that "Nobody" was the priority. As "Black Water" continued to react positively from listeners, WROV started moving this album cut up their Top 40 singles playlist. I continued to inform WB of the progress of "Black Water" and was continuously reminded that "Nobody" was the priority. As Blackwater continued to move up WROV's playlist, it hit Top 10, where it remained for a number of weeks, eventually hitting #1 for what I recall as being maybe 4 weeks in the top spot. As I continued to let WB know what was happening with it, at some point, I was finally told to keep them posted on it's progress, as I had been doing all along anyway. With "Nobody" not performing as hoped for, and with the success of "Black Water" at WROV, somewhere along the way, Gary, Don, and David went to Buzz Bennett, a then very influential Top 40 PD (who was at that time, as far as I remember, in Minneapolis), and told him about the WROV story, and asked him if he would support it if WB released "Black Water" as a single. With Buzz's commitment to add "Black Water", WB decided to finally release it as a single …. and the rest of the story is Top 40 chart history, with "Black Water" becoming the Doobie Brothers first gold single and first #1 single.
-------
Bob, Not sure if you had ever heard the true, full, real story of Black Water becoming a hit, and in case you hadn't, and since you love the Doobies, I thought you'd enjoy it.

Al Moss

P.S. Yes, it was "Nobody". Somebody at WB evidently always felt that "Nobody" was a hit song, as you do, so they released as a single a couple of different times, possibly even three times (not sure about that part). It never became a hit.

I don't recall the timing of the release of "Nobody" at that particular time. It MIGHT have been put out as a single, before the "...Vices..." album came out, i.e., between albums, and then since it wasn't happening, and all of a sudden the story was developing in Roanoke on "Blackwater," they switched over to that. Or possibly, maybe they didn't think they had a hit on "Vices" so they decided to go back to "Nobody" and try it again. The thinking and decisions leading up to that, I'm not sure of since I was a local promo guy, and those decisions were made in Burbank. But that was the way the story went. Pretty sure I have promo 45's of both Blackwater and Nobody somewhere ... in some box.

So glad to see the Doobies going into the R&RHoF finally. Very deserving and overdue. Now if only Doug Sahm can get in someday ... and a few other missing figures.

I love your passion for the music, Bob. Passion is what's kept me going in this crazy business for 46 years ... to the day actually. I started on April 1, 1974.

______________________________________

Re: Magazines Are Toast

Bob I agree the music mags have lost their weight credibility wise. I remember playing with Jagger In I think 2001 when the record Goddess In The Doorway came out. I LOVE Mick but to me the record was good not great.

Back then I had several writer friends at Rolling Stone and when the 5 Star review came out I thought hmm. I called one of my writer friends there and when I got cheeky about it that person told me that the boss said to the staff I Think This Is A 5 Star Record So Who Wants To do the Review. It was Jagger so many hands went up. A writer then wrote the review and gave it 3 stars and that review was scrubbed. So you get where I'm going with this.

So yes most mags have lost their weight EXCEPT for this month's issue of Rolling Stone Japan...Cuz I'm on the cover.....

Stevie Salas

P.S. Sure it's on the record it's a true story I just don't wanna say the writers name who told me but he is legit. No offense to Jagger either who I respect deeply.as for why I'm on the cover or RS....

During the 90s for some reason when i was on island records I was loved and sold records and tickets in Japan and Europe. I was treated well in the States by the press always but I was caught up in that Island/A&M mega deal with Polygram so Warner distro was losing my record and Polygram couldn't touch it for 6 months so I was lost in distribution hell while on a sold out tour opening for Joe Satriani in 1990. Things never recovered for me in the US as a solo artist but everywhere else I was kicking ass with Morty Wiggins and Bill Graham Presents as my managers. There was no internet then so people couldn't figure out why I had a lot of money but those countries moved units and concert tickets. I also would work with superstars and up and comers as a guitar player or Writer/Producer during all those years but Japan never left me as an artist.

A couple of years ago I started a project for fun called Inaba Salas with a Japanese pal of 30 years who had I had worked with on and off ( and who happens to be be biggest selling artist in Japanese history selling over 100 million records). Well we do these cool records for fun that mix old school late 80s funk pop and maybe a little bit of The Clash all sung in Japanese....All for fun BUT the last record In 2017 was almost platinum and this new one coming out next week is shipping Gold (they still sell CDs in Japan and for like 38 bucks each so the payments are no joke). We tour and sell a lot of tickets.

We just postponed our Japan tour starting April 25th and we had sold over 80 thousand tickets in about 5 minutes...I shit you not. I get to hire what ever players we want and most are my friends. The last tour had Stuart Zender from Jamiriquoi on Bass, Amp Fiddler from Funkadelic on Keys and Matt Sherrod from Crowded House and Beck on Drums. It's actually super fun and super challenging cuz we really play.

So a few weeks ago we shot the cover of Rolling Stone as well as several others and people are super excited about the release of new record. That's why I am on the cover of Rolling Stone. I always thought I would be on the cover in the States 20 years ago but now I actually appreciate it where when I was young I would have expected it and not took a minute to have a laugh.
It's a big world and it came through for me as an artist when America didn't.


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: https://ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.