Tuesday 26 May 2020

Re-Moon Martin

i've spent the last 18 years of my life working for and with Moon Martin, and I just wanted to thank you for the article that you wrote about him, it was beautiful and awesome all at once.

Everything you said was wonderful, but if you'd allow me to correct one tiny detail, I think you would appreciate it...

He would never have considered himself a level above you, if anything he would've put you on the pedestal.

Had he known that you had any desire to speak with him, he would have changed seats to have a conversation with you, especially if it was about music.

He was without a doubt the most humble man I've ever met...His generosity was unparalleled, of the thousands of car rides we took together over the last two decades running errands and picking up gear, he would not let me drive past a homeless person without sticking 10 bucks in their hand. Not once. He could not live with himself if he thought that a person might go hungry and it was within his power to prevent it.

Wikipedia had it wrong, he was born in 1945 but he either fibbed about his age in the media.... or it could've been a typo. He never seemed like the type of man who would care about that sort of thing.

He loved music so much, no matter where we were there was music playing if we were in the car he would turn on the radio, when we would sit at the burger joint eating french fries, he would listen to whatever music was playing over the speaker system (usually something new and contemporary or pop) and break down the elements of the song with me at the table, debating the different choices that the musicians made in their songs.

He was a mentor to me and I loved him like an uncle.

He was 74 years old, and he had become a little frail over the last few years...He went to sleep in a big easy chair in his living room with a book in his hand, a blanket in his lap, and a little glass of Coke on the nightstand next to him. He left this world as peacefully as anybody could ever hope to.

We were unable to get his obituary published in the LA Times until this past Sunday and Monday, there were huge difficulties getting the death certificate completed during Covid and the government shut down so it took forever, as no newspaper these days is willing to publish obituaries without some hard evidence.

You were right, Bob, he never let go, he never left the circus and he was in it literally until the day that he died.

He spent that day in the recording studio working his butt off on a new album, believe it or not.

A tiny handful of us who were close to him are working diligently to finish it for him now.... we don't know if he completed recording all of his vocals but we will figure it out over the next couple of weeks.

I'm on my way to listen to the first Finished mix right now... and I'm going to have to pull over for a minute to recompose myself.

Thank you again For your awesome article Bob, if there's anything you ever want to know about Moon Martin please don't hesitate to ask, if I don't know the answer to the question I'll put you in touch with somebody who does.

Sean Householder

____________________________________

Very sorry to hear that Moon Martin has died. He was an original player, marching to his own drummer, and yet still able to fit in - you might say he played well with others. At Linda Ronstadt's suggestion, I hired him to be in her band for one Troubadour gig in 1971. The rest of the band consisted of Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Michael Bowden (on bass), Byron Berline on occasional fiddle, and me on occasional acoustic guitar or Wurlitzer electric piano. I recorded three or four sets for a possible live album, using the old Wally Heider truck, but nothing came of it. We did release one track - a version of "Rescue Me," and it shows Moon's uncanny ability to add something fresh while still fitting in. He takes a very rock and roll approach to an R and B song and it works great. It's on Spotify somewhere and you should check out his guitar part, which is on the left channel. I had not seen Moon for a long time, but I will miss him.

Best,
John Boylan

____________________________________

I got in a bit of a pickle a couple of weeks back when I posted on my Twitter and FB and Insta that Moon Martin had sadly died. This was on May 12. Moon had died on May 11, possibly from lung cancer, and although I didn't really know him personally, I heard about it from a private source. It wasn't on Wiki, it wasn't online (for several days). Mutual friends and extremely close colleagues of Moon's, either in the studio or from one of his former bands, didn't know about it. They were of course gutted. The news went on Wiki (May 13) then it was temporarily withdrawn. It was several days before it became conclusive and even at that point, the details were scant. Such was Moon's 'obscurity'. These days, when almost any musician checks out, the story is on the street within minutes. But for Moon Martin it took around 72 hours, which is rare. Moon's reported date of birth is also subject to misinformation but never mind, old is good, and he wrote at least three stone classics and as you suggest, he was the real deal. I bought all of his records but saw him perform live only once, at London's Marquee club in 1979. The joint was rocking.

Will Birch

____________________________________

Your tribute to Moon brought tears to my eyes like the news of his passing did. I worked with him and his devoted manager Ron Henry over the course of my Capitol years

He as a soft spoken and often seemed withdrawn, but once you spent time with him, he became comfortable with you and there grew a sincere and honest relationship. He was thankful that he had a label that really cared about him… we did four albums with Moon.

Honest is the operative keyword. Authentic… humble… down to earth, kick ass rocker from Oklahoma. He lived to play.

Right… he wasn't a 'new waver', he was just Moon. What ya' saw is what ya' got from him. Thanks for your words and sentiment.

Bruce Garfield

____________________________________

Further evidence that we all live in our own bubbles is that you just now found out about Moon's passing, two weeks ago. As a staff engineer at Capitol Studios in the 70's and 80's, I got to work with many artists on the label (Steve Miller, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Maze), including Moon Martin. He came off as the reluctant rock star, very down to earth with no airs, and was all about the music. His contributions to the rock and roll catalog will not be forgotten.

David N Cole

____________________________________

There was nothing complicated about Moon Martin's music.
Guitar-based songs driven by basic riffs that moved almost in a straight line.
I played his songs on KNAC and KROQ during a time when lots of the other music out there just seemed overblown.
And when other artists demanded a bright spotlight...
I got to see him play live in a school cafeteria.

---"Rolene"
---"I've Got a Reason"
---"Hot House Baby"
All bad ass songs written by Moon and touched just enough by the underrated Jude Cole.
All perfectly unembellished...

Marty Bender

____________________________________

Sad news! Met Moon a couple of times in the Valley and he was amazingly humble and incredibly quirky. He drove a non-flashy truck, was very kind to a strange girl, who had no idea who he was, and THAT made for excellent conversation. He did not seem comfortable around people however, when music was playing he found his footing and was a fantastic hang. I am lucky to have met him.

Paula Barron

____________________________________

I was Moon Martin's fan and his friend for over 30 years.
I Co engineered and produced the albums he recorded in the 80s and toured France with him Many times.

Chas Ferry

____________________________________

When I heard the news, I immediately found and shared the video to
"Rolene" with a couple of friends. They didn't remember it or him
until I mentioned "Bad Case", but I knew Rolene in 1979. It got
through to me somehow in Kentucky and ended up on several of my
mixtapes of the day.

Dave Gorman

____________________________________

Very timely story, I have been on this endless quest to scan my slides and negs for the last couple of years (great than a quarter million) and ran across some shots I had of Moon Martin opening for the last version of the Runaways at The Golden Bear in 1978. I got to see Moon twice, once at this Golden Bear show and then as the opener for Cheap Trick at the Long Beach Arena.

Don Adkins

____________________________________

Check out "Aces with You". I heard it in a Nashville fern bar (remember those?) when I was in law school. Had to rush over to the maître D and find out who it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlZ9MHoDvEY

Be safe, be well.

R. Emmett McAuliffe

____________________________________

Like you I did not see any stories about Moon Martin until this past week. I was a sales person for Capitol during the late 1970's and 1980's in D.C. Moon Martin got quite a bit of airplay on WHFS thanks to David Einstein, Weasel, Bob and the rest of the crew of one of the all-time great free form radio stations. BTW - Weasel is still doing his thing on WTMD. https://wtmd.org/radio/sample-page/weasel/

I believe Moon Martin did a gig at the Bayou, that I attended, during the promotion for Escape from Domination.

Willy DeVille with his band Mink Deville played there as well. "Cadillac Walk" also got a lot of exposure on WHFS as did "Mixed Up Shook Up Girl" and "Venus of Avenue D".

Being the pack rat that I am I still have these Moon Martin promo items.

Sadly neither artist got the national traction they deserved to really break through. Sad…

Paul Bishow

____________________________________

We played Moon's albums at my college radio station at the University of Maryland in the late seventies. Good stuff!

R.I.P., Moon.

Carl Nelson

____________________________________

Ex-Southwind member Fontaine Brown had a band later as well, on EMI, called Fast Fontaine, which also featured fellow ex-Southwind member Erik Dalton plus young bassist Dan Rothchild.

My vinyl is true research facility.

Toby Mamis

____________________________________

Before we got involved in the Leon Russell estate, I thought like you, that Oklahoma was where Leon Russell was from. Then I found out also from Oklahoma is, Garth Brooks, Kristin Chenowith, Bob Wills, Reba McIntire, Vince Gill, David Gates (Bread), Will Rogers, Gary Busey, Brad Pitt, Ron Howard, Mickey Mantle and at least a dozen others. Formidable!

Bill Siddons

____________________________________

Oklahoma also provided:
Hoyt Axton
Garth Brooks
Flaming Lips
Chet Baker
Roy Clark?? I think
Merle Kilgore
Wanda Jackson!!

Chuck Thatcher

____________________________________

I remember Cadillac Walk coming out in 1977 and was mesmerized when my buddy spun it up on the turntable when we were living in the dorms at UCSB. I didn't know Moon Martin wrote it. "Dead men raise and sigh." RIP Willy and Moon.

Alan Fenton

____________________________________

Willie DeVille was terrific, but his own worst enemy, like so many.
I never saw him.

Spot on about the Robert Palmer. First three albums were the shit. Changing for MTV may have been smart commercially, but musically I agree with you. I drank with him till dawn after one of our 80's shows with him. The man drank with a purpose. By the middle of the night it was kind of like somebody help Robert to the bathroom. It was tragic to see him gone at 54, but understandable after spending some time with him.
i'm not an Oklahoma music flag waver, but there was really quite a bit more going on here then you've touched on. Particularly in Tulsa, which had its own kind of laid-back sound. Even Clapton fell under a spell in the middle late 70s. And of course JJ Cale. Freddie King had three terrific records on Shelter. Hell even Wanda Jackson was from here. Garth, Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert.

I'll stop there.

Kindest Regards

Lavon Pagan

____________________________________

Regarding "Can one big hit deliver that much cash?"---I owned a ticket agency in New Mexico when Randy Meisner came to town, opening for the Beach Boys. The promoter asked me to babysit Randy and be sure to get him to the show on time, At dinner he mentioned to me that "Take It To The Limit" earned him $100,000 annually. Even putting in a 2x hyperbole factor, that's nice mailbox money. I also had an English teacher in high school who made enough money for writing a Perry Como hit that he taught for the fun of it and didn't need a second job. I can easily see Moon Martin surviving on his royalties. Today's artists--not so much

Be well
Barry Finkenberg

____________________________________

Loved Moon and working his records.

FYI... Garth Brooks is from Oklahoma as well.

Olie Kornelsen

____________________________________

Bob, " Escape from Domination" is crammed full of exceptional songs.

Although Capitol went full tilt on the project, sales scarcely kicked in. I think the intense material called for rougher-edged instrumentation, and more aggressive delivery than Moon's meek vocals.

Paul Lanning

____________________________________

Wow, Bob
Great story. I read that he passed away. I had a couple friends who recorded and played with RP and I did live sound for Willie
for years around Coup d'Grace era (1981). Never knew that Moon wrote those tunes. RP totally ripped off Moon's arrangement.
I like Willy's version better, but Moon's version is really good.
Listening to him now. Thanks for the turn-on.

Steve Isaacson

____________________________________

They're not just reliving their youth, this is their identity!

YES!!!

I left the business, have gone back in later. Smart? Definitely not. But this is why.

J. Greenberg

____________________________________

Thank you for paying attention to Moon Martin !

Was lucky enough to catch him opening for The Clash at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas on June 6, 1982.

Conejo Tejano

____________________________________

Bob you'd be surprised what one big hit can bring in revenue. I have a friend who wrote a monster hit in the '60s that was tied to a hit movie and he receives $1 million annually. Day in and day out.

Larry LeBlanc

____________________________________

Moon Martin. Even if you never heard his music, you never forgot his name or face. He was all over the shelves when spending numerous hours combing the album racks of my favorite record stores back in my teen years. Yet, it took this newsletter for me to listen to him. Had no idea he wrote those tunes.

John Hauser

____________________________________

So weird.

When I saw the subject line, my first thought was "Why is Lefsetz writing about Moon Martin? He died years ago."

Or, so I wrongly thought.

I'd found Escape From Domination in the CD bargain bins. Unlike most CDs that I found there in the early to mid '90s, it was listenable. More than once.

Mr. Martin's saving grace as far as his career goes, (if you discount his major label status and his covered songs that hit big enough to garner royalties enough to live on), is the fact that his life and death rightly warranted a Lefsetz Letter.

Most of us lifers won't be that lucky.

Scott Sechman


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: https://ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.