Monday 20 July 2020

Re-The David Foster Documentary

Thanks for your recent coverage on my film, DAVID FOSTER: OFF THE RECORD. In a career including nearly 50 documentaries, I have never seen such a detailed and forensic look at film much less my film. David is very complex. Dissecting David is very complex. Making the film was very complex. Your review and essay did an extraordinary job in dealing with career and psyche and helped shed some light on things left on the cutting room floor. The thing most Americans do not know is that Canadians are born with a heavy dose of "insecurity DNA" as the both the media and their fellow patriots do not want us to ever be too successful. David, along with many other famous Canadians insulate themselves with a certain bravado and arrogance to help shield themselves from disappointment and critics. Regardless, my attempt was to try and expose the alchemy of talent and persistence with a dose of ego and arrogance.

Best Barry

Barry Avrich
Producer/Director
MEG
Melbar Entertainment Group

_____________________________________

David Foster is a genius - and you know I don't throw that word around lightly.

There have been many times in my life when I've been listening to music and just had to stop what I was doing and find out immediately who made it. One of those moments that is so vivid for me still was when I was driving home from the studio one late summer night in LA and St. Elmo's Fire came on the radio. It was such a powerful, smart and intensely musical record that I had to pull over to fully experience it. I did and it humbled me. It thrilled me and at the same time made me feel inadequate. It made me long to be that good. And it inspired me to sit up and work harder. The same thing happened to me with You're The Inspiration.

There have also been times when a perfect song has brought me to the edge of self control, has touched me so deeply that I was overwhelmed with emotion - because it reached into my soul and pulled up feelings long buried. The Prayer is one of those. It is perfect in every way, easily as moving and dramatic as the greatest ever show tunes, and I think it will live forever. There have been many Foster moments for me over the years.

I have also been in awe of David's ability to appear to serve many masters at once while actually being the one true master himself. But I can imagine that it must have sometimes left him feeling less than completely recognized for what he does. I think he deserves applause for all that he has done with his career - as much for the work of his foundation as for the music. With the former, he has literally saved lives and with the latter he has touched them. So when you're talking about him, keep that in mind. Sure the process is fascinating, but it truly is the result that counts in the end.

None but them can really know how noisy and crowded it is in the brain of a genius. But we can all see that genius exacts a toll. It's just the way it is. It does not foster serenity. It is interminably restless and yearning. And it cannot be contained.

I'm pretty sure it will erupt again in David sometime soon. I don't buy that he's retired, at least I hope he's not.

Bob Ezrin

_____________________________________

I saw the documentary and thought it was great. David is not afraid to speak the truth about himself or anybody else.

I had the pleasure of being in a band with him on a short concert tour with Evie Sands back in the 70s. He did the arrangements also. What you said about his mind going a million miles an hour , I thought to be true. You would be talking to him about something and you could see he was comprehending but also simultaneously thinking about 5 other things. It was easy to see that this cat was going places. He had talent, and he had BALLS!

In the 80's, when I was music director on the TV show STAR SEARCH, David was kind enough to recommend me to some TV projects as a music director&composer.

After that, I didn't see him for a long time until about eight years ago in Tokyo. I was there working on a project, and a promoter friend invited me to the David Foster and Friends concert. When David saw me at the after party he got excited , screamed my name, and seemed happy to see me again. It was a great honor as he's one of my favorite producer/composers of all times. If you have a chance you should check out his concert. Hit after hit after hit. And I'm not talking about someone who creates a hit record by just getting great sounds like an engineer/producer, or producing a record for a great band or solo artist who writes all their own material and play on the sessions. David does it all. He will compose the songs, do the arrangements for rhythm section and also horns and strings. He plays amazing keyboards on the session. He directs, coaches, encourages and challenges the artist and all musicians and backing singers to give their best performance. Quincy can't do what he does. George Martin can't do what he does. None of the engineer/producers types can do what he does. I believe he truly is a genius. Is he confident to the point of being cocky? Absolutely and rightfully so! He knows what he wants and he knows how to get it. A fucking HIT MAN, indeed!

And if David Foster wants to challenge the last frontier for him ( Broadway) , I would bet the freaking farm that he will create a hit show!

Joey CARBONE

P. S. Oh, did I mention that he is also a great guy?

_____________________________________

All young artists should watch. Its about the song the artist and the producer .That's how Hits happen. I did the karate kid soundtrack with my brother bob and brooks arthur when I was President of MGM/UA that he wrote and produced. We won a academy award. He's a winner. Jerry G

Jerry Greenberg

_____________________________________

As a music editor and music supervisor, I worked with David on the underscore and/or songs for over half a dozen films, including Secret of My Success, Preacher's Wife, Quest for Camelot, and The Bodyguard. We were in the studio together with some of the best co-writers, arrangers, engineers, instrumentalists, and admired singers in the world, including Barbra, Boceli, Celine, Cetera, Dolly, Whitney, and many more. During that 10-year period, I learned just about everything I now know about music production. David was smart, talented, aware, and generous. Over 2 summers, my wife, kids, and I joined him and his family in Victoria for his annual David Foster Foundation fundraising weekend that brought together celebrities from the film, television, and sports worlds to raise millions of dollars for Canadian families with children needing transplants. Spending time with some of those families was more uplifting than words can possibly describe. I don't have one bad word to say about this guy, and I'm grateful and blessed to have worked with him and his circle of talented collaborators. As for the documentary, I thought one of the most meaningful aspects was David taking responsibility for his failed marriages, which had unhappy ramifications not only on his wives and kids, but on his friends. While not a tragedy, that part of his life is less than admirable, and he knows and owns it. I certainly hope that with Katharine, David is able to find the serenity he deserves.

Best wishes, and stay safe,

Dan Carlin

_____________________________________

One of our favorite nights last year was when my friend Randy Lennox took us to the premier of the Foster movie at TIFF . Randy is one of the producers. I loved the movie so much and was especially poignant watching it a few seats away from David, Katherine , his Mother and daughters. We marveled how they all adore him . David saw us walk up to the theatre and without missing a beat during an interview on the red carpet grabbed us and welcomed us in . He was like a hungry excited ambitious kid all night , even at the dinner .
You are right about Katherine .
I have sent notes to several colleagues and our Team that this movie is a must if you want to understand the rigor , intensity and just how difficult it is to produce hits for years and years.
I listen to Earth , Wind & Fire now and smile of how they cut those hits with David .

Daniel Glass

_____________________________________

Hey Bob I've known fellow Canadian David Foster since 1985 when he produced and conducted us in "Tears Are Not Enough". In LA he introduced me to Barbra Streisand and Josh Groban, and more recently in Palm Beach to Rod Stewart. Yes David is insane, but insanely passionate about music and has been insanely ambitious from the get go. He told me back when we both lived in Malibu that he "wanted it all…the fame, the money, the private jet, the women." It's no surprise that he needed five different wives for the many chapters of his insanely driven life and that he and Katharine McPhee now have their sights set on Broadway..bravo, great decision and let's wish them every success!!!

I was invited to the documentary premier in Toronto and thought the director did a fine job telling his story. David is brilliant, a genius, tough and focused, at times selfish, and of course could never have produced those mega hits without his complicated life and huge ego. He produced 'Anything for Love" for my friend and fellow Torontonian, Gordon Lightfoot, in 1986. He charged a fortune, and (sorry Gord and David) was absolutely awful! I'm sure he'd be the first to agree. David can't be Quincy or Lennon, but he's made beautiful music loved by millions and helped countless musicians along the way. He's a great guy, very philanthropic over the years and we are proud he is Canadian!

Foster and Dylan…yes!!! if only... but unfortunately for us they are total opposites.
xox,
Liona Boyd

_____________________________________

I have admired David over the years. I am a jazz pianist from NYC and have written songs for Josh Groban, Placido Domingo, Shawn Colvin ,, 'NSYNC Pop John II, Taylor Dayne, The Temptations, Clay Aiken, Rhys Lewis. I have accompanied Frank Sinatra , Sammy Davis Jr and grew up in Westport, CT.

In 2009 my father said you need to meet a guy named David Foster and he just saw his Hitman David Foster and Friends in PBS featuring Josh Groban, Celine Dion, Etc.... A week later my father died of a stroke at 85 and on the day before his Shiva I got a call from an artist named Shanna Crooks from Atlantic Records who I was writing with saying that she was having a meeting with David Foster the following day and wanted me to accompany her at the meeting. It was a tough decision because it was going to happen on the first day of the Shiva. I thought hard and realized that my father would want me to do it so I accepted. I met with David and his manager Marc Johnston and Pete Ganbarg from Atlantic Records. I explained to David that my father had passed away two days ago and he said that I had to meet David Foster a week before he died. He hugged me and couldn't have been nicer. He told me about his father's passing and realized why I liked him so much. Such an inspiration and when I worked with Arif Mardin on the Melissa Errico record (Never Saw Blue Like That composition) he told me David was amazing on Chaka Khan's What Cha Gonna Do For Me album and sight read every note with so much soul.

I'll never forget that day when I met David and it made me realize what a true master he is. He has inspired me to continue to be as creative and inventive every day.

My name is Jeff Franzel. www.jefffranzel.com

Thank you Bob.

_____________________________________

I'm a Chicago follower from the days when they were a politically-charged band regularly playing the Fillmore and ballroom circuits, and stuck with them when they went glossy with Foster in the 80s. It's not always an either/or with this band, and the parts of the Foster documentary discussing Chicago's years with him are a necessary angle to absorb after he and Peter Cetera were roasted in the "Chicago" documentary a few years ago. My recommendation? Watch them both on a double feature and see the big picture. There's always more than one side to every story - in this business, several sides.

Brian Martin

_____________________________________

Agreed Bob. A good documentary about a hugely talented guy who brought forth music people love.

I couldn't help thinking though...safe safe safe. Popular. Mainstream. MOR. Utterly inoffensive music.

What's left to do? The Dylan thing is sort of right. Venture outside the box. Maybe some dirty rocknroll.
Drums, bass, guitar, keyboards (one awesome synth). And a 16 track tape machine. That's it. Put it on Bandcamp. Done.

Michael Chadwick (Australia)

p.s I get the aversion to lifts! Claustrophobia and vertigo together. Nooooo!

_____________________________________

I read his autobio a few years ago and was overwhelmed with a desire to forget it ASAP. What a douchebag.

Paula Franceschi

_____________________________________

I've had the pleasure of working with David on a number of projects and he's always been a force of nature to be around. There are a few great stories but I'd like to share one particularly remarkable memory I'd like to share.

David was in Toronto to do a book signing and there was a piano set up so I'm case he wanted to play for fans during the Q&A session. Naturally he did. At one point an audience member stood up and asked if he had any advise for young composers. David asked if he was a composer and the guy said yes so David invited him up on stage to play an original piece. The guy sat down and played beautifully. David stood at the opposite end of the piano and listened intently. When the guy finished playing, the audience gave him a round of enthusiastic applause and then David said "That was great but can I make a suggestion?" Naturally the guy said yes and David sat down at the piano and, not having even watched the guys hands during the performance, played the beginning of the guys piece and said "This is what you played. And this is how I would play it" he then proceeded to astonish the composer and the crowd by playing a "pop" variation on what he had just heard. It was unforgettable.

Steve Waxman

_____________________________________

That wasn't a Documentary that was an EGOmentary!

Doug Pomerantz

_____________________________________

david foster---Tears Are Not Enough was the David Foster/Bryan Adam version of We Are The World---all canadien stars in the studio---telling moment when joni mithcell is singing and foster comes back to her to talk about the way she is hitting notes and maybe she could change slightly---she says "I think that's my style"....indicative of foster, wanting to change the way someone sings (and has built a career on) for his own purpose....

Frank

_____________________________________

Oh please, Dylan and Foster. Poet and Corporate. Foster is, hmmm, a machine, and in my opinion, lacks the humanity and self effacement of say, Lowell George or George Martin.

A lot of people like his production and music but then again a lot of people voted for DJT and look where that went.

Stephen Cross

_____________________________________

He ruined his legacy and came across as a self-absorbed cheesy dick that that level of success should afford you the wherewithal to not act like a knob head at his advanced years and subsequent stratospheric success.

Legacy soiled .

Eternally trapped in Canadian artistic soft focus waft !

Done some great shit though no doubt on a mercantile level !

All power time him (just don't be a bell-end)

NICK HANSON

DIRECTOR

Godlike & Electric

_____________________________________

Hey Bob I just watched the documentary about David Foster and before I got in the record business was in radio in Seattle C89 Seattle where I played his original version of After the love is gone.. from duo group he had called Airplay. That came out I think on RCA Records. I think you nailed this pretty much 100% of course he gets some respect for some of the stuff that he's done but no I do not want to see him with Van Morrison ever! So thanks for the great read appreciate your work as always

Frank Higginbotham

_____________________________________

Thankfully Van Morrison doesn't need the Svengali of Blandness to produce his records.

LJ Murphy

_____________________________________

I had no idea who he was, not my genres at all. So I watched to learn something.

Your right about everything, I agree with almost every point in your piece…and he still came off like a cunt! A little humility? He wasn't beaten by his father or the product of a frigid mother, in fact his father said "you think you can make a living at this? Then do it". Point being, why does he need so much love? Maybe he's just a narcissistic dick?.

Music is 100% subjective, fully admit it, and I hate almost all of the stuff he's done.

Full credit to him, he owns that lane, but ugh, it's full of soulless cars making boring, unmemorable noise.

I'm sure I'm in the minority. He knows how to make "art" that makes money.

- Darryl Estrine

_____________________________________

It was so great to see you'd written about the doc. I so enjoyed reading your take, however... Celine Dion's "All By Myself" is forever.

Best,

Pete Giambalvo

_____________________________________

As the guitarist in the LA HOB Sunset house band for several years when it opened, I had the opportunity to do a number of cavalcade benefit shows at the venue. Everyone was stopping by to either hang out or play and be a part of this 'new kid on the block'. People were looking for the new 'China Club', and there was a sniff of anticipation in the air as the music/movie community was holding
on to a certain sense of camaraderie.

I can remember one particular global network TV presentation that included David Foster, Jim Belushi, Dan Akyroyd, Sam Moore, Skunk Baxter, and Steve Cropper, among others.

David came in with his notation arranger who handed out sheet music that resembled a conductors score.....it took 2 music stands to hold it in place. He wanted the house band to play his compositional opening sequence for the Calgary Olympics....aided by 'tracks' of the orchestra etc. All I can remember of that moment is it felt incredibly stiff and mechanical.

Later in the evening and in stark contrast, Sam Moore got up and did a series of soulful Sam & Dave hits including 'When Something is Wrong with My Baby'. Preacher that he is, he was pacing the stage, working the crowd, and bringing the sound down to a whisper. The joy was infectious! I still can picture glancing over at David Foster on the keys, with a look in my eye that said.....'now isn't this really what it's all about!'

At the end of that set, I remember David, like a bolt of lightning, looking past everybody, left that stage running up to the Foundation Room, where I assumed he was engaged in some major deal making.

Jim and Dan, Sam Moore, Skunk Baxter and Steve Cropper, along with my campadre's in the HOB band, all contributed to an amazing night.
I don't think David even realized the moment that he missed.

I got a real personality dose of the cardboard cutouts that can thrive in that LA scene.

One last note. I remember distinctly....Sam Moore was wearing a shirt that said 'Less is More'

Amen.

Steve Chrismar

_____________________________________

Whew, lot of wind on the king of cheese.

Billy Chapin

_____________________________________

David Foster might be the WORST thing to ever happen to music.

Gary Poole

_____________________________________

Hello my name is RJ Cipriani aka Robin Hood 702.
I have some important info regarding the inaccuracies in this documentary.
Please call me at your earliest convenience.

_____________________________________

Jeez, Bob... Foster should hope to know half of what Dylan's forgotten.

Bill Mumy

_____________________________________

I have known David Foster for more than 40 years and worked with him numerous times. My experiences with him have been consistently terrific. He has even come and taught a number of times at my UCLA Career Class and was as good working with my students as anyone I have ever had as a guest. In fact, I'd have to say he was spectacular. I truly enjoyed the documentary as I felt he was wonderfully candid about his strengths and his weaknesses. I think he is a great talent and I don't agree at all with your judgement of the impact of what he has created over the years. Ken Kragen

_____________________________________

I had no idea why women would throw themselves at David Foster until I watched this documentary. I totally get it now.

Danielle Pike


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: https://ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.