Tuesday 20 June 2023

Romantic Comedy

https://tinyurl.com/yc3anpmh

This book is mind-blowingly good.

But you won't feel that way at first, you'll think it's a trifle, a direct lift of "Saturday Night Live," akin to Curtis Sittenfeld's book about Hillary Clinton, "Rodham," wherein she breaks up with Bill before marriage and a different story ensues. I mean "Rodham" is a good read, but it's light.

Whereas "You Think It, I'll Say It," Sittenfeld's collection of short stories, is oftentimes dark, and gripping. "You Think It, I'll Say It" is the best short story book I've ever read. I keep recommending it to people but they don't read it, primarily because they're turned off by short stories, and I understand that, but this is different.

Anyway, I read everything Sittenfeld writes. Beginning with her debut, "Prep." I'm a sucker for these boarding school tales. Can I tell you that I love "Dead Poets Society"? Although I went to public school, I went to college with a lot of prep school students. Prep school changes you. Teaches you how to fit in, but when eyes are looking the other way, no one is wilder than a prep school graduate.

So "Romantic Comedy" is Sittenfeld's new one, released in April. I haven't felt the buzz, but it's got four stars on Amazon with thousands of ratings, so people are reading it, I just don't find people talking about it. Because...

People don't know how to talk about love. Or they don't want to, it makes them squirm. Yet it's what all of us want, so it's a conundrum.

So Sally is a writer at "Night Owls," the late night sketch comedy run by Nigel, who's a direct lift of Lorne Michaels. She's been there for years, and how she got there is very interesting, I won't spoil it, but let's just say you'd be surprised who doesn't understand your dreams, never mind support them.

And Sally doesn't want to be on camera.

And she's divorced, but she's got a f*ck buddy, she has needs. And she's 38, and she's not planning to leave the show and then...

A rock star is the host. And the musical guest. And he comes in with his own sketch, and Sally helps him hone it.

One of the big themes of the book is whether you can date out of your league. The guys at "Night Owl" run with the female celebrities, but can the women? If you're average-looking can you date a gorgeous celebrity? Sally even writes a sketch about it.

So, Sally feels something from the rock star, Noah, but does he feel it too? And I'm not talking about the Peter Frampton song, then again it's not a bad soundtrack, because the song is ultimately optimistic, which is what you've got to be to fall in love.

So Sally is reading the signs. But is she the only one reading them? Does anybody else notice them? Can she even discuss them with anybody else?

You don't want to snuff the inner flame, you don't want people to laugh at you, so you suffer...

And then, when it looks like something might happen between Sally and Noah, when she's about to find out if he really is into her, she unconsciously says something to push him away. This is not uncommon, I've done it. I've had tons of therapy to analyze it. Now I'm aware. But ultimately, the anxiety gets to you and your instinct is to go back to your happy place, alone, even though it's not that happy.

And then...

Correspondence begins during lockdown, and...

This isn't much different from how I met Felice. I met her, felt something, wasn't sure if she did, and then months later we connected via fast and furious e-mail and then...

This is the way romance is in the twenty first century. I'm not talking about Tinder, I'm not talking about married couples, I'm not even talking about young 'uns. But once you've been around the block, Sally's been married, been hurt a few times, how do you navigate the waters? Get old enough and people become afraid to jump in. Sally is not that old.

There's so much wisdom, baked in to this easily read book. It's anything but heavy, but then again it is. It's the anti-Iowa Writers' Workshop book, you know, rewritten to impress fellow writers, as opposed to writing something the public will truly enjoy reading. Maybe that's why there's not more ink on "Romantic Comedy," because the intelligentsia, the publishing cognoscenti, look down upon it, it's not dense with incomprehensible adjectives, there's not endless depiction of the scene, it's not removed from real life, but rather it is real life.

Yes, you can read about real life, but it's not the same as living it.

And I was just about to quote some truisms from the book, that struck me, but now I've decided not to, I've already told you too much.

Once again, if you're addicted to nonfiction, don't read this.

If you're a guy... You're on your own. Chances are you never talk about this stuff and maybe can't even own it yourself. You're so busy bucking up, being one of the guys, a bro, that you can't be sensitive. But you've got to be sensitive to have a relationship, a real one.

If you're a woman, I think you're much more likely to love this book.

Then again, there will be guys who love it and women who hate it, that's what makes the world go round.

And I'll save further clichés, I'll just say that "Romantic Comedy" sits with me in a way other books do not. I can relate to it. I think the writer is not that different from who I am, she understands me.

And she just might understand you too.

Check it out.


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: https://ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple
: https://apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.