Thursday 30 June 2016

Re-Uber

I don't know whether to be happy about Uber -- that guys like this can get this kind of work -- or sad that this is what the American economy has come to.

Greg Dennis

___________________________________

I had some down time last year and took a job driving Uber during the holidays - at night. I mean if you gotta drive, might as well do it during the holidays.
The thing is, had Uber been around when I was 20, I'd be killing it. During New Years, I picked up more drunk girls in two's and three's than I care to remember.

2 days before Christmas I picked up a model who lived above Sunset. She was on her way to a party. Very talkative and funny. I ran a stop sign looking at her
in the rear view mirror. When she got out (with a tip of course!), she left my Prius smelling of Tom Ford's 'Oud Wood". It smelled so good the next day I went to
Nordstroms to buy some for the wife.

Of course I asked for "Old Wood".

It was $300.00 a bottle - half a week's salary driving Uber.

I said "Yikes" and left.

Uber was fun. And yes, there's a million stories in the naked city.

Tom Cartwright

___________________________________

I have a great UBER story- My wife and I were in an Uber on our way to the theater. Our Uber driver t-boned another car. All airbags deployed. Seatbelts were on, we looked at each other, identified no medical follow-up was necessary and opened the UBER app to find another car to get us to the show. We made the curtain call...(the show Kinky Boots was incredible).

Love your emails- Stern got me hooked on you.

By For Now!

Russell Kirsner

___________________________________

we airbnb & we hardly see our regular friends anymore because our lives are filled with people, their stories. Our faith in humanity has never been stronger. this sharing economy, so far, seems a wonderful antidote to the faceless bickering of face(less)book.

Sarah Fridrich

___________________________________

Hi,

Hope it's ok to email you, I read your blog today, I't made me cry.

I'm an UBER driver in Vermont, 65, female, trying to pay the"bills"

I worked in retail for 30 years, (no pension of course) and still working as well for Bed, Bath and Beyond, My story is similar but on the other side, working in a small market I've come to know many of my riders, all with similar stories, DUI's, can't afford a car, just "need a ride, rides's to walk in care, we also live and die by those ratings,

Anyway, when people asked me about UBER and why I do it,
I say "because I'm saving lives everyday"
Hope you like this story.

Judy LaVigne

___________________________________

I had a Nigerian guy driving me from my gig last night. He's studying for a PhD in media and communications. Fascinating.

Adam Blake

___________________________________

"He was coming in an F-150."

I will never forget the day my dad drove up to my grandma and grandpa's house (his parents') in his Ford F-150 on the day he bought it...it was my 13th birthday, May 11, 1994.

He pulled it in the semi-circle driveway in front of the two-story home, fresh from a car wash, most likely whichever one was closest to the house. I was so happy for him. A brand new fire-engine red F-150 Sport.

For years, as his primary vehicle, he had been driving my grandpa's (his dad's) utility truck, a poop-brown 80s Ford Ranger, explicitly purchased for bringing home items which wouldn't fit in either of grandma's or grandpa's wannabe-luxury sedans. (An Oldsmobile is not a Lincoln.) Dad finally treated himself, and had gifted to my mom his 1989 Mercury Topaz XR5 coupe, in which the automatic seat belts stopped working in 1993.

I distinctly remember him telling me, "You know, John, it's been 5 years since we bought a vehicle, and now your mom has that one. You're the next oldest, so what do you think happens in five years??"

I get the truck?!?

"Yes, sir! So you had better help me take care of it..." Dad said with a smile.

My dad, a baby boomer born in 1951, was so full of confidence. He was a respected DJ and creative director at W4 Country in Detroit, having worked there for 13 years, earning a decent living.

He was sure that the pattern would continue, that as long as he kept showing up and doing his job with excellence as he always had, he would be taken care of, and therefore so would his family. He even purposely opted for an F-150 with no air conditioning because his daily commute to and from work was short and routine.

Dad wasn't prepared for Clear Channel buying out Shamrock Broadcasting in 1995, changing formats, and firing anyone at the station with an opinion and a brain.

He never worked in radio again. The family lived on his severance pay and help from my grandparents for two years while transitioning into a world which was becoming increasingly dominated by personal computers, at the dawn of the internet. My dad subsequently ended up driving that F-150 for ten years until being able to make enough money to afford to lease a new vehicle.

Me, I got the Topaz when I turned 16. Mom was too busy to drive anyway, taking care of my dad's 90-year old grandmother who was living (read: dying of dementia) with us....

I could go on and on about the roller coaster of life my family and I have been on since my dad was removed from his job at the radio station over twenty years ago, but my lady and I are about to step out for a greasy lunch. Just want to finish by saying...driving for Uber and Lyft covers my bills so I can spend the rest of my time pursuing my efforts as a professional musician.

Talk to your Uber driver. And tip them if they are friendly and add some sort of value to your ride.

John Kay

___________________________________

Last July 4th weekend we were in Chicago for a long weekend, a wedding and to catch one of the last "Dead" shows. The week before, the local papers had a story about how a Dolphins rookie was also driving for Uber. He was new to Miami, needed some extra money and wanted to meet people.

The wedding was held in an old furniture factory converted to a showroom for antiques and repros. We were all staying at the W Lakeshore. There was supposed to be a bus shuttle back and forth. Between the concert, 2 baseball games and shootings, the bus never arrived. So, together with the Groom's Uncle, we Uber'd back to the hotel. Within 5 minutes, a new Chevy picks us up. The driver is a beautiful young woman. I get in the front seat, my wife and the uncle in back. We start chatting and I tell her about the football player. So, I ask, "what's your day job"?

Turns out she's a Northwestern Law graduate working as an Assistant AG for the state. She said she began driving 4 years before to help her brother with college costs.

Now, here's the kicker. The state hadn't yet passed it's annual budget which was a month overdue - she'd been furloughed and was happy to be picking up rent money.

The things you find out with just one question.

Regards,
Rick Pardo

___________________________________

Take Uber every day in Toronto, sometimes twice a day and there's nothing better than UberStories, they're like songs without the music.

This business is all about people. Derrick Ross (Spoons Drummer turned promo guy turned music exec at Slaight Music) always told me..."People first...records second"

Best advice I ever got in this business.

Adrian Strong

___________________________________

I drive for Uber and interesting conversations with customers like you are what make it worthwhile.

Jeremy Ferrick

___________________________________

Bob,

I've been in LA writing songs and touring for the last four years and haven't had a car the entire time I've been here. When I first moved to town uber was maybe 6 months off from really picking up steam so I was calling yellow cabs which as has been detailed is just overall not great. Uncertain wait times, pretty expensive, jaded drivers. Then uber. I would have reached the breaking point and bought a car right around when it became a thing. About 6 months ago I switched to lyft almost exclusively because uber was surging constantly. I tried lyft a bit and found that it was about the same price normally, surged less and after having a few conversations with lyft drivers every one of them said that they had driven for both and preferred lyft by a mile. They made more money, were better treated by the company and found the riders with lyft to be generally more pleasant and respectful. In terms of the rider experience I find it almost exactly the same.

I love not having a car in LA. I can send emails and make calls on the rides and never have to stress about driving in traffic or finding parking spaces. The annual cost is probably a little higher than owning or leasing but the quality of life boost is worth it to me. But really what has become the most special, interesting part about it is what you focus on: it is the most social, personally engaging mode of transportation I have ever experienced. I lived in NYC for awhile and the subway is always fascinating but we all very, very rarely have any substantive interactions packed into all that urban blasé. With uber and now even more with lyft, sometimes I exchange quick pleasantries and then handle business or zone out staring out the window but I have also had countless fascinating conversations. There's something about sharing a tight, familiar space with someone else that means that people just open up without thinking about it. I've seen so many drivers do it and I've done it
unconsciously a ton. And it means that you end up getting a feel for the city in a way I'd imagine you never could before. A retired Colombian precious stones trader who came to the US decades ago fleeing FARC. A born and bred LA native who has been helping the homeless on skid row for years just now getting to the point of starting his own non-profit. A retired grandma who just likes meeting people and enjoy conversation. A Libyan college student here studying business planning to return to Tripoli straight away. And of course a ton of musicians. The flexibility seems to benefit lots of different lifestyles.

Glad to hear you had the same experience I've been having almost every day.

Best,
Tom Peyton

___________________________________

Bob,

I hear you.

Driving a stick is like playing a sport - one injury and you're out. I broke my fourth metatarsal in my left toe in November and couldn't depress the clutch for a month. And just a few weeks ago hit my hand on the ceiling fan, injuring a tendon in the process, had to ride the bench a few days before I could muster the strength required to yank the e-brake and also shift into reverse.

And as a quick piggyback on Uber. Last weekend I had to pick up my sister and her girlfriend from the Griffith Observatory. She - my sister's friend - was exhibiting signs of heat stroke and was in no shape to muscle the 45 minute return hike to the base.

So I dialed. The Uber driver arrived within minutes. I told him from the get-go that I would need to be dropped back off at the pickup location, he agreed, but then once we reach the observatory the bastard tried to stiff me and refused to drive the three of us back down the mountain.

He says "I gotta drop you off here. Sorry. I have to take this request coming in".

I'm stunned. I remembered telling him I needed a round trip. So, do I argue with him? And with what level of politeness? And - similar to your inner monologue - was I going to get blackballed if I stated my case and demanded to be taken back to my car?

After a brief back and forth, all the while holding back the floodgates of my Italian rage, he agreed to take me down. And spent more time TEXTING while descending the sharp curves of Fern Dell. But I haven't reviewed him. I probably should. But I don't like giving bad reviews for individuals. What if that's the review that makes them lose their job?

Last piggyback - regarding PT, I have to day, DO IT. For at least 4 days a week for one month. It's a good way to get jumpstarted into a workout routine. Or, if money's a driving factor, you could always settle for the P90X route.

Great post. Much more fulfilling than reading about Drake or Kanye.

Aaron Kelley

___________________________________

Bob, I'm a physician and the best part of my job is the stories! Life is a mess, and the iterations are amazing. You just have to listen.

Jonathan Bock

___________________________________

Hey Bob -

Of all your missives, this is the one that has inspired me to reply! I loved it ...I was right there with you the whole way. It's ALL about people and the curiosity and empathy to connect. If only to connect ... but usually for sooo much more for where those connections might lead and what the human insight might inspire in terms of new thoughts, ideas, actions.

I'm coming back to you from London - albeit I'm a kiwi washed up here almost 18 years ago. Yet I work in NY and SF so you know... global citizen.

I too am a few degrees away from us knowing the same people. I'm not so much in the music business as consulting to it, or partnering with it. Began with BBC Radio 1 back in the day, then MTV, Sony Music around 32 global territories, then American Idol which got me to Cisco (?!) and Spotify. I do what I call Fan Innovation - helping clients translate the science of innovation to the entertainment arts - or just the art of starting, building and growing audiences in the 21st century; the substance of understating audiences for new truths, then insight-applied creativity to create and connect new ideas.

I only say the above to provide context for this - I've been working with Cisco around developing a new education proposition that is 'developing a new generation of global problem solvers'. Too much to say, suffice that through a Cisco lens that boils down to 'technology + creativity' (they need other bigger ways to say it but essentially it's that). Now what's super interesting (oh BTW you won't know this but Cisco funds and supports 10k academies (partners), 20k trainers training 1 million students in networking! it's that ecosystem that we're innovating) is that the new generations you describe are exactly what we're working on - how to educate, train, support innovative technologies, entrepreneurial thinking, social agency and sustainable business practices that come together either in individuals, or better teams, of young people who are then skilled to solve the coming problems. And businesses can recruit those kinds of new skills into their organisations - meaning they're
becoming future proofed as well.

The Uber guy below is modern working - the multi-hyphenate approach to work and life. The skills he's acquired through bouncing around different work give a kind of resilience that will become common place - it's not today, but it soon will have to be. And as much as he has those skills, the other attributes required in an economy radically transforming through robotics and automation will be creativity and empathy. The individual capacity for understanding others, and the insight that provides as new foundations for creative problem solving are becoming the defining skills of the 21st century. Data and tech and all that will play a massive role in it all - but nothing can yet replicate our human capacity for understanding and those ideas that seem destined for us (as relates a quasi spirituality that we won't get into!).

And all that starts with connection - for being open to engage, observe, listen, share and empathise. Amazing how many can't do this - or have forgotten how because they're educated away from it as soon as they start work.

In curiosity we trust Bob. Long may that continue - for all our sakes.

Aroha
Matt Hart

___________________________________

I was a forest fire protection worker in northern Saskatchewan. All thru university. Paid for university. And let me tell you, it's a dangerous fucking job. I've seen helicopters crash into the ground and helicopters crash into water with men and women on board. I've seen guys on ATV's try to out run a fire and barely escape. But my own story about fire fighting really changed my life.

It was a slow season in Saskatchewan and Alberta needed help. So I signed up to go for a two week stint to help out. I was up in Slave Lake on a huge fire. This was in the late 1990s. I was patrolling the front line with another fire fighter. We had about 500 ft of hose making sure it wouldn't jump the line. Our water source was perfect. We held the line. All was going well until the winds picked up. There was no fire and really I thought that meant no danger. My partner was on the hose and I said I'll take a turn patrolling the line while he went and ate lunch. But What made the line dangerous was the winds. The fire had been going for days and while it never jumped the line, it was burning slowly where one could not see. On the outside the spruce trees looked like they had not been touched. But the fire burned slowly inside it as they stood upright. All it would take is a good gust of wind and they would topple over. On the fire line, they were called widow makers. Because if one
ever fell and hit you, that's what it made the ones you loved. Widow Maker. I wasn't married, but I was engaged to be married. And when I grabbed the hose from my fire line partner that day, I felt the winds pick up. And as I turned towards the fire, there was a big old spruce tree coming right at me. All I could was dive to my left and brace myself for the end. Fortunately, only the branches hit my legs. There were bruises, but nothing more. But The big old spruce made such a sound when it hit the ground, I've never forgotten the sound. My partner was about twenty feet away and turned around to see me just escape. Was I rattled? For sure. And as I laid there I thought of my mom, my dad, my sisters. My family. I hopped to my feet trying to be cool about it all. My partner was freaking out as the winds were really crazy and it felt like any tree could pluck us at any second. So we decided to go to safety. Before we did I went over to the spruce tree that lay on the ground. I tried to
put my arms around it but could only get half way. It was that big. I worked the rest of the day acting like it was no big deal. When we got back to camp, I went and had a shower. I cried in that shower like I have never cried in my life. You probably wouldn't have known I was even in a shower, truth be known.

6 days later I got home and you know what I did? I called off the engagement to my fiancé. In that moment of life and death, I never thought of her once. Not even for a second. That big old spruce taught me more that day than maybe any day I have lived. Yeah , it's silly. But that's life and it has funny ways of revealing things to you. Sometimes you pay attention. Sometimes you don't. But that day I did. Eventually I married the right girl and we have two wonderful boys.

Bob, you're email today made me remember this story. The forest fire season is a dangerous one and I think of all the men and women fighting fires here in Canada and the US. I hope they all come home safe every night. You can replace buildings, but you can't replace a life. I hope that Uber driver can keep training those folks on the line because it's so important. I hope he can train them yearly so he doesn't need Uber. Forest fires move faster uphill than they do down hill. Did you know that? It dries everything in front of them thus the reason they become dangerous. Tough to outrun a fire uphill. But any advantage you can have when you need to escape one is worth it. That's why training and fitness are important. You hope you never need it.

Always enjoy the emails, but especially enjoyed this one tonight.

Sign me
Saskatchewan Fire Guy.
Todd Devonshire

___________________________________

Hey Bob!

I live in Austin, and yes, I'm a musician.

Anyway, I was driving Uber to make some side cash and push the band forward when I decided that driving people around in essentially a free market was too interesting not to write about. So I started documenting almost every ride I took (at least the interesting ones) until Uber shut down recently in Austin (crazy stuff- now the ride-sharing market is a black one). I must have put down 20 pages and thought one day I'd have enough to publish it. You know, a little comedy, a little social commentary, a little of my life trying to make it in a band, a little economics.

I met all different types of people and had some crazy situations (girls throwing up on New Years, strip club trips, Frat guys bleeding from the head coming out of a bar fight, hospital visits, work rides, vacation riders etc...) but it's made me a better artist and songwriter.

P.S. I find solace in your writing a lot, even if shedding light on why it's a hard game in today's world. Thank you.

ROCK ON,
DANIEL EYES

___________________________________

Bob,

I'm not the most talkative person but I love listening to a good story. Uber started up here in Stamford, Connecticut about two years ago and I've been using them ever since. Parking is a pain here so why not just jump in an Uber. Everyone's got a story. The playwright, the college student, the stay at home mom who drives while her kids are at school. I'm waiting to see who will be the Brandon Stoddard ( Humans of New York) of the suburban Uber drivers!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. We were worried about you there for a while.

Warm regards,
Jeanne Buckley Peloso

___________________________________

Don't be scared of using Uber, but know that their vetting process for drivers is laughable. As long as one can pass a basic criminal background check, has no major violations on their driving record, and their car has four doors and is newer than 1999, they can likely drive for Uber.

Lyft has a much higher standard for vetting their drivers, and even dispatches a long-time Lyfter to ensure that the driver speaks English, is friendly, has inoffensive body odor, keeps their vehicle clean, doesn't drive like a jackass, etc.

Without Uber and Lyft, I'd have have to get a "real job".

Until the beginning of this year, I was a salaried guitarist in a moderately successful punk rock band. Being in the band for two years after being hired as a permanent member, I had already begun the process of purchasing a home in metro Detroit when they informed me their original guitarist was rejoining the band. Apparently they had made him a promise five years before I joined that if he ever decided to return, his position would be waiting for him. Relationships are everything, right??

So, I scrambled for an opportunity which would generate enough revenue to allow me to continue on my musical path and afford me the freedom to chart my own course. Uber and Lyft have fulfilled that.

But not without a cost.

I've put over 23,000 miles on my car in less than six months, and have had it in the shop at least once each of those months, at an average price of $150 per shop visit.

And I drive a stick, so all those city miles put a lot of wear and tear on...

My shoulder.

I'm right-handed. I write with it, lead on drums with it, strum guitar with it, etc.

I was laid up for almost three weeks straight with an immense pain, aching, numbness, tingling, and heat running from my upper back, over my shoulder, down my bicep and tricep, through my forearm, and ending in the tips of my thumb and forefinger. I felt like a weak piece of nothing, easing in my favorite chair, playing video games, satiating myself for days and days.

I'm back in the saddle again, driving all over, and telling people how to search for my new album on Spotify. It dropped this past Friday, but no one knows about it because I'm not a millionaire, and I don't know any.

I'll bet you do, though.

John Kay

P.S. Tip your Uber driver!! Cabs cost more, stink more, and take longer to get to you, but you still tip them, right??

P.P.S. 20% is the new standard when it comes to tipping. Hold others accountable.

___________________________________

My first Uber experience was last month in LA. I flew into LA from Portland, and rented a Jeep. I flew in for Joe Walsh's show at the Forum. However, I didn't want to drive from WeHo to Inglewood, so I downloaded the Uber App and placed my request.

I was surprised that I had an immediate driver in a new Honda Civic. I jumped in and I was off to Joe. I engaged in conversation, to learn my driver was focusing on his career as a realtor. His Uber career was keeping him afloat though, and he was happy. He dropped me right in front of the VIP entrance. By the way, Joe was fantastic with Waddy, plus sitting with the likes of Ringo, Crosby, Lynne and Grohl to name a few, made for a memorable evening.

After the show, I pulled up the App, had an immediate response. I coordinated with my driver to pick me up across from the forum in the sizzler lot, per his suggestion to avoid the congestion. My second uber driver, rolling in a Prius, was from a young man from Armenia. He said that he was getting a lot of offers to drive concert goers, but he loyally waited for me! As the crowd watched me get in, I felt good...I have a driver. Again, I engaged. We talked about his life, and goals of being a film student. I'm confident, he will make it.

So, my first Uber experience happened on my birthday, in LA, with Joe, Waddy, Ringo & two real people, my Uber drivers.

Alex Hart

___________________________________

Hi Bob

I got in an uber in Sydney the day with Ali, a refugee from Afghanistan, and ended up in a fascinating discussion about the philosophy of Epicurus and how nearly all people want the same things - peace, health and education.

I left elated from the discussion; lifted up from the hate that permeates the press.

Life is good and there are beautiful people in the world. Listen and engage and you will be happier.

As Thomas Merron wrote "No man is an island".

Thanks for always making my day better.

James Hains

___________________________________

Hey Bob! I'm a new screenwriter, after transitioning out of the film/tv music somewhat in the past 6 mos. Did my first short film and it's being featured currently at Issa Rae's YouTube channel. Been a blast so far. And to think, I did this because as a music supervisor, I got tired of chasing other people's projects. I blindly said to the Universe "gonna create my own stuff instead!" and here I am, just optioned my first book. Crazy.

Long story even shorter, I was in an Uber in Wash, DC. I hate Uber. But it was cold and it was during that freak blizzard earlier this year. I had underdressed because -- freak blizzard, so I caved. Guy that picked me up was super nice but was an immigrant with an amazing story. AMAZING. He was a movie star in his own country, and came here and couldn't get any work basically so started driving taxis. He told me his story over the course of 15 minutes and I immediately got out of the Uber and went home and wrote something.

The energy of people is how I fuel my creativity, and that's the only thing Uber is good for. Unless you don't want to be bothered that day and then, most Uber drivers LOVE to chat. I need a sign that says "Not today, Satan."

Best of luck on your recuperation!

R. Michael Thomas
Adjacent Media

___________________________________

Hey Bob,

Can share a cab story you may like. So I had this all nighter one time in Dublin and fell out with some close friends over something that alcohol exaggerated to no end. At 6am I left the party to get the bus to my hometown Drogheda. Dublin is big enough so I called a taxi to take me to the Bus Stop. In the cab I managed to complain a little and the taxi driver felt urged to give me some perspective.

"My wife earned alot more than me when I was a member of the Irish Army Rangers. She was a solicitor. We decided one of us would stay at home once we had our third child, so I took leave. Soon I got into a nice soccermom-esque routine but sensed a growing resentment from my wife for this. Soon her social life grew and mine withered. Now we just dont know each other. I know what I want to say to her, but I've waited 2/3 years now and haven't said anything.

She never asks why I wake up in the middle of the night to empty the washing machine and put another load on (power is much cheaper at that time), she never asks me how I am, she never wants to go out, we never really make love anymore. And you're here in my taxi son, a single man in your mid twenties complaining about a bad night out on the gargle (drink) when I'm trying to figure out what I've done, where my independence has gone and if my wife actually loves me anymore.

I'm an ex ranger who could break your neck in 3 moves yet I can't say this to my wife. I haven't got the courage. So go on son, jesus you've no problems at all buddio, thanks for listening - you know I could see in your face I was doing something for you telling you this. And you done something for me listening. Do me a favour and be happy will you? Take care buddio".

I skipped onto the bus back to my town. I had nothing to be angry or worried about. Not then. I was happy and hopeful I had helped the taxi driver to talk. Sometimes I wonder how he is now.

This taxi conversation dragged me back to a funny phrase I heard from a brewing colleague when I worked in Guinness, "theres always more in the wash up chap. Dont trust anyone who wont wash up with you", it always make me laugh... us men love to complain, but perspective is very powerful... thanks to a Taxi Driver I learned it very well.

Sean Matthews
Ireland

___________________________________

Hey Bob, I really enjoyed your email tonight. Everyone has a story and it's a shame more of us don't take the time to engage the way you did, or even just take a moment to listen and let someone else know they matter. It's sad that it's especially rare in our industry, and we never know how much something as simple as a smile might mean to someone who needed it.

Anyway, it seems like you're in somewhat of a sentimental mood and I couldn't stop thinking of a song that perfectly describes the sentiment of "My Uber Driver." You might have heard of Ben Rector before, but if not, he's a very talented fellow Nashville artist. After reading your letters for the last 7 years or so, I know you're a lyric guy. So here's the link to his song called "The Men That Drive Me Places." If by chance you do read this, and by chance go even farther and listen to the song, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :) Have a great night Bob, and best wishes for a quick recovery.

Jeremy Henshaw
SafetySuit

https://open.spotify.com/track/0DrIEgXGCctCqzHUihq2t2
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-men-that-drive-me-places/id1023525896?i=1023525904

Howard drives a minivan with the cruise ships from Ft. Lauderdale
And it's been that way since 1994
Does his business on a flip phone with the most obnoxious ringtone
I didn't ask but I can tell he's from New York
And he spoke proudly of his daughter and that this fall she'd be in college
And that he always wished he'd gotten his degree
You can tell he came from nothing, built a future out of hustling
And somehow I'm the one you people pay to see

Oh isn't that just the way it goes
You're dealt a good hand and you get celebrated
Oh how am I the only one who knows
I'm half the man of the men who drive me places

Danny showed up early fifteen minutes till five thirty
Making sure that I'd be on my morning flight
He said he'd love to fix computers, but that he can't until he's fluent
So he spends his driving money taking class at night
He wore a neatly ironed dress shirt and he helps his kids with homework
And deep inside I couldn't help but ask myself
Why that at night I'm up on stage, everybody knows my name
While Danny's early picking up somebody else

Oh isn't that just the way it goes
You're dealt a good hand and you get celebrated
Oh how am I the only one who knows
I'm half the man of the men that drive me places

And now everything's not given, I work hard to make my living
But I'll give credit where I think credits due
Maybe you got dealt a good hand
Maybe you play it the best that you can
But I don't know how far you'd walk without those cards
In Howard and Danny's working shoes

But that's just the way it goes
You're dealt a good hand and you get celebrated
Oh how am I the only one who knows
I'm half the man of the men that drive me places


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25




-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.