Monday 21 August 2017

Mailbag

Subject: Persuasions/BNL "Goodtimes" we wish to thank you.

Good morning Bob,

I just read your glowing mention of The Persuasions/BNL album Ladies and Gemtlemen, specifically your mention of Goodtimes. I can not begin to tell you how great that makes me feel. Not from an artist hearing wonderful things about their musical offerings for ego purposes but for what it means to the friends and family of The late Basso Profundo, James Caldon Hayes. This was his final album with the group, recorded in Toronto at Noble Studios, October of 2016 along with two live performances with BNL and Persuasions before his passing in May of this year. Although ailing he got to experience the adoration from a whole new generation of Rock fans who prior to the album did not know his name. He received a standing ovation during the show as fans were visibly awed by his lush bass voice. He and I were very close and as the lead vocalist and arranger for the album, I would work closely together with him on the songs before presenting it to the rest of the group to further flesh it out. That was our system. Phone Calls at odd hours and just vibing on BNL songs and deciding which ones we would tackle. Boy, do I miss those moments. He was so proud of this album. I remember taking a first pressing of the vynil to his house and watched his face the way it lit up when he held it. I had a glimpse of what it was like for him those many decades ago when he held his first big hit album "Street Corner Symphony in his hands. I loved him and miss him dearly so much so that no one stand to my left on stage, as that was his spot. He will forever be on my left shoulder. Thank you for recognizing the work we all did on the album as it truly was a labor of love. Since his passing BNL elected to "move on" but for us it will always be a moment and journey that ended too soon. I have always enjoyed your writing and will be eternally grateful for what you have done to further his footprint on the minds and ears of your music followers.

Thank you,
Dave Revels
The Persuasions
__________________________________________

From: Antonia Zerbisias
Subject: Good Times

Hi Bob, I too am a premium subscriber to Spotify -- and I am even older than you are. (Saw the Beatles, Cream and Hendrix live in Montreal in the 60s.) However I find that the best way to discover new music is via CBC Radio, i.e. the radio side of the publicly-owned Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It is commercial-free. It is also available via Sirius and around the world online. Many of the "DJs" -- do they still call them that? -- are former/active musicians but ALL the presenters know their stuff. It's like listening to old-timey AOR, except with much more variety.

Anyway, this is how I discover music.

Good Times (and other tracks) by the Persuasions and Barenaked Ladies were first performed live in a CBC Radio studio way back in April, just days after the album was released. ?

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18401/first-play-live-barenaked-ladies-the-persuasions?utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag
__________________________________________

From: Steve Lukather
Re: Atypical

My 6 year old son Bodhi is autistic.6
It is a different kind of a journey as no 2 kids are the same !
It's made me a different more patient man that laughs at the little Bullshit in life cause when a DR tells you your kid is autistic ... life changes from that moment forward.

All I can say is that my heart goes out to all autistic parents no matter who little or how extreme their child may be ...
They are so wonderful but also so vulnerable !
They know no evil nor can they lie and cheat or willfully be an asshole!

Perhaps they are more evolved from us already

Luke
__________________________________________

From: Michael Harpster
Re: The Failure Of Logan Lucky

My specialty is releasing film (over 200) so I watched this closely, along with DETROIT. The normal cost of a wide release is about 10,000/per screen. 3,000 screens would cost at least 30-40 million. Most indies simply can't push that hard and they lack expertise and money.

The sort of bare minimum is $4,000 a screen as a minimum. Below that figure and you get bumped easily.

But Soderberg did only about 8.0 on 3,000 screens .

The key is in the Sat night figure which essentially repeated Friday-in other words, no increase. While his may be a "good" film in a test, it has to work in a competitive environment . This was not enough film and not enough spending to get it over.

Had re released the film on 2,000 screens and done about $3400/screen he would be seen as having a modest success.The extra 1,000 screens cost him between 3 and seven million.

DETROIT suffered some of the same problems. One has to try to hit the right audience with the right spend to have a chance of success in the very difficult arena. And the film must deliver.

Look at BABY DRIVER for contrast-the first Sat was +27% so they got traction.

Just like with music- the kids know on day 1.
__________________________________________

Re: The Failure Of Logan Lucky

"Because you're just another jerk with a megaphone and even if your product is great it's being drowned out by the hype for that which is not."

I've been saying this for years - just not as eloquently.

I'm in a band, and I know firsthand how hard it is to be heard. But even when another unknown artist gives me something of theirs to listen to, I don't. I don't have the time, and I don't believe their hype. And consequently, others don't have time for my music because they have been burned too many times before by other "jerks."

It is a vicious cycle.

Greatness above all.

Keep grinding as the losers fade away.

Andrew Morse
__________________________________________

Subject: RE: Judy

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reaction to "Judy" by Stills & Collins. You pretty much made my year with that. Judy had a top-100 album last year and was a Grammy finalist this year - she has more than done her part in pushing back against ageism in the music industry. As we set out to mix the new album, "Everybody Knows," the chemistry of Collins and Stills together again after 50 years (yikes!) was moving and transcendent. They not only truly rock on the up-tempo tracks, but on the ballads like "So Begins the Task" and "Reason to Believe" pull forth a lump in the throat, not of nostalgia, but of their present powers as artists no matter what the years. Thanks for the support.

Alan Silverman
Producer - Stills & Collins, Judy Collins
__________________________________________

From: Jesse Lauter
Subject: RE: Judy

Hey Bob. Hope you've been well. Writing because I mixed the "Judy" track for Stills & Collins (Alan Silverman produced). Appreciate the letter and I'm glad you dig the song...
__________________________________________

From: Ted Decker
Subject: Re: Judy

Bob: I thought about you the other day. While not as satisfying as hearing your name/song over the radio, you should know I often think about you and the important things you say. Anyway, I was moving my younger daughter into her dorm at The University of Tennessee. Thousands of kids were moving into this freshman dorm area. Piles and piles of stuff were strewn about the courtyard and on the sides of the roads, as people waited for elevators to go up the twelve odd stories of the various buildings. And you know what I noticed... not a single stereo system. Used to be you had a trunk, a couple of boxes, and your STEREO! Now they have everything under the sun, but no stereo. You saw the odd jam box or equivalent, but no stereos. I too remember the right of passage of setting up your stereo, laying down the needle, lighting up, and communing with your friends... magical moments! --Ted
__________________________________________

From: SILENT STORM MANAGEMENT
Subject: Jain

Hi Bob,
Thanks for ur article about Jain's music, here is the new Levi's world commercial with One of her song, hope u will enjoy that great message behind!

https://youtu.be/ZgcgFP9nGqY?utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

Regards.
Cyril Le Tallec

__________________________________________

__________________________________________


RE: DAVE MORRELL

I'm two paragraphs into your post here I worked with Morell for two + years. He is a crook and a liar. Don't believe one word of what he says. For real. The most toxic person I ever came across in the business.

David Wallace
__________________________________________

I made one record under Clive. I'm pretty sure he was deaf. We'd send rough mixes to get vocal approvals (insane in the first place) and he'd sign off like it was a final mix. Once he signed off, you were not allowed to change anything.
Some songs were missing solos and background vocals.
Everyone was so terrified to question his "brilliance".
So stupid.
I guess if you put out 100 records and 3 of them are massive, people forget the other 97 failures.
Jay Ruston
__________________________________________

I knew Dave Morell back in the day. Great guy. He had tons of rare and unavailable Beatles tapes that were mind blowing. Hard working guy who really LOVED the music. Damn right those days are gone. Glad to hear he's hanging in whatever it takes!

Henry Gross
__________________________________________

Bob, I'm looking forward to reading Dave's book. I want to hear the stories, because although the music continues, the promotion side will never be that way again.
Let me share a quick story with you, as my wife and I got back today from buying new living room furniture, to replace the leather couch and two chairs we've had since 2003, when I was still with Atlantic. (1986 – 2005) It was the only label I ever worked for. Never wanted to work for another.
What the hell do leather couches and Atlantic Records have in common?
For the first time in many years, we (The Field Reps) were not going to get our year-end Holiday bonuses. Things were a little tight, after years of being top dog. Atlantic was a billion-dollar label on its own. Not WEA, and the labels combined, Atlantic alone, a billion-dollar label.
It was a bummer not to get the bonus, but so be it, there's always next year. To my surprise, and that of all the rest of us in the field, I received a check in the mail for about $3600.
We bought furniture.
Our Co-Chairman at the time Val Azzoli, took his Executive Year End Bonus, and shared it with the worker bees. He knew who got the job done.
I could tell stories about Jason Flom, and his generosity too, but you most likely know that already.
I rubbed elbows with the greatest Artists in the Industry. Robert and Jimmy, Phil, and Genesis, Rush, Bette, AC/DC, Foreigner, INXS, STP, Kid Rock, I could go on and on. It was never my job to become friends with them. It was my job to serve and promote them. For the most part, the Artists appreciated what I did for them, and I never asked for personal favors.
So… I've got incredible stories to tell, and I think it's important for me to tell them. Not sour grapes, Rock and Roll History. Time is running out.
I'll find a good editor to assist with my writing skills.
My best to you sir,
Michael Stevens
__________________________________________

Have known Dave Morrell for 30 plus years. He was in the business because music was in his soul!

LOVED LOVED LOVED The Beatles! You want to know when he knew when he was O-U-T at Capitol? It was in 1990 when McCartney was touring again after a 14 year hiatus, an artist that Morrell loved and adored. What did the prick at Capitol who was his boss do? Brought entire staff to LA for meetings and then arranged for entire staff to attend Macca show EXCEPT Dave!

He was out the door shortly thereafter following 10 years of doing nothing but delivering. Where does he land on his feet? Only the hottest label on the planet at the time, Geffen Records where he runs the NY office for the white hot label. Why? Because he was so good that the NY radio gate keepers DEMANDED it even after the Geffen hierachy had wanted to go with some flavor of the moment instead of him.

Guy at Capitol got bounced shortly thereafter following an embarassing "centerfold" in an industry trade.

After Geffen merged he brushed himself off and went to work for Hall and Oates before joining Concord Music as labels first in house promotion staffer. He now lectures ocassionally on The Beatles at The Grammy Museum in LA.

Good man who has battled demons and adversity and loved the business for the right reasons!

Rolling Stone even profiled him!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/beyond-beatlemania-19840216?utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

Warmest Regards,
Frederic Traube
Pro Sports Music Marketing LLC
__________________________________________

Bob, I worked with Dave at Capitol in NY. A delightfully flamboyant character, he was the only one in the branch who was as passionate about working there as I was. He got our records on the air, I loaded the stores with them. We shared many many laughs together then, and we still do today. He's working on a book about his Capitol years. Paul Lanning
__________________________________________

When I was in college radio and just getting started as a mobile DJ, people like David Morrell (and Merv Amols in CT), both at Capitol at the time would help with promo records, and they lived and breathed the artists they were plugging whether it was a major act like Seger or Duran Duran, or the Motels or Sly Fox.
They were busy and had major FM stations to service, but Morrell was a fan first - and he would talk Beatles with me for hours back then. He's a good guy and I look forward to reading his current volume, though from what you comment I wish I could've edited it!
Cheers, Charles F Rosenay!!!
www.LiverpoolTours.com
__________________________________________

Dave Morrell was our Capitol promo guy and he was then and is to this day, fab, he knew his job and did it in complete and utterly beautiful fab-ness !

Baxter (Re-Flex)
__________________________________________

I can certainly confirm that Clive Davis was a pompous, arrogant, narcissistic asshole.

And let's not forget he was fired by Columbia for putting his son's bar mitzvah (including redecorating his house) on expenses - or that's what we were told at CBS UK.

I laughed at the news, given that the few hours I'd spent with Clive previously were notable only for the fact that he was Clive Davis and 'who the fuck are you?'.

Still, you don't build a career like his without some skills, so, prick that he was, he wasn't worthless.

Best
Driver 67
__________________________________________

Why shit in someone with such objectively verified success?

Ken Freundlich
__________________________________________

Provocative piece as always. I was thinking only a promotion guy would think he did it all himself but that's not exactly what you said you said he made the difference. Yeah one person can make a difference. I don't think one person makes the difference between a hit and no hits especially at a label as big as Warner Bros. where I spent many years. You really hit the nail on the head with the skill set of the promotion person readily adapting to real estate sales; relationship building, attention to detail, persistence, and a willingness to take on the tough stuff head on like when the band doesn't want to do the radio show....

Steve Tipp
__________________________________________

Thanks for your post about Dave Morrell's latest book (his third in the series). I had the pleasure of working with Dave at Windham Hill / High Street in the mid-90's. He was, and is, a masterful promotion man with a deep love for artists, music, and (most notably) people. I've devoured each book and can't wait for the next one.
I'm looking forward to his retelling of our shared High Street years: we once took the band Timbuk 3 up and down the northeast for a few weeks in 1995 visiting all AAA stations and retailers along the way. From getting fine dining waitstaff to wear our promotional tattoos to meeting crazy fans at laundromats to securing rice milk for the band at bodegas in each city, Dave created memorable experiences everywhere he went.
Dave also has a passion for jukeboxes and once gifted me a 1953 AMI. He turned me on time-and-time again to classic recordings from The Beatles, Etta James, or countless other icons via the warm, crackling sound coming through those speakers in his office at BMG.
I'd love to hear these stories as audio books or via a podcast: no one tells 'em quite like Dave.
Viva to those fans who became the pistons who powered the music biz engine.
Michael Kauffman
__________________________________________

Dave Morrell is as unique and memorable as any record man I ever met. His spirit is STILL infectious. He speaks and you believe. He had as much passion for Donnie Osmond as he did for John Lennon. The first time I met Dave I was headed out to a lunch with Meg Griffin. I had just started my first 'real' radio gig at WNRW, the little station in White Plains, NY where Meg, Howard Stern, Dan Neer and a legendary list of people began their careers, for $96 a week! (It was in Howard's movie) I digress, Dave Morrell was at the station that day getting us to add a Ray Manzarek record on 20th Century Records. We headed out for my first 'promo lunch." Dave and I immediately hit it off and stayed we until late afternoon. Time to pay the bill and he didn't have his wallet…and Meg was broke. Guess who paid? The kid just out of college!
Many years and stations later Scott Muni and I went to visit him at his NJ home where had kept his Beatles archive, where they spilled out over every square inch of his basement. (I understand he lost much of it in a divorce) Damned if he didn't replace it all, and then some. Morrell was, and still is in need of a business manager. He, and only he is qualified to build and curate a Beatles museum. Not only does he know it inside and out, he was there. Of course he got records played on WABC…and he HAD to work for Capitol Records. He, and only he can write the books like the ones he has given us, spelling mistakes and all. No matter where I was, whichever market, whatever year, Dave Morrell was there, and no, he was not an indie. He was the best.

Ted Utz
__________________________________________

From: David Morrell
Subject: Promotion 101

Hi Bob!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Couldn't sleep last night due to the high volume of texts and calls coming from my friends on the East Coast who subscribe to your newsletter…..

As a promo person I've always had to try to get my records noticed by folks that don't know me, don't take calls, won't take advertising and are just plain NOT INTERESTED.

When I was 21 I had to get thru to Scott Muni and Rick Sklar and it wasn't easy!

Nobody starts writing book (reports) and self publish in their 60's and hope to get recognized….that's HARD!…..but after a few tries people would tell me "YOU GOTTA GET TO BOB LEFETZ!!!!"….I'd tell them I don't know the man.

BUT…I did send a note to you when I wrote the first book…….no response……..I wrote a second note and sent the book…..no reply…….

so one day while resting against a tree in Cloverfield Park with my two dogs I saw your street and thought of you…..and my eyes rolled back…..and I began to think…….'how do I get his attention on book 3?'……..i don't want to send another note since that didn't work…..and I didn't want to be a whore and have 'friends' tell you to check it out….so BOOM…..it came to me…..

PROMOTION 101

I took my new book and put a rubber band on the ARISTA section…..i then put a note on it and signed it BONE! (as in MIKE BONE who worked at ARISTA)……then I took the envelope and sent it to TOM GORMAN at a fake address in Santa Monica with your name in the return address spot……

I put a few penny stamps on it to look legit and I tossed it in the mailbox on Ocean and 33rd…….and waited.


I was so happy to not only see that you OPENED it….and READ IT……but GAVE ME THE WHOLE SUBJECT LINE!!!!

thats PROMOTION….thats what I was taught by the pro's!

it's tough world to get your voice heard……it's tough to reach the tastemakers…….

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

ps…..the book is SELLING again like Hot Cakes at RAE'S!…….and guess what?….we have met!……..last time at the Capitol 75th party….you walked right up to me and introduced yourself…..you were wearing sneakers…I wanted to talk but you were heading out…...we first met at the Hollywood Bowl with Monica and Greg……10 long years ago……

lets grab a coffee….have a few laughs...……UnUrban is mmmmmmmm good……!

dave


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/?utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz?utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1&utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25&utm_source=phplist5993&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=Mailbag

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.