Thursday 24 August 2017

Re-Diane Warren

There's an endless supply of magnificent songs that come out of Diane's complex and genius mind, but this is definitely a special one.
She played it for me (on the phone) right after she'd written it. You see, we've known each other for decades and I'm proud to be one of the few she shares her new songs with long before the world gets to hear and be moved by them.
And moved so many will be by the power of this important song, the timeliness of it's message and the artistry of Andra's performance. I'm proud of having introduced these two brilliantly talented women and deeply inspired by what has been created.

And I think this might be Oscar time….

Bruce Roberts

______________________________________________

Excellent piece and yes I agree wholeheartedly.

Diane of course great to see it and you know, always happy to see, and hear what she does.

As we talked daily and got "Till it Happens To You" up and running and we took it to AC radio, ran the campaign on our own. And brought it to number 11 by the Oscars. And as Lady G said, it won the Oscar but just didn't get the award.

And there you have the talent but even more the drive and work ethic. I heard the song after the New York Times article about The Hunting Ground. I called Diane on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and of course she answered the phone as at least the 2 of us were working that day. And we talked almost every day from then until the Oscars, through the Grammys, through the discussions on whether or not Interscope would support it or if LadyG would.

I'm so glad I had that opportunity and many many more over the years with Diane. And I'm proud to know her and have worked with her music. And the funny conversations and conference calls and of course the meals.

Can't wait to hear more and I hope this is truly Oscar time for her!

Regards,
Jeff McClusky

______________________________________________

Few deserve more than Diane. She's one of only a handful who have figured out how not to let (immense!) success get in the way of her connection to the source.

She can be infuriating but when it comes to writing timeless hits very few can touch her and the ones that might are the most iconic of all time.

She's got hits for every artist on the top 40 and all those hits later (I think it's 98 Top 10's) the world still hasn't heard her best songs

Best wishes,

Merck Mercuriadis

PS And she does it 6 days a week!

______________________________________________

I had the privilege of spending an afternoon with her listening to songs for artist when I was at Dreamworks back in 2000. We picked a couple of songs and she said, maybe we should write sometime. I regret never taking her up on it. Great Lady and amazing talent.

BC
Chapin Music Group

______________________________________________

The building Diane now owns was where Tracey Edmund's had Yab Yum Record and Babyface owned or leased the building. it was called Edmunds Tower after SOLAR was shuttered. I was working on a record and met Snoop Dog on the way to the Solar studio on the 3rd floor which was the reason I got to cut over at Westlake on Santa Monica for a group that might have sold 2 copies LOL.

Kenneth H. Williams
WNP/Management Group

______________________________________________

Until last week I'd never heard of Diane Warren. But I like to type in composers names on my iTunes and I had to figure out if Aerosmith really wrote that song Jessica Sanchez killed back in 2012. Diane Warren? I typed it into my own iTunes and out popped a dozen songs I already have even my favorite Marshall Crenshaw's Some Hearts. Then I wikipedia'd and fell over. 7 hit singles at once. 32 top 10. I found that Wiki page, "List of songs written by Diane Warren. " 677 of them - somebody even added Stand Up. Thanks Bob. If anybody could create an anthem I'm glad it was her.

Andrew Caplan

______________________________________________

Glad you went to Diane's building to hear her new song.

She was once a client and I'd drive all the way there in heavy traffic to deliver her custom made organic delicacies.

Every time she'd make me stay and interact. A little awkward, yet I felt her heart was pure. We'd go into a room with a low dark glass table wherein she'd rip the top off of each container, grab a plastic fork and take a taste one after another to then cry out, "this is the shit!! This is THE SHIT!!"

What a gal. What a song. That is THE SHIT!

Melissa Ward

______________________________________________

Diane is just simply otherworldly. When I had my little Teac 4 track studio set up in my little house in Van Nuys in 1976, my girlfriend Dianne Steinberg had a deal on ABC Dunhill and we were writing songs for the record. Freddie Washington called one day and said he wanted us to meet a new writer he had been working with to possibly write some songs with us. We said sure bring over and well check her out. The next day in walks this disheveled looking young girl with Freddie. She wasn't very sociable but seemed serious about her work. We had a Fender Rhodes suitcase piano set up and she played a couple things but she wasn't that much of a singer so we were polite. Then she says "I have a cassette here of a demo of an idea I did this week if you want to help me finish it". I said sure and popped it in the boom box. The song was amazing. I still have that tape somewhere in storage but can't recall the name of it. Dianne and I just sat there staring at each other with our mouths agape. Freddie gave us a wink and Diane W says, "I know it's kinda shitty quality but maybe there's something there?" Dianne and I immediately said in unison, "It's perfect! There's nothing to do on this song...it's a hit!"

She then looked at us kinda disappointed and said, "Really? I think it still needs work. I'll leave the tape with you. See if you can make it better." Then she and Freddie take off. To this day I can't imagine what co-writing a song with Diane Warren must be like, but I'm sure it's intense. A couple years later she was writing hits for everyone and we lost contact with her. What a monster talent!

Kenny Lee Lewis

______________________________________________

Thank you for this one Bob. I've known Diane since before she ever had a hit. She worked the same way then as she does now. She came in every day, wrote for hours, and went home. And I loved it and her and I still do. Over the decades, we have worked on several of her big hits together. She works the same way now that she did in those early years. Her and her piano and her talent. Every single day. I know people who criticize her, but I don't think she cares and neither do I. And I've NEVER heard a major artist or producer criticize her either. In other words, if you know hit music, you know how rare and fantastic Diane Warren is.
I haven't yet heard the song you mention here, but I already hope she wins that Oscar. She is owed many of them.
Thank you Bob and thank you Diane. Diane will always send out those beautiful ships., and I will always delight at seeing her sails on the horizon.

Bill Green

______________________________________________

Awesome story, Diane Warren is bad-ass....

Young Hutchison

______________________________________________

Diane Warren... always a threat.

Desmond Child


--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
http://www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

To change your email address http://lefsetz.com/lists/?p=preferences&uid=0eecea7b60b461717065cbde887c8e25

-- powered by phpList, www.phplist.com --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.